KBCustom

Favorable Tooling Leathers?

Hi Everyone,

I have been slowly working my way into a better quality of tooling leather, unfortunately the price increases as well. I have been pretty partial to the European Bends from tandy. The quality of leather is very good with little to no flaws in the leather. My question is, i am looking for a comparable quality of tooling leather for a lower cost. What does everyone use for tooling leather?

Thank you

KB Custom leather

what are you saying is a far price ? I've bought from mac pherson leather in seattle or his brother at Montana leather in billings if I can cut around some scaring i'll buy their mid grade

Hermann Oak and/or Wickett & Craig. The H.O. is a bit pink when natural, teh W/C tends to be more pale (though not white). Both tool very well.

they sell Hermann oak I'm sure

A 4x2 ft European bend i am getting at $130.00

And this also what they are like. Türe are very good reasons aus HO, W&C or Chahin are a bit pricey. They are worth every cent.

I TOO ARE LOOKING FOR SOME GOOD LEATHER 8/9 OZ. I WAS ALSO LKOOKING TO TANDY SINGLE BEND or W & C , which is $ 8.68 per ft. for 8/9 oz., which is about $ 220.00 for a side. KBCUSTOM, where did you get $130.00 from ? I get wholesale price from Tandy, & it's $ 155.00 for 8/9 oz. single bend. What is recommended ???

I buy a ton of supplies from the tandy down the street here in CO. The manager cuts me a bit more of a deal off my wholesale price since i buy them so frequently.

4' x 2' is 8 sq feet. At $130, that's $16.25 per foot. W/C backs (sides minus that crap belly leather) for under $10.

Comparing to the bend, a back is the bend plus the single shoulder.

H.O. only purchased either direct from tannery, or through Springfield Leather in MO or Hide House in CA (when I don't need a huge order). In ALL cases it is far cheaper from all of them for the higher quality leather than anything Tandy will push out (remember, they attempted to carry H.O. in the 8/9 oz. weight this past year and their best pricing was WAY above anywhere else for that same side; that is why they have discontinued to carry it). The most important thing to consider here is how much you intend to purchase on any order and where you are located; don't need to pay more for shipping than is necessary. And both Springfield and Hide House will give you wholesale pricing as long as you meet their requirements of being a business operation.

The Euro bends from Tandy are decent leather when they have them on sale at a large dicscount. Tandy shifted from selling leather per sq. ft. to their new pricing model of per piece a couple of years ago. When you actually calculate out the per sq. ft. cost of what they are selling it is beyond ridiculous. Some of the tooling leather pieces are in excess of $18 per sq. ft. You can buy twice as much WC or HO at those prices. I looked at some leather they had on sale that was supposed to be double shoulders, I don't know what kind of cattle they were using but it was sure small compared to what I have bought from Wickett and Craig or Hermann Oak.