Kash

Leather Hole Punch Giveaway

Karina, I helped him out by PM. Btw. you can get oval punches for all standard revolving punches including the CS Osborne one, which to me is the best revolving punch on the market.

Karina, I helped him out by PM. Btw. you can get oval punches for all standard revolving punches including the CS Osborne one, which to me is the best revolving punch on the market.

I tell ya', I learn something new everyday. I only have one rotary punch out of the many I have, that the tubes can actually be replaced on, but I never knew you could get oval punches for them. Now I know.

Karina

Perhaps the problem with the link is that this topic is in the "Show Off" category not in the "For Sale" category. Selling stuff here is against forum rules I believe.

PM sent for future consideration.

This topic has been removed to the proper Marketplace category. It is going to be a little hard to find the actual subject among the 4,500 entries under "leather hole punch" on amazon without a little help from the seller. Nonetheless, this is a blatant ploy to access the many, many, active members here on leatherworker.net (many thousands).

To the OP, please fill out your profile data, impressions are important, and no profile gives a bad impression.

To the rest who didn't get a chance at the "free" deal; you don't have to buy a product on amazon (or get it free) to write a review. The review can point out that the other reviewers got the product free for a review. It can also point out why CSO or Sprenger punches are superior or whatever. Even a CSO or Sprenger punch can't beat one you can hit with a hammer, and if you are even reasonably competent at sharpening, you can find belt punches that will do the job all over ebay for practically nothing.

Art

... It is going to be a little hard to find the actual subject among the 4,500 entries under "leather hole punch" on amazon without a little help from the seller. ... It can also point out why CSO or Sprenger punches are superior or whatever. Even a CSO or Sprenger punch can't beat one you can hit with a hammer, and if you are even reasonably competent at sharpening, you can find belt punches that will do the job all over ebay for practically nothing...

I got one of these higher quality (heavy duty I would say) but no-name punch pliers from Amazon last year. It's made in Taiwan and I've been very pleased with it. It's solid, not cheap for sure but it compares well with some (very) similar looking name brand products that cost far more (I suspect the manufacturer supplies other companies).

I got one of these higher quality (heavy duty I would say) but no-name punch pliers from Amazon last year. It's made in Taiwan and I've been very pleased with it. It's solid, not cheap for sure but it compares well with some (very) similar looking name brand products that cost far more (I suspect the manufacturer supplies other companies).

You're right. That manufacturer makes it for quite a few. The cheapest source in the US is Jeffers pet http://www.jefferspet.com/products/leather-punch

I'm having the Osborne branded one and that one. No difference at all. Unfortunately they only ship within the US and to Canada.

To the OP, please fill out your profile data, impressions are important, and no profile gives a bad impression.

To the rest who didn't get a chance at the "free" deal; you don't have to buy a product on amazon (or get it free) to write a review. The review can point out that the other reviewers got the product free for a review. It can also point out why CSO or Sprenger punches are superior or whatever. Even a CSO or Sprenger punch can't beat one you can hit with a hammer, and if you are even reasonably competent at sharpening, you can find belt punches that will do the job all over ebay for practically nothing.

Art

Don't most websites frown upon companies that pay people for reviews? That is what is happening here. What is the point of a review site if you can buy good reviews.......

The problem with the Other "look alike" punches vs the CSO punch is that the CSO tubes fit the CSO Rotary and the CSO Single tube punches and most all of the competitor brands do not. CSO has been making that same Punch and Tubes (and anvil) for as long as I can remember, so it's not their fault. It is not like the Taiwanese and Chinese can't make SAE threading, it is just they won't for some reason.

Does anyone really in their fondest maginations, think we are going to convert peacefully, well maybe if ALL the manufacturing leaves the US, but then who will have enough money to buy their stuff?

I don't have too much trouble with getting something free to write a review (has to be able to go either way though), and I don't recommend something I haven't used (and abused). A few manufacturers send me things for review, and seldom do they want something used returned, even if the review is crappy. So I don't think they are paying for a review, even here where it is a little blatant.

Art

I got my free hole punch today and punched a bunch of holes in some scrap veg tan. Works better than my cs osborne rotary punch. The punches came sharper and the articulated handles apply more force with less pressure, and it doesn't have that spring steel to pinch the shit out of your hand.

I don't know how it will hold up, but I think it's worth their ~20$ asking price.

Do we get to see the tools and the reviews?

This topic has been removed to the proper Marketplace category. It is going to be a little hard to find the actual subject among the 4,500 entries under "leather hole punch" on amazon without a little help from the seller. Nonetheless, this is a blatant ploy to access the many, many, active members here on leatherworker.net (many thousands).

Art

I'm with you on this. I been using the Tandy rotary punch for a few years and the tubes and anvil have never lined up right making for a real PITA. Recently a spring flew out of the handle and something inside the wheel broke. I wasn't expecting it to last forever but I was kind of disappointed it broke the way it did.

So I pulled out a set of cheap hole punches you hit with a hammer I had sitting unused in a drawer, and I have to say I am really wondering why I been using that stupid rotary punch all these years. I'm converted and I see no reason to go back. For now. Ask me again in a few years and see if I'm still happy with them.

I'm with you on this. I been using the Tandy rotary punch for a few years and the tubes and anvil have never lined up right making for a real PITA. Recently a spring flew out of the handle and something inside the wheel broke. I wasn't expecting it to last forever but I was kind of disappointed it broke the way it did.

So I pulled out a set of cheap hole punches you hit with a hammer I had sitting unused in a drawer, and I have to say I am really wondering why I been using that stupid rotary punch all these years. I'm converted and I see no reason to go back. For now. Ask me again in a few years and see if I'm still happy with them.

For leather craft work, I don't see much use in a pliers type rotary punch. However, When I was in the horse business. Punching holes in bridles and saddles while they were on the horse would have been impossible with a hand held punch and hammer.

For leather craft work, I don't see much use in a pliers type rotary punch. However, When I was in the horse business. Punching holes in bridles and saddles while they were on the horse would have been impossible with a hand held punch and hammer.

The only thing I can think of that was slightly more convenient with the rotary punch was the ease of changing hole size. The hole punches I use now you have to screw a different head on every time you want to make a different size hole. But it only takes about 10 seconds to change heads, so I'm not sure if it's really that inconvenient. As much as I came to hate that rotary punch, it would have to be a whole lot more than changing heads to make me go back.

The only thing I can think of that was slightly more convenient with the rotary punch was the ease of changing hole size. The hole punches I use now you have to screw a different head on every time you want to make a different size hole. But it only takes about 10 seconds to change heads, so I'm not sure if it's really that inconvenient. As much as I came to hate that rotary punch, it would have to be a whole lot more than changing heads to make me go back.

That does sound annoying, I like using the individual CS Osborne punches. I don't like the screw in things because they seem to unscrew when I don't expect it. They don't come sharp, but they do a good job once sharpened. My Tandy punches fell apart after sharpening. I think only the very tips were hardened.

Edited by Colt W Knight

That does sound annoying, I like using the individual CS Osborne punches. I don't like the screw in things because they seem to unscrew when I don't expect it. They don't come sharp, but they do a good job once sharpened. My Tandy punches fell apart after sharpening. I think only the very tips were hardened.

The ones I got are super sharp. But I don't doubt they aren't high quality. I'll probably look to pick up a better set when these dull.

There's a trick to the unscrewing thing. After you hammer them, you want to twist them clockwise to pull them out. You have to get used to going against the natural inclination to twist counterclockwise which is probably ingrained in you as it was myself. So you'll be tightening them instead of unscrewing them.

The ones I got are super sharp. But I don't doubt they aren't high quality. I'll probably look to pick up a better set when these dull.

There's a trick to the unscrewing thing. After you hammer them, you want to twist them clockwise to pull them out. You have to get used to going against the natural inclination to twist counterclockwise which is probably ingrained in you as it was myself. So you'll be tightening them instead of unscrewing them.

Buy a whole set for each size (6?)you need on sale, and put one size in each handle. Thread lock them in. This gives you 6 replacement tips for each size as well... I have found the same sets for 7.99 before. I have nicer bigger drive punches, but only have the small sizes in mini-punch sets, and have never seen a reason to change. If i get through all my spare tips in a particular size due to breakage, or dullness, I will buy a better punch in that size only.

Unless i find an awesome deal at a thrift store/garage sale.....which has been known to happen. As a matter of fact i found a hand forged antique cobblers hammer with a flat face 2" wide and oddly a 1" domed head instead of the standard "horn" on most cobblers hammers for $2.50 two days ago...New handle cost me 5 bux. $7.50 is my kinda hammer price.

I love garage/estate sales, but my wife has threatened me with violence if I buy any more junk :)

But yea I thought of doing that with the mini punch sets. It's a good idea.

I love garage/estate sales, but my wife has threatened me with violence if I buy any more junk :)

But yea I thought of doing that with the mini punch sets. It's a good idea.

Get on the one-out one-in program. If you plan on shopping, make it a point to let her see you get rid of some crap before....

I have enough tools that she would never even notice another one......but she likes shoes. Its all about balance. She doesn't look in my toolbox, and i don't look in her shoe closet. Happy wife, Happy life.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Happy wife, Happy life.

You got that right. That's why I sold off a lot of the junk that was taking up space and made a workshop in my basement.

I still haven't seen any pictures or web address where you can purchase the punch.

Here you go. I got mine yesterday, but didn't get around to opening it until this afternoon. Trust me when I say you aren't missing out on anything. Definitely not 5 star. (JMO)

post-32363-0-88204200-1452813473_thumb.ppost-32363-0-59559400-1452813407_thumb.ppost-32363-0-77988500-1452813589_thumb.jpost-32363-0-96986200-1452813423_thumb.p

That plastic strike plate with the sliver of brass in it will be the first thing to go. They gave you two but it wont hold up.

Edited by veedub3

Thanks veedub. Finally got to see some pictures.

Ha Ha :) Back to the old sayings... everything that's to good to be true........ I wasted my time reading true four pages just to see this crap :)

A leather work shop need all kinds of different hole punch, I use both hand held punches, pliers (rotary and straight single tube) and press machine. I got to be able to do all kinds of jobs.

By the way Thor,

where can I buy these oval screw-in rotary tubes. And what kinds of pliers do they fit. I have several different hole punch pliers; old stock US,English and German made. included a unmarked CSO look-a-like that I am very pleased with. Bought secondhand on Ebay, so I do not know where it's made.

Thanks

Tor

Tor, one source would be here http://sattlerbedarf-shop.de/epages/c59aed11-e2bc-485e-949a-91cc2ce760a3.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c59aed11-e2bc-485e-949a-91cc2ce760a3/Products/%22Lz%20006%22

If you use the German terms "Lochpfeife oval" on Google Germany you'll find quite a few places. Sorry my Norwegian sucks.

I'm pretty sure I suggested Rickert Werkzeuge several times on here already https://www.rickert-werkzeug.de/de/Allgemein/Lochen-Stanzen/Selzer-Oval-Lochpfeife-6-x-4-mm.html

Or various choices here http://www.lederhaus.de/lederwerkzeug/lochzange.php

If you don't have the Selzer tool already, don't bother buying it. If I wouldn't have a set of punches already I'd consider buying the set with the replaceable tubes Lederhaus sells.

The CSO look-a-like is made by several manufacturers. One is Anzleather in India. The price ranges around 25 EUR in Germany for that one. I believe I mentioned that I have the original CSO and the noname one. Can't see any difference than in price and a CSO logo on the other one.