tardis86

Need Some Help

the last 2 projects i have done havent turned out so well.

for starters, when i tried using my chisel to punch the holes, the glue didn't hold and made it all crooked as seen top left.

i then tried using a dremel to drill the holes with not much more luck.

i use rubber cement to glue stuff together, should i get something better?

should i maybe punch the holes in the front piece first to make it easier to go through the back piece?

is the leather too thick?

i feel like im missing something here, i put alot of time in this stuff and it looks like crap.

any helpful ideas are appreciated.

IMG_20160207_142928.jpg

IMG_20160207_142918.jpg

IMG_20160207_144655.jpg

Rubber cement is not intended to be permanent. It's fine for holding parts together long enough to sew or lace,but really not to take the shock of a chisel pulled out of it.

I use it on small projects - and I do sometimes use a thonging chisel for lacing slits. But it's in thin leather, allowed to dry somewhat before sticking, and the parts are held down while the chisel is pulled.

Rubber cement is not intended to be permanent. It's fine for holding parts together long enough to sew or lace,but really not to take the shock of a chisel pulled out of it.

I use it on small projects - and I do sometimes use a thonging chisel for lacing slits. But it's in thin leather, allowed to dry somewhat before sticking, and the parts are held down while the chisel is pulled.

what do you use instead of a thonging chisel in thick leather? and what glue do you recommend?

Edited by tardis86

renia aquilim 315

masters fast drying

masters bought out barge years ago

renia makes some other glue that we used . we used a solvent called #2 for a thinner.

Weldwood contact cement, . . . and a leather working awl to do the holes.

The first one will hold it, . . . the second will poke it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Weldwood contact cement, . . . and a leather working awl to do the holes.

The first one will hold it, . . . the second will poke it.

May God bless,

Dwight

i REALLY don't want to use an awl for poking holes. is there another way?

i REALLY don't want to use an awl for poking holes. is there another way?

seems like the 2 needle and an awl in the hand at the same time is a bit too much for me

Regular PVA white glue for leather will work fine. Try Fiebing's. You might need to rough up any finished surface first.

If you're using a stitching chisel you can punch all the way through but a stitching groove might help too.

If you don't want your work to look like crap don't use a dremel tool to drill holes for stitching. The holes are too big and are neither angled nor diamond shaped. Most pros who do great work use two needles and an awl.

First, the leather is pretty thick. You are also asking it to make a pretty severe bend. Did you try casing it and using a bone folder to help form the curve? You mention a thonging chisel. Those are for lacing, not stitching. You obviously can use them to create stitching holes, but it is not proper. Get a stitching iron. Lots of them discussed on the forum and Nigel Armitage has extensive reviews on his website and on Youtube.

Weldwood contact cement is what I use a lot, red can. You can buy it at Lowes if convenient. Put on both sides, let dry and then put together. Should hold well.

If you use a drill, still mark your holes with a straight line and tool such as a stitching wheel.

Finally, awl work is a skill you should develop. With practice, it becomes automatic, you don't even think about exchanging the needle and awl. I thought it was ridiculous at first, but stuck with it and now it is easy, almost robotic. If you pursue it, make sure you have a good, sharp awl. I prefer one with a short blade, 3/4" to 1" max, but YMMV.

Good luck.

BTW, this would have been a decent choice for your project...post-60051-0-05625900-1454885531_thumb.p

Tardis86 wrote:

"i feel like im missing something here, i put alot of time in this stuff and it looks like crap.

any helpful ideas are appreciated."

And:

"i REALLY don't want to use an awl for poking holes. is there another way?"

A carpenter could use a rock to drive nails, . . . and a truck delivery driver could use a Mini-Cooper, . . . but neither one was designed for the task at hand. You asked for good suggestions, . . . suggestions that would help you make your work look good, . . . that is exactly what we gave you.

If you use a drill or even a drill press, . . . you will NEVER be as accurate making holes as you will be with an awl and a stitch marking tool.

Making the hole, . . . determines what the overall stitch looks like, . . . and the example you gave us in post # 1 shows you did not take the time to make the holes so that the stitches would line up correctly.

Two needles and an awl are the leatherworker's equivalent to the carpenter's hammer, or the delivery drivers Peterbuilt truck. Beat yourself up if you want to, . . . but until you are willing to follow the suggestions of people who are and have been in the industry, . . . you are just not going to create an esthetically pleasing product.

May God bless,

Dwight

No, yours is flat. You want a diamond shaped chisel.

Looks like you did a nice wet mold...

Edited by thefanninator

Tardis86 wrote:

"i feel like im missing something here, i put alot of time in this stuff and it looks like crap.

any helpful ideas are appreciated."

And:

"i REALLY don't want to use an awl for poking holes. is there another way?"

A carpenter could use a rock to drive nails, . . . and a truck delivery driver could use a Mini-Cooper, . . . but neither one was designed for the task at hand. You asked for good suggestions, . . . suggestions that would help you make your work look good, . . . that is exactly what we gave you.

If you use a drill or even a drill press, . . . you will NEVER be as accurate making holes as you will be with an awl and a stitch marking tool.

Making the hole, . . . determines what the overall stitch looks like, . . . and the example you gave us in post # 1 shows you did not take the time to make the holes so that the stitches would line up correctly.

Two needles and an awl are the leatherworker's equivalent to the carpenter's hammer, or the delivery drivers Peterbuilt truck. Beat yourself up if you want to, . . . but until you are willing to follow the suggestions of people who are and have been in the industry, . . . you are just not going to create an esthetically pleasing product.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yea i guess i just have some anxiety about using the awl, especially with thick leather. I have to suck it up and try it.

Double post... Stupid phone

Edited by tardis86

If you are nervous about using an awl by hand, get an awl blade, put it in your drill press but do not turn it on. Use a stitching wheel to mark your hole locations. Put a piece of cork board on the drill press bed, put your leather down, then use the drill to punch (not drill) your holes. Just make sure you put a slight angle to the holes to make them look right.

Also, make sure you use a good quality glue and let it dry first.

Is the above proper use? No but at least you end up with the right shape holes and they will go straight through

On my website i have a bunch of photos of a case i did that was very similar to what you are trying to accomplish. No descriptions, but look at the pictures in the slideshow. It is a case for a bicycle lock that laces onto the bike frame. (the photos are actually of 3 cases that are almost identical)

I used a stitch marking wheel, and then punched all the holes with an awl first, Then i stitched it. I used heavy duty contact cement.

There is a photo there of the stitching in progress,

http://tinkeroutfitters.weebly.com/how-we-do-things.html

Great job with the forming. getting the hang of the stitching is not that hard, you just have to practice a bit. Btw, some people have used a dinner fork to mark the stitch positions, and then poked the holes with an awl.

On thinner leathers i have used an old treadle sewing machine to punch my holes for me. I have one at home that will just do 7spi. The machine does not even need to be able to make a stitch, you are going to run it without thread as an automatic hole punch.

They use to sell what was known as a pegging awl. Don't sell them anymore. I used to do a lot of baseball stitching on round things . The awl I use now is needle in a sewing handle.long tapered and very sharp. Little bees wax on the tip ,less chance of sticking.to the leather.

Yes, the Finesse tools from Springfield will do just fine. I would get a 2 prong for curves and a 4 or 6 for straight runs. The pegging awl mentioned above is still available from C.S. Osborne if you choose to go that route.

Good luck, keep at it as that is the way to improve.

I ended up buyibg the proline on amazon for $14 shipped. I figure for the price its worth a shot

the last 2 projects i have done havent turned out so well.

for starters, when i tried using my chisel to punch the holes, the glue didn't hold and made it all crooked as seen top left.

i then tried using a dremel to drill the holes with not much more luck.

i use rubber cement to glue stuff together, should i get something better?

should i maybe punch the holes in the front piece first to make it easier to go through the back piece?

is the leather too thick?

i feel like im missing something here, i put alot of time in this stuff and it looks like crap.

any helpful ideas are appreciated.

This should help you out Tardis, if your not sorted already.

https://youtu.be/4d95CoY6sZQ

And an idea of the stitching using the saddle stitch.

https://youtu.be/TGuiha5S2oE

Hope it helps a little

Nige