Equiplay Saddlery

My New Shop - Small But Comfortable

I finally decided it was time to dedicate a work space to leather work and getting serious about building saddles. I closed off half of my woodworking shop and turned it into a leather shop. I used a lot of recycled/donated lumber and have less than $800 in the whole project (including the new pegboard, tables, etc.). The catalyst was getting my new CB 4500 and needing a controlled environment to put it in (that and my wife was tired of all the leather boxes in the house). My cutting table is 39" x 87". My stamping/tooling table is 32" x 48" and the top is made of 3 layers of 3/4" oak plywood glued and screwed together. My gluing/skiving table is 32" x 60". The glass top was a freebie and is bigger than I wanted but hey that is easy to change. The metal pegboard is great. I use it in my woodworking shop to hang a LOT of tools on. I even used it here for hanging patterns. My used A/C was a gift and the heater and ceiling fan were Christmas presents. (Yes I had an AWESOME Christmas this year!) The belt is the first thing I made in my new shop and was a Christmas present for a friend. Feel free to critique it. I always enjoy hearing different ideas.

post-52418-0-93965700-1451180849_thumb.j

post-52418-0-81317900-1451180867_thumb.j

post-52418-0-44831600-1451180877_thumb.j

post-52418-0-68034500-1451180888_thumb.j

post-52418-0-29019700-1451180906_thumb.j

post-52418-0-51395000-1451180916_thumb.j

post-52418-0-41938200-1451180926_thumb.j

post-52418-0-56388500-1451180938_thumb.j

post-52418-0-26511200-1451180945_thumb.j

post-52418-0-92508400-1451180969_thumb.j

Looks great to me .... maybe a small flat screen tv that doubles as computer monitior and and you're all set. (I listen to the news and look stuff up while I work)

Amazing for $800 !

Edited by Primosand

Looks great to me .... maybe a small flat screen tv that doubles as computer monitior and and you're all set. (I listen to the news and look stuff up while I work)

Amazing for $800 !

Thanks Primosand. I was lucky enough to already have the building and the ability to do the work myself. Someday I would like to add a tv/computer but that is certainly way down on my priority list. For now I will just have to settle on a good old fashioned radio and walking to the house to use the computer.

Nice shop bud,,,,

I like your shop, ideas,

I need a new shop as well !

Will consider all aspects of yours, for mine ?

I'm thinking maybe this spring or summer, I might start on mine. ----------- Wild Bill46

Very nice. That belt is incredible! I hope to learn to do something like that.

That is a great set up. I like the idea of the glass for gluing/skiving. Looks like you are set make saddles with the saddle horse?

What are you using as your cutting mat?

nice! what's the granite slab for?

Edited by IvoryCreek

Granite slab is used when stamping leather - provides a solid surface with no bounce.

Beautiful shop. Congratulations.

14 hours ago, Harrycho said:

Very nice. That belt is incredible! I hope to learn to do something like that.

Thanks Harrycho.

9 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Beautiful shop. Congratulations.

Thanks.  I wish it got a little more use but my regular paying job just seems to keep getting in the way. :unsure:

Yeah, life and work are always working against us having fun.

14 hours ago, plinkercases said:

That is a great set up. I like the idea of the glass for gluing/skiving. Looks like you are set make saddles with the saddle horse?

What are you using as your cutting mat?

Plinkercases it works great with the glass.  Glue wipes right off and there is nothing to damage the leather when you're skiving.  My cutting mat is an old piece of hard rubber that my teacher gave me.  He's been using a piece of it for about 20 years and it's still going strong.  I have no idea where it came from but I'm glad to have it.

That's a wonderful setup. I love getting a peek at other people's workspace. I just reorganized my garage for the 5th time to try to work in an extra 8' bench. When I told my wife we should be looking at a bigger house so I can expand the business, her eyes lit up like the day we said "I do" :)

Edited by JerseyFirefighter

2 minutes ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

That's a wonderful setup. I love getting a peek at other people's workspace. I just reorganized my garage for the 5th time to try to work in an extra 8' bench. When I told my wife we should be looking at a bigger house so I can expand the business, her eyes lit up like the day we said "I do" :)

:rofl: