Dougster

Source For 206Rb5? (Should I Consider A Different Machine?)

Hiya everybody,

I called Toledo Industrial, but apparently the Consew 206RB5 is hard to come by. He suggested the Cowboy 3200 instead. My future plans include getting a Cowboy 4500 or similar, but I'd like to start out with a flat bed machine since I have a wide variety of leather and non-leather sewing projects to do.

What other source should I use for the 206RB5? I see them listed on ebay by Alberoni and Zamir. Any experience with either of those sellers?

Any other machines I should look at in this same general class?

Thanks!

Doug

Lots of them for sale online, but I don't know if they are drop shipped or in stock. The ones on Amazon and several sewing supply sites look a little pricey at 1500-1700$

Check out CL dallas, leather sewing machine. consew 206rb $1250.

Perhaps check out the Techsew 1660. It appears to be a very nicely done copy of the Juki 1508 with specs on par with the 206RB5, plus some nice "modern" features like a built-in bobbin winder. The whole design is a few decades younger than the RB and Juki engineers made a lot of good decisions over time, I think. Might be worth checking out. Personally, I'm partial to vertical-axis hooks with large bobbins in flatbed machines, but that's just me.

Edited by Uwe

Purchased a new machine from Zamir sewing a couple of years ago. Was very happy with the transaction, and the machine had been set up to the specs I had requested. I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.

Gregg at Keystone for the RB5, but Highlead also makes a machine that is maybe better, ask Gregg. The Juki LU 1508 is also very good and again Highlead may clone it.

Art

I recently bought a 206RB5 from Zamir, 1270.00 delivered.

Helped a lot before the sale and was just ok after the sale, didn't answer email.

But all in all, I'd probably buy from Zamir again.

He has a couple of Consew Premier machines that might be worth looking at, P1206 and P1541.

My only problem with the Consew is the start up speed, to fast, so I ordered a speed reducer from Bob Kovar at Toledo Sewing. I do like the Consew a lot though.

Just my 2 cents worth...

See also the Seiko STH-8BLD-3. Same as the Consew 206, but made in Japan. Check out the Juki 1541, too. Li'l cheaper than the 1508 (but a horizontal-axis hook, like the 206).

Also from Gregg: http://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/9734e551a7b84990b24431b3edd65d91

I ordered my 335 from Zamir. It was drop-shipped in fine working order. Though, the binding attachment he sold me didn't work with the machine. Also, he told me these were still made in Germany. They are not. Lesson learned. :cowboy: Follow Wiz's advice below.

[c]

Edited by coryleif

Anybody contemplating purchasing a new Consew or Juki, or any other brand of industrial sewing machine for leather, should strongly consider buying it from one of our member/contributing dealers who have a vested interest in this forum. These guys will support you after the sale and assist with timing and operational problems you may experience. I count Gregg at Keystone as one of these contributing members. He, along with "Cowboy" Bob Kovar, "Cobra" Steve Tayrien, "Techsew" Ron and "Able" Darren Brosowski stand behind what they sell. Sure, you may find slightly better prices on eBay, but not the pre-sale advice and after-sale support many first time industrial sewing machines owners often need.

If anybody is curious where the money comes from to keep this forum's server up and running, look no further than the banner ads on the top of every page.

Edited by Wizcrafts

I bought a Consew 206RB5 from Zamir several years ago.

It hadn't been adjusted for anything. Between Wiz and Bob Kovar I got it set up.

I also ordered a binder attachment from Zamir with the assurance it would work. There was no way in hell it was going to work. I emailed him numerous times.

He finally answered me saying, "I don't have time to waste talking to you." I returned the binder, he never refunded my money.

He has crook written all over him and for those of you that have had good luck with him, good for you. Mark that up on the wall.

ferg

Bob has been really good to me and helping me with motors, needles, and thread. I am going to buy a big 441 machine from him when I get settled into my new workshop.

Bob has been really good to me and helping me with motors, needles, and thread. I am going to buy a big 441 machine from him when I get settled into my new workshop.

Have you done any business with Cathey's? They say they can get me a Consew, set it up, and teach me to use it for $2000. I like them, but that seems a bit much...

Have you done any business with Cathey's? They say they can get me a Consew, set it up, and teach me to use it for $2000. I like them, but that seems a bit much...

I went in there once. It was basically just a quilting shop catering to old ladies and vacuum repair. 700$ over retail sounds like highway robbery. I asked them about a leather sewing machine, and they quotes me an outrageous price for that too.

I went in there once. It was basically just a quilting shop catering to old ladies and vacuum repair. 700$ over retail sounds like highway robbery. I asked them about a leather sewing machine, and they quotes me an outrageous price for that too.

Yeah, when you walk in a place and the first thing you see is a $20k embroidery machine and the second thing you see is a $6k Babylock serger, it's a pretty big hint. If I had six grand myself, I'd get a Campbell or Union Lockstitch...!

Cathey's does have a good reputation for repairs though...

I have synapses firing that remind me of an acquaintance who keeps asking variations of the same question in the hopes of hearing the desired answer, and Alanis Morissette singing an ironic song in my head about some good advice not taken.

There are maybe less than 20 places in the U.S. that know leather sewing machines. Reliable folks on leatherworker.net have been trying to suggest who they are and where to find them. Cathy's won't know a 135x16 from a 135x17, and they might not know about the 16 at all. I think most of us are at the point of giving up.

So Doug, what sewing machine and dealer do you want us to recommend, so we can cut and paste a reply for you?

Art

I have synapses firing that remind me of an acquaintance who keeps asking variations of the same question in the hopes of hearing the desired answer, and Alanis Morissette singing an ironic song in my head about some good advice not taken.

LOL. Mainly makin' small talk with a fellow Tucsonan...

At this point, I'm on hold until after the SW leather workers trade show in Prescott. I already contacted Ron about the Techsew, and I'll be talking to Gregg at Keystone before I buy anything.

EDIT: BTW, that is one lame-ass song. Is anything in it really ironic?

Edited by Dougster

So Doug, what sewing machine and dealer do you want us to recommend, so we can cut and paste a reply for you?

Heehee, ok, thanks, I'll shut up now.

Seriously though, I most appreciated Wiz listing the dealers that work with and support this forum. I also appreciate the other leads for Gregg at Keystone.

Hey Uwe and Art,

Just to continue pushing your buttons, I found an Adler 67GK373 locally. (Or should I not buy it because the guy isn't on your approved dealer list?)

:head_hurts_kr::surrender::cheers:

Go for it! Those are really nice machines. Coming across an nice used machine locally is a lucky break.

Doug,

I really want you to think seriously before pushing a moderator's buttons.

The 67 (167 et al) machines are great, and a good one will serve the medium category very well. Parts will be expensive.

I don't certify dealers, but there are probably less than 10-15 who deal in machines and set them up for heavier leather sewing. If you are new to this stuff, there is only so much we or anyone can do for you here or over the Internet or telephone; that is why a dealer is a good idea.

Since you know it all, there is little we can do for you here.

Art

Go for it! Those are really nice machines. Coming across an nice used machine locally is a lucky break.

I'm amazed at how smooth the Adler is! It makes the Consew actually seem almost a bit...clunky... (If that makes sense...)

Has anyone had any dealings with Sunny Sewing machine center in Dallas Tx.? They have a Consew 205RB-5 new /servo etc at what seems a good price 1250.

Around 600 less than the Techsew I have been looking at. Tks.

The 67 (167 et al) machines are great, and a good one will serve the medium category very well. Parts will be expensive.

I'm loving this thing! You're right about expensive parts...the stitch length screw and locking lever were trashed, so I looked into getting new parts. $57! I can see why someone might have been using a pair of vise-grips on it. Sigh...