nascenta

Walking Foot Dilemna: New Compact Or Used Full-Size

My wife has kicked me off of her Bernina. I sew bags and camping stuff out of canvas, cordura, nylon and leather. It's a hobby. I am looking at a techsew clone of the Juki lu-563. I wonder if I am being wise. This is the issue: I can also buy a brand new sailrite clone with zigzag and servo motor, branded as Reliable Barricuda here in Canada with a 3 year warranty for $650 cnd and free shipping. (The techsew is $700 and local) That's a pretty good value but, but, but... Any thoughts? What would you recommend, a new compact walking foot or used full-sized?

If you have the space a full sized industrial is usually the better option.

Keep in mind that you may want to fit a servo motor.

I've read the opinions of a few folk who own a Sailrite, and they are very happy with it.

I agree though, if you have the space, get a full sized industrial machine, and when you do, the first thing you should do is fit a servo motor.

A zig zag machine might be walking foot, but not compound walking-foot -- lacks needle-feed..

Depending on your application, a compound walking-foot can make a difference. I think that a compound walking-foot machine would be beneficial for your application -- sewing bags and camping stuff out of canvas, cordura, nylon and leather -- and that zig-zag is not necessary or even very useful. I have both and use the zig zag machine only for sail repair. Apologies if you already know the following.

A compound walking-foot machine has both drop-feed (bottom-feed) and needle-feed with an alternating presser-foot (walking-foot).

Drop-feed is accomplished by a set of serrated feed-dogs that grip the material between the feed-dog and the presser-foot. When the needle is lifted out of the fabric, the feed-dog raises out of slots in the base of the machine, and grips moves the material. At the end of the movement, the feed-dogs drop and relinquish the grip.

Needle-feed is accomplished by moving the material with the needle when the needle is in the material as the needle follows essentially an elliptical path. Needle-feed also mitigates the tendency of lower layers of material to feed faster than upper layers with drop-feed machines.

The following links might be helpful. The YouTube video also shows the control possible with a servo motor, and do click on "show more."

http://en.wikipedia....Feed_mechanisms

As for a Sailrite clone, you might want be interested in the following links:

https://sailrite.wordpress.com/2013/06/13/the-history-of-the-sailrite-ultrafeed-sewing-machines/

So I opted for a used cylinder arm machine. I've been told (in this forum) that if you build a table to go around the arm that you get the best of both worlds (flat table and cylinder arm in one machine). I bought it at auction for $500 cnd and have cleaned it, oiled it and it sews wonderfully. Check it out.

I felt that the compact walking foot clones were not as good as sailrite's and that full size walking foot machines represented better value given my budget. I got this Machine for 1/3 the cost of a new sailrite (after 5 months of research and shopping). Thank you, posters, for your input.

post-70596-0-11305600-1458704722_thumb.j

Edited by nascenta

Good looking machine, looks a lot like a 227.

Looks to be in very good condition. Good deal at that price, I reckon. Got any specs on it - thread size, needle size etc? (Just curious).

:specool: Both arms up here, you Score!

Wow that looks new, and I'm not using zoom. cool

shows 23 needle, on my chart transfers to 3 cord or 207, wow there must be some room there.

I'm interested in the wrenching part so welcome all photos.

Top it off with the auction $

good day

Floyd