Finally broke down and bought a sewing machine to do belts. So far I've just been making belts for family and friends but thinking about offering belts, gun belts, spur straps, halters, etc for sale. Purchased through Ryan Neel with Neel's Saddlery and Harness. So far so good. Haven't gotten the machine yet but ordering wasn't that difficult.

Only thing that wasn't clear was when Ryan said "Residential" deliver was $250 I figured like all other residential deliveries it would include some help getting it unloaded. The shipping company is going to pull up to my mailbox and its my responsibility to get the 350 lbs sewing machine off the truck and into my garage/house. They are delivering next Wednesday so wish me luck. After two back surgeries I'm hoping that I can handle it. $250 delivery fee you would expect some help or at least a lift gate to lower it to the ground.

I will continue this threat to give my experience of my new machine.

I would offer the driver a cash tip to help you offload it and get it into your garage. They usually offer a lift gate option for an extra $75 or so. Did you request this? It would at least get the machine on the ground.

Or if you know a guy with a tommy gate, maybe get him to back up to the truck and slide it into the pickup

I'm glad I got a 'heads up' about this before I went and bought one! Thanks for letting us know.

I have a Polaris Ranger and Pickup truck. I can go to the end of my 500 ft long drive way and meet the truck. Its getting it from the semi truck to the bed of my pickup truck or the bed of my Polaris thats the problem. The delivery company needs a five our delivery window in the middle of the day. 8am - noon or noon to 5pm. Hard to get standby help for five hours.

I'll get it worked out and be stitching belts by next weekend.

Edited by KY23

Finally broke down and bought a sewing machine to do belts. So far I've just been making belts for family and friends but thinking about offering belts, gun belts, spur straps, halters, etc for sale. Purchased through Ryan Neel with Neel's Saddlery and Harness. So far so good. Haven't gotten the machine yet but ordering wasn't that difficult.

Only thing that wasn't clear was when Ryan said "Residential" deliver was $250 I figured like all other residential deliveries it would include some help getting it unloaded. The shipping company is going to pull up to my mailbox and its my responsibility to get the 350 lbs sewing machine off the truck and into my garage/house. They are delivering next Wednesday so wish me luck. After two back surgeries I'm hoping that I can handle it. $250 delivery fee you would expect some help or at least a lift gate to lower it to the ground.

I will continue this threat to give my experience of my new machine.

Sucks, but this is standard Operating procedure for big tools. When I buy large woodworking equipment, I generally have them ship it to the local shipping center, then I go pick it up there(where they have fork lifts). Saves 100$ or so. Delivery trucks with lift gates are generally smaller and don't haul as much freight, so the economy of shipping costs are higher. The bigger trucks are loaded and off loaded at shipping centers with loading docks and fork lifts/pallet jacks. Shipping companies use to be more accommodating, but not so much anymore.

Are these machines shipped in one large pallet/crate, or is it several smaller boxes on a pallet?

Edited by Colt W Knight

a ramp to slide it down would be very simple. maybe only 20 inches difference from truck to pickup. tie the ramps so they don't slip of the truck. put the table together then slide the machine head off the pickup onto the table. Go slow be careful.

I have farm equipment and horse related items delivered all the time. Residential delivery usually means some type of lift gate. Delivery company seemed pretty surprised I didn't have a fork lift

I will get it figured out. With a lift gate $425 delivery fee is way high in my opinion. If this is my only problem with this project I will be happy. Not a huge issue to get worked out.

I'm a disabled vet with bad knees and back I just can't lift stuff like this anymore and I don't like to ask for help.

Edited by KY23

pcox idea of using a ramp is feasible, but these machines are very heavy with a lot of the weight in the flywheel. You will need a winch or block and tackle to transfer to your pickup. Removing the flywheel could be an option that works.

My CB4500 was delivered in one big crate to a depot and fork lifted onto my truck. When I got it home, I had to demolish the crate and unload all table, motor etc first. The head was too heavy for 1 person to manage. If it is not too late, I think Colts suggestion of having it delivered to where there is a fork lift is probably the most sensible, particularly as you have a bad back.

BTW you have chosen a great machine - i have used mine to sew 3/4" thickness down to very thin leather just by using the appropriate size needles and thread. For belts, get a foot which makes a stitching groove for the thread as it sews! Makes for a very professional job.

Best of luck with this,

Lois

Thanks. But if I get them to load it in my pickup I'm in the same boat getting it out of my truck. Just gives me more time to get it out and with friends to help.

I had the freight company put the pallet with the machine on the curb in front of my house, then unpacked and carted the table, motor, head, etc. and moved them each with a 2 wheel cart into the house, and downstairs (6 steps) where I assembled it. Delivery was via a 40 ft. semi trailer with a lift. There was no extra charge.

Hopefully, the machine your are receiving is packed similarly. If they can't place it on the curb for no extra charge, see if you can get 15 minutes and some help to un-crate quickly and place in a truck or on the curb and move components inside piece by piece.

My back doesn't like me very well either, but I managed. My machine does have a lighter head than yours. I'm sure you can get a couple friends to hang around for a few hours if they know your needs.

Tom

I worked setting tombstones for a while, to unload the stones we took 2 pieces of fire hose and two 2x10's slid them under the stone then raised the 2x10's up and rolled 3/4 or 1 dowels under the 2x10 and pulled the stone to end of the truck bed on the rollers and slid them down to the ground. DON"T stand in front of what ever unloading. It would work to slide in your truck to.

If you want to do that be sure and take some tin snips to cut the bands with and unload a piece at a time with a friend.

You need to tell Ryan he needs a new shipping company. I get machines delivered coast to coast for $250 with lift gate residential delivery. They run it right up to the house on a pallet jack. Diesel prices have went DOWN not up.

Art

I had a techsew 5100 machine and table delivered to a local business that i bribed with beer. No delivery window and liftgate required. Plus delivery to a commercial address was cheaper. It came strapped to a pallet with the table and stuff. The business called me one afternoon to tell me it arrived, and I was there loading it up in 3 hours. I was not wasting a whole day at home to find out the truck can't get close enough or is going to be a day late.....

After i drove the machine to my house, I moved the machine and table myself a half a block downhill and up 4 stairs. It came as a head in a box, and an assembled table and motor. The table was the heaviest, but i was able to pic it up to do the stairs and get it out of the van onto a dolly. I also could pick up the head myself.

While i picked them up and i am very strong, I probably should not have......With a dolly and 2 people it should be not hard at all. Barley bucks go a long way in these situations.

I think uhaul will rent you just a dolly btw.

THE BOLTS STICK OUT THE BOTTOM OF THE TABLE BASE AND WILL GOUGE UP YOUR FLOOR IF YOU SLIDE IT WITHOUT THE WHEELS ON IT!!!!!!!

Ask me how i know............... :whistle:

I just ordered a CB4500 a week and a half ago from Toledo Industrial and I actually called Bob and talked to him yesterday. I had a few questions about overall dimensions so that I can get my shop organized before it gets here. Bob told me yesterday that he ships the unit out on a pallet and that it will be delivered to my door (barn door) and off loaded for me. Luckily I can get at a truck with at least a 40' trailer up to my barn since that's what I have hay delivered on. I was told the trucks they ship on have lift gates which will make my life a lot easier as I had a few rods and screws put in my back a couple of years ago. Bob also only charged $250 for the delivery. Sounds like they definitely need to change their delivery company. Keep us posted on it. If you're like me you're as anxious as a kid at Christmas waiting for it to get here.

The table was the heaviest, but i was able to pic it up to do the stairs and get it out of the van onto a dolly. I also could pick up the head myself.

While i picked them up and i am very strong, I probably should not have......

I'll pretend I didn't read that! 2 person job bud!! :cheers:

Ron

I'll pretend I didn't read that! 2 person job bud!! :cheers:

Ron

I am a farm boy who worked on oil rigs, and also worked swamping moving trucks, both as a younger man. I surprise people all the time. Don't tell me I cain't do it....

KY23, I took delivery of a Techsew 2700. I paid for residential delivery. The day it was to be delivered the UPS guy called me and said whom ever charged me made that "residential delivery" up. Well, it was UPS that was making excuses. The residential delivery mean taking it off of a large truck and putting it on a smaller truck that can drive on residential streets. UPS said, well we don't have a smaller truck today we will try to get a truck and deliver next week. I told them this was not acceptable. So I met the guy at a shopping center with my El Camino. We unpacked it in the truck and put the separate pieces in my truck . . . no problem but not good business.

KY23, I took delivery of a Techsew 2700. I paid for residential delivery. The day it was to be delivered the UPS guy called me and said whom ever charged me made that "residential delivery" up. Well, it was UPS that was making excuses. The residential delivery mean taking it off of a large truck and putting it on a smaller truck that can drive on residential streets. UPS said, well we don't have a smaller truck today we will try to get a truck and deliver next week. I told them this was not acceptable. So I met the guy at a shopping center with my El Camino. We unpacked it in the truck and put the separate pieces in my truck . . . no problem but not good business.

The residential delivery charge exists because they need to change to a smaller truck that can drive on residential streets. Also depending on the delivery location they sometimes have a local truck carrier make the residential deliveries for them.

Ron

Thanks everyone. They are supposed to be delivering from a 40' semi trailer and its my responsibility to get it from the truck to the curb. Not what I expected from residential delivery. I have some help now. I have a truck and a dolly. My basement is a walk in and that is where I'm doing my leather work so easy. I just need to get it down in one piece. Delivery company was not friendly about it at all. Very clear that its my responsibility.

I just found it funny that they were surprised I didn't have a fork lift at my house. I guess they are used to delivering to businesses. I have hay and other farm equipment all the time. Much bigger, much more heavy and shipped further distance and $250 for residential delivery and $175 for a lift gate just seemed a bit much.

Not Ryan's fault but you are right that he needs to find a new delivery company.

Some(most) shipping companies are a bunch of idiots who could care less about their cargo, and end customers as long as the trucks get filled.

The shipping company was behind on tracking for my machine the whole way. It was already on the way to vancouver from edmonton when they had it listed as not arrived in edmonton yet.

Later, It was listed as landed in my city but still on the rail car on a wed morning. I called wed afternoon for an update, to see if it was going to be early. They told me phone back later, it was still on the rail car. I called again on thurs morning at 11 and they said they had no word, it was still on the railcar and they expected it would be on time on friday, but perhaps monday.

The machine was delivered and the truck gone by 1pm thurs......Only 2 hours after i was told it was going to be delivered on friday or monday and was still not unloaded.

I know how far the local depot is from the final address and how long it takes to drive. That machine was already on the local delivery truck when the dispatcher told me it was still on the train. It takes an hour or so to drive, 20 minutes to load and at least 20 mins to unload and get papers signed. Likely was sitting there ready on the dock for local delivery the night before, with the drivers morning route planned out.

I tracked it at 8am on friday just to see, and according to the online tracking it was still listed as being on the railcar, 19 hours after delivery....I was already sewing on it. At around 10am friday the website tracking updated to delivered.......showing the time and date from the day before.

Things to take from this:

1: Never trust the tracking.

2: With business delivery i got it a day early brcause they do not need a delivery window.

3: Ron (techsew)phoned the shipping company and got more info than i could get. They sign the check so they can get the answers.

4: Canadian freightways are a bunch of idiots. This is based on years of experiences with them in my dayjob life......Kingsway, their eastern affiliate whom techsew uses, i know little about but they seemed on it when i phoned the one time for what thats worth.

Edited by TinkerTailor

It is the dealer's responsibility to get it to you the way that you want, you may pay him, but he pays for the shipping. I have found that the simple words "If you can't get it to my door, TAKE IT BACK" will usually elicit the correct action. When the driver arrives back at the terminal with it, a smaller truck with all the requisite equipment will magically appear the next day. Have you told your dealer about the delivery problems? Let HIM fix it.

Art

I should mention that I got exactly the shipping services i asked and paid for. No complaints to Techsew. The machine was a day early, undamaged. Only 1 screw came loose, however ANY time a machine is shipped this far, via multiple stops, a complete bolt check is a good idea. While learning the lube points, and bolt checking a new machine, also go through the adjustments manual and go through ALL the steps but do not change anything. The goal is to get a mental picture of what things look like when the do work, so you are less in the dark when they don't work....

One of the reasons i chose business delivery is when it is a business, they know it is open, so they will just fire it on the next local truck. With a residential delivery window they have to plan. It is just funny that they did the shipping part perfectly, the tracking? Not so much.

It would have been way better business to say when i called "Yes mr tailor, we did our best and the good news is it will be early. We can delay it until the expected delivery date if you choose, or just get it out on the next truck. "

THIS is how you win customers.

They missed an opportunity to toot their horn when they were ahead of the game and by not tracking it properly. This achieved the opposite effect, they look bad....