Bigpaws

Pancake Holster For Shield - 1St Holster

Lots of mistakes! My new Shield just got out of jail (stupid California 10 day wait!!!) and I needed an OWB holster for it as a requirement for a CCW class this past weekend. I didn't want to mess around creating a pattern so I downloaded Jeff's (JLS Leather) pancake Shield pattern and went to work.

I've gotta say, the pattern is right on the mark in terms of fit and function. I don't really like the ultra-detailed, highly boned look, and what I ended up with has all of the practical elements I was looking for: great retention, excellent grip access, easy draw (once it broke in), very comfortable to wear (3 o'clock is perfect for me).

As to the aesthics, there are some issues....first of all, the only suitable leather I had on hand was 6 oz. so I had to go with lining to thicken things up. This caused me to have to stitch the top and bottom open parts as well as the sight protector piece, something I wouldn't have to do on subsequent non-laminated builds. I also forgot to stitch the outer portion until after I formed the holster.....major mistake, as it gave me grief, especially when stitching the toe area (next to the front sight)....the presser foot got hung under the edge of the reinforcement piece and screwed the stitch length up big time.

As mentioned, this was a "git 'er done now" project for my own personal use. This would never have gone out even as a gift. Going forward, I need to pay more attention to sanding my edges, sewing things up in the correct sequence, and just take a little more time as I go.

I used a Food Saver to form the contours over a Blue Gun....if I want more detail, I'm thinking I'll need to go with my shop press, although the reinforcement piece is a horsehide scrap and I'm not sure how that plus lamination would fare.

I did get a few very positive comments at the range....even a potential order for a combo holster, belt, and magazine holder for a Beretta 92FS.

All in all, it was a great learning experience and I can't wait to make more holsters. Up til now, most of my stuff has been horse tack, belts, and knife sheaths...next personal project is for an avenger style holster for my Colt Officer's .45.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd share my first holster build with y'all. Thanks again to Jeff for a great pattern.

Very much open to suggestions/critiques/comments.

Rick

post-41717-0-23934800-1452533714_thumb.j

Nice job! Real clean!

Thanks fer tha hollah ;) I gotta say, though, that looks purdy good fer a "fail" !#!#@!

Looks great to me. I tend to like relatively plain holsters, and yours is nice - simple and functional.

Looks great to me!

where in Kali did you take the ccw class? and where are you planning on applying at if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks for the comments fellas.

Oldnslow,

I'm in Placer County (Northern CA, just outside of Sacramento). Most of the Sheriff's in this part of the state are pretty good about issuing license to carry concealed.

oh ok, I know of one person who got one from San Bernardino County during last year and I am curious if some of the law enforcement is lightning up about signing off on the permits after the recent shootings? I have heard that a lot of the gun shops have been running low on stock back there after the shootings in the south land, and have also hear the some of the Pastors in some churches are support concealed if a person is licensed to do so. Such a shame to take a mishap to cause a change in attitude.

That turned out really nice

That came out nice. I think this is going to be my 2nd holster when I get some different leather. What dye did you use on that?? Anymore holsters in the works?

Tranger03,

Dye is Dark Mahogany, reinforcement piece color is Bordeaux, both from Tandy. It (the reinforcer) is horsehide, and it turned out a little darker and redder than what I imagined.

Next holster projects are for an avenger style holster for a 1911 Officer's model (3.5" bbl), and belt, magazine carrier, and pancake holster for a 92FS.

I've got some beavertail scraps that I'm thinking would look real nice as framed background on the 1911 reinforcement piece.