Ole South

Table Edging

Does anyone have a source for the T-banding that edges our store-bought tables? You know... the plastic/pvc/rubber strip that protects us from snagging our high-dollar double knit custom designer slacks that we all wear whilst realizing our creative endeavors at the sewing machine?

Someone posted this website address in a thread I was reading during the last week ,when "catching up" on threads in 2015..

Think this is what you mean ..

https://www.t-molding.com/

HTH :) Mike

Thanks Mikesc,,, they have 1" 1/2 and 2"... our table tops are 1" 9/16 or 1" 5/8 :(. Some company was selling exact lengths just for industrial sewing tables but we can't find them now.

Thanks Mikesc,,, they have 1" 1/2 and 2"... our table tops are 1" 9/16 or 1" 5/8 :(. Some company was selling exact lengths just for industrial sewing tables but we can't find them now.

Get the next size bigger, install it and then use a dremel or a router flush cut bit to clean it up, the same way you would do laminate.

Edit: Here ya go:

http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/lg_display.cfm/page/31/catalog/Master_Catalog_Vol_42

http://charterindustries.com/products/t-molding/

Edited by TinkerTailor

Thanks Tink your search kung fu is good!! Outwater seems to have the ones... 3 colors. This works for one type of table top 1 5/8 " with a 5/8" offset slot ... some tops have 2 slots 1/2" down and 1/2" up.

Considered buying and routing as you suggested... works for me but my buddy has machines strung out across the state that can't have the noise and dust a trim router/dremel creates and the offset slot is an issue for the T-molding products as the slot keeper is centered. A brand new plywood top costs him around $100... after buying and hand fitting re-banding old comes close to that. The benefit of re-banding is that he can do an in-place repair/upgrade w/o tearing down and remounting everything. Also... some of these are in high end couture shops... can't snag a $2000 dress.

I searched for 40mm banding figuring there was something in metric land close which led me to those two links.

Try contacting Bill's Sewing in Hildebrand. NC. Great place to deal with. They manufacture table tops for sewing machines as well. Telephone number is

1-800-4455657. Ask for Jones Decker.

glenn

Rockler sells it

@Colt: Rockler only carries up to 3/4" wide with centered ribbing... our tables are 1 9/16"-1 5/8" thick AND the ribbing is not centered; it's a 5/8" drop from the table top.

@Shoepatcher: got a call into Jones... waiting for a reply

So far the closest match is Outwater Tinker's link above but looks like that's a minumum 250' order @ $.44/ft. Comes in three colors, Black, Brown & White.

Thanks everyone!

You can find the T-molding at drdanessmh.com/klegstands in 12 ft roles.

Install the new T-molding and then use a new razor blade to cut off the extra T-molding on the top and bottom of the table and you're done.

This is an older post, but an interesting topic.  I did find 1-5/8" wide T-molding at tmolding.com 

Colors available are white or black.

You have to re-rout a centered slot in the table, but that's easy to do if you have a router.  It requires a .080" slot cutter, which is available from Whiteside machine and Amazon etc.  The benefit is that the edging is only 85 cents per foot, with a 5 foot minimum order.  

It might not help you if you only plan on restoring one table, but if you do a couple of projects it quickly pays for itself.  I find a need for t-molding wrapped craft tables and shop fixtures, so for me it was easy to justify a specialty router bit ($10 for the arbor, and $20 for the .080" slot cutter).  

If anybody needs to work (create dust) in a dust-free environment, get somebody to hold the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner right near the router, saw, drill, dremel etc. 

All power tools, except power drills, for the UK market have a vacuum cleaner attachment tube integral with the machine body. But I think its better to have an oppo holding the vac sucker tube near the work

On 2/26/2016 at 11:00 AM, Ole South said:

Does anyone have a source for the T-banding that edges our store-bought tables? You know... the plastic/pvc/rubber strip that protects us from snagging our high-dollar double knit custom designer slacks that we all wear whilst realizing our creative endeavors at the sewing machine?

this have:https://edgebandingmanufacturer.com/product-category/pvc-edge-banding/