Saddletramp307

Which machine brand/model: Artisan vs Cobra

Newbie on the block!  What an incredible platform for knowledge sharing- so glad I stumbled across it.  So, grew up in a leather crafting household- my dad owned a tack company and made everything from chaps to breast collars and headstalls to belts, holsters, etc.  He swears by Artisan machines- I was making purses (light to medium weight materials- lamb/pig skin to kangaroo and cowhides combined with fabric liners) a few years ago on a machine that was old (can't recall the brand) and worked alright given that it was free to use. Looking to get back into it and am currently looking at Artisan 335 B (would love a 335 BT because "portable" is very appealing - but not sure if that's just a better idea 'in theory'), and a Cobra Class 18.  Both have walking foot cylinder beds, servo motors and compound needle feeds.   I'm most likely never going to be sewing anything heavier than a tooled belt and I have a lighter machine for strictly textiles- so I like the range these machines seem to offer.  Any advice on factors that give one product line an edge over the other- or just things to consider in general to be an educated consumer- is much appreciated!  

Hi,

Also a newbie.... literally a newbie on leather sewing machines. I can't comment on the Cobra 18 (although I was also considering it at one point) I bought the 335 BT due to the fact that I don't have a lot of space for the U table or the pedestal and Artisan is only 20 minutes away from my place. I have a Cowboy CB4500 for my really thick stuff but for thinner materials (kip lining, pig skin, wallets) the 335 is a nice machine. The BT is a bit cheaper and I just set it up on my worktable and clamp it down. I believe the parts are interchangeable with the old Pfaff 335 that it's based on. Good luck on the search. 

FYI, if you do call Artisan and speak with Jerry...don't mention this forum, he'll go on a tirade about this and that LOL!!!

Edited by ruffwerkz

First off, the Cobra Class 18 is a flat bed, at least the two that I have are.  The Artisan is the better machine for bags, and works well for flat if you make a insert for it.  Maybe Jerry can get you one.  The BT version is interesting, but it ain't gonna be light, then again, it will work well from a desktop.

Art

Yes the BT is not light, about 86 lbs. But one can actually pick it up and move it on a short distance ( I did from my car to my garage) From what I heard from Artisan, it's mainly bought by people that do repairs on site. Artisan can actually BT pretty much all the cylinder arm machines, and I've seen the TORO 3200 portable setup up close, tried lifting it up and sure as hell heavy and would need another set of hands. 

I just purchased the 335B and love it. table attachment for extra cost but turns it into a mock flat bed if needed, also latest version servo eliminates the need for a speed reducer

Haven't tried 207 thread yet but they say it can go up to that. 

Just now, steveleather said:

I just purchased the 335B and love it. table attachment for extra cost but turns it into a mock flat bed if needed, also latest version servo eliminates the need for a speed reducer

It handles 207 top pretty well and the bobbin can only go up to 138

2 hours ago, Art said:

First off, the Cobra Class 18 is a flat bed, at least the two that I have are.  The Artisan is the better machine for bags, and works well for flat if you make a insert for it.  Maybe Jerry can get you one.  The BT version is interesting, but it ain't gonna be light, then again, it will work well from a desktop.

Art

Art, thank you- and you are absolutely correct.  Cobra Class 18 is a flatbed.  I got my specs confused bouncing between the class 18 and the class 4.  Makes the decision easier now, as I think a cylinder arm is a must for me at this time.  I appreciate your input- thank ya much, sir!

2 hours ago, steveleather said:

Excellent- thank you for your feedback, very helpful!  I think I'll be springing for the additional table attachment.  

4 hours ago, ruffwerkz said:

Hi,

Also a newbie.... literally a newbie on leather sewing machines. I can't comment on the Cobra 18 (although I was also considering it at one point) I bought the 335 BT due to the fact that I don't have a lot of space for the U table or the pedestal and Artisan is only 20 minutes away from my place. I have a Cowboy CB4500 for my really thick stuff but for thinner materials (kip lining, pig skin, wallets) the 335 is a nice machine. The BT is a bit cheaper and I just set it up on my worktable and clamp it down. I believe the parts are interchangeable with the old Pfaff 335 that it's based on. Good luck on the search. 

FYI, if you do call Artisan and speak with Jerry...don't mention this forum, he'll go on a tirade about this and that LOL!!!

Hey, thanks so much for the info!  I plan on giving artisan a call tomorrow, get the ball rolling.  Mum's the word on this convo with ole Jerry ;). 

Steveleather,

Can we get a pic or two of the slide on table for the 335B from Artisan?  Not shown on their website or if it is, I could not find it.  Thanks

glenn

Hi Glenn 

I haven't even used  The extra table yet but here are a few sloppy pics of me holding it in place how it will fit

Actually I'm not sure how to show my pics I can email them to you

Edited by steveleather