Jarednem

Best/quality V-Gouge/ V-Groover?

Who make the best V-gouge/ V-Groover and where would I get it?

Ron's Tools stitch groovers are excellent. For a wider groove, use a french edger after the stitch groover. Ron's Tools are expensive, but there are none better.

Art

I have a brand new adjustable Osborne V groover. I ordered it and found out what I really needed was a U not a V. Would you be interested?

On 3/22/2016 at 5:55 PM, Old Coach Saddlery said:

I have a brand new adjustable Osborne V groover. I ordered it and found out what I really needed was a U not a V. Would you be interested?

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need U instead of V?

I use an old Rampart I bought close to 40 years ago.  I use it some on every saddle I build and use it some other places too.  Kinda like anything, in leather tools,  if you learn to sharpen it kinda right and keep it sharp and polished it works very well.  I have a new Osborne that works good but the old one is lasting a long time.

Edited by Ken Nelson

On 3/22/2016 at 3:05 PM, electrathon said:

Have to second Ron's Tools.

Absolutely

Best edgers I have ever used.

On 5/15/2021 at 2:00 PM, Ken Nelson said:

I use an old Rampart I bought close to 40 years ago.  I use it some on every saddle I build and use it some other places too.  Kinda like anything, in leather tools,  if you learn to sharpen it kinda right and keep it sharp and polished it works very well.  I have a new Osborne that works good but the old one is lasting a long time.

I have a old Rampart U gouge brought it from Tandy about 25 years ago,  thinking it would be a handy tool, have to say i have never used it in anger prefer my Dixon copy American race, hopefully when times are better i going to be shedding a few of my older tools i no longer use, it will be among them i will list them here before they go onto to Ebay. By the way tried to look Rampart tools up have they sadly gone. Hope i have not broke any rules here by saying i will be listing some tools for sale in the near future instead of the market place.

JCUK     

I use this one. Danny made it for me left handed. I'm a southpaw. But I don't think he makes them anymore. Rob

Groover.eml

Edited by RobP