GrampaJoel

Roper Style Wallet, Center Spacing Help Please

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of making a roper style wallet.

I am looking for input about the distance in the center. The area of the wallet that folds.

I have my card slots made, but the center area that's empty has me stumped.

Also overall dimensions would be helpful if you care to share them.

Thanks

Joel

Joel, read these:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20414&hl=wallet

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55273&hl=wallet

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=58551&hl=wallet

If non of those are helping you any then I'm having at least two or three in my pattern board on Pinterest here https://www.pinterest.com/riding1493/cutting-patterns/

This is my favorite pattern though:

post-58609-0-36109300-1452529189_thumb.j

Scale to whatever you feel happy with. My dimensions are 19 to 19.7 cm for the overall length.

This is what it can look like. Just play around with it. http://oldmillleathercrafts.thewesternsource.com/biker-wallets/

That's a broad question. Gonna depend on the pockets you want to use. A belt needs to fit the waist, and a holster needs to fit the gun, but wallets can be any size / shape you care to make.

I sometimes make one that folds vertically - some might call it a 'roper' (whatever that is). 7 1/2" wide x 7 1/4" high, then pockets 3 1/4" wide, leaving room for cash/cards/stuff, and leaving "about" 1" between the pockets for the fold.

Thor,

Thank you for your very quick response. I looked at your Pinterest page and your Bowery wallet is close to what I'm making.

I also looked at the links you posted, but none actually had the diamensions posted. That I needed.

JLSLeather.

Thank you for the the dimensions. That is really what I needed.

Again thank you both for the very quick replies.

I've been away from this site for quite awhile. Health issues. Have actually been thinking about selling off my shop.

But I knew that all I had to do was ask here and the members would generously offer the answers.

This site and its members are truly a blessing.

Thanks again!

Joel

Thor,

I checked out your Pinterest page and all I can say is Thank You! :) As for your favorite pattern that you posted above, and I suppose for most all wallets, what is best to use for the liner/pockets?

Thank you!

Thank you indidana. I'm using veg tanned leather. Thus far I used cow, goat and deer skin with success. If you were to roll the edges you could use chrome tanned leather just as well. In cheap wallets they are using very thin cardboard to give it stability. The leather I'm using is anywhere between 1 to 1.5 mm thick and not too soft. I guess I should mention that I'm putting the coin pouch on the other side cause it makes it easier to get the coins out. You need some play or you have to "fold" the wallet to get at them comfortably. I will be trying a flap on the next one for myself just to see if that's any easier. Also going to try a single gusset with the zippered pouch.

Joel, I'm not providing figures to that gap in between cause if the provided template is laid out to the overall dimensions as provided the gap is 1" automatically. Someone was actually thinking something by crafting the template.

Thor, I understand what you are saying about your patters working out. They are nice patterns.

But I am not using a pattern you made.

So I needed some info other than what you are providing in your post about your wonderful patterns.

My original question was just a simple question about the gap in the center of a long wallet. Not how to make a wallet using Thors patterns.

If I was just making a wallet I would do it my way. But, I'm making one for someone that wants it done like a wallet they saw on the Internet .

So I simply asked for the gap distance in the center of a long wallet. Often called a roper wallet where I live.

JSLeather saw my question. Understood what I was asking, and simply answered it. Thats all.

No big deal.

Joel

Glad I could be of use for once, Joel. Yer FUNNY ;)