2 minutes ago, JMWendt said:

Sure, you guys . . . like I said, you got the information from YouTube, but then you did it . . . practice.  The information is there, and it's great.  You used to have to go find people to get it.  Now you cna just watch.  But you still have to follow through and do it a few times to really lock it in and make it knowledge.

That's certainly true. I also know some folks who just sit around watching YouTube on their tv. That seems pretty pointless to me. 

I use it as a tool in my toolbox.

As a guy who produces videos for leatherworkers, I can see both sides of the story.  And, as Ive learned, my product has gotten better.  I only hire those who know what they're doing AND know how to teach.  I have watched everything there is on the web, and there IS a need and desire for video classes.  This is excellent discourse and it helps people like me keep focused.  I edit out all unnecessary drivel, and I try to keep my instructors on point during class.  Because so many of them are professionals, they know how to get to the point.

Someone above mentioned folks being afraid to try, and this is something I have observed as well.  Drives me nuts.  We answer the same questions time and time again, but thats what being stewards of leatherwork are for, right?  So, I'll keep answering, and I'll keep pointing folks to videos that can answer those questions, whether they're mine or someone else's.

There are three major types of learning.  Visual, auditory and hands on or doing.  Everyone has some combination of the three, so trying to present material that is easy to digest can be problematic, and as Colt mentioned, the editing of the videos takes far longer than the recording itself.  Anyway, this topic is near and dear to me.  Hope we all keep moving forward though :P

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:38 AM, JLSleather said:

I can't grasp what I would learn from watching someone saddle stitch for an hour.  Okay, make a stitch line (or a gouge).  Fair enough. Now, stab with the awl on the line so it comes out the line on the back side. All good.  Now, left thread through, now right thread through, pull up.  All great. Now, do it again.

Now, do it again.

Now, do it again.

Now, do it again.

Now, do it again.

Now, do it again.

Now, do it again.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I teach a lot of classes, it would amaze you how many times I have spent two hours trying to get the person to understand what is written above.  They will use the same hole twice.  Will move left thread forwards one hole, right thread forward two.  Tie knots in the thread.  Pull both threads in from the same side.  Loop both threads over the outside edge, etc.

Do I wish some makers of YouTube videos could find and use editing software? Yes.  Do I wish YouTube video makers would use cameramen?  Oh yeah, it is just so much fun when the most important operation in the video is demonstrated totally out of frame.  Then the idiot tells you that he has demonstrated the most important concept in the whole video or even the most important thing in the whole discipline, and tells you to go back and review it.  But worst of all is when the YouTube video producer honestly doesn't have a clue how to professionally do what he is trying to teach.  If you haven't done a few hundred or a few thousand of them, don't try to teach one.

There are however several good qualities.  One is that a high percentage of YouTube videos are really better in effect, and better for you physically than Ambien.  My Doctor put me onto this.  The longer the video the better.

More power to those who provide us with these gems.

Art

Yeah, I'm still at the point of 'if it aint for you, don't watch it'.  

In all the videos I've seen, I actually recommend ONE of them.  And I recommend it because of one simple fact:  at the end of the video, you could actually DO what you were supposed to learn from the video.  Doesn't mean everyone will do it, but they COULD.  If what you were told you would learn isn't there, then it's just useless noise.

If the next guy wants to watch a bunch of videos, that's -- as they say -- no skin off my nose :dunno:  But, I might be able to show 'em how-to WITHOUT that poo ;)

Youtube has been a very useful learning tool for me.    Even some longwinded vids have proved their use for that little gem of info.

On the downside, is the 'witterers', who take 15 minutes to tell me their thoughts on life, and three minutes showing me 'how to'.    Sometimes even that's ok, as long as they can string a sentence together that has a meaning/purpose.

The coughing/wheazing/choked sinus/ummm/eerrr group who don't realise the microphone pick up everything, "gonnie no dae that" (she said, with meaning).   Everything (especially bodily produced noises) in moderation please.

And now the biggie.   I can turn down the volume.   I can fast forward.    What I cannot do, is make an out of focus, off subject vid watchable.   Nothing worse than someone showing me how to do something, while the camera is pointing up their left nostril, or it's bouncing about so much. I feel motion sickness coming on.

(rant over, I'll go and have a lie down now).

On 6/3/2016 at 10:26 PM, JMWendt said:

I used to be surprised at the hesitation people have to just try something.  These days, a lot of people spend more time watching how to do something on YouTube than they do trying to do things and learn.  Hands on has become hands off.  Giving up has also become normal.  So it doesn't surprise me now to see a how to video on the most basic things.  People prefer to watch, not do.  And there's always a monkey with a camera trying to build a brand. 

One thing I do like is when I need to go to sleep, Ill put on a really long drawn out video of how to do something simple and I fall asleep really easily. (no seriously, I actually do this)

Maybe a little clearer without the sketches?  Still a very simple project... Due to the addition of photos, I'm increasing the cost 30% (bringing the total to $0).  Anyone not comfortable with the absence of video is free to not download if preferred ;)

card_hor03.pdf

20 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Maybe a little clearer without the sketches?  Still a very simple project... Due to the addition of photos, I'm increasing the cost 30% (bringing the total to $0).  Anyone not comfortable with the absence of video is free to not download if preferred ;)

card_hor03.pdf

I'm not saying it's not good value for money, but I'd pay 10x that for a video. :lol:

We talkin' U.S. currency?  Sweeeeet ....

I have a Youtube account hosting a couple of videos I made.  Nothing instructive unless you ... , well nothing instructive.

Mostly it was an experiment with some small lights and a recumbent tricycle.  Where I live the summer daytime is hot so I often ride pre-dawn.  In the dark.  Back then with a GoPro on my helmet.  What you see on the video is nothing like what you actually see while riding along.  Maybe the newer cameras are better in low light.  Mostly the camera sees the small circle of light on the ground in front of the trike-sometimes the toes of my feet as the peddle along.

That's my story...

Some internet is great some is not.  I'm trying hard to find a reason to care so I ramble along without much purpose.

Be kind, stay safe, keep it real!

Ok but now Jeff when you add the video and you get to the sewing part I think you need to start off in the calmest Psychologist, talk em off the edge voice ...

"Now insert the needle in the hole followed by the second needle"

Then quickly transition into the sickest DI you have ever seen

"DO IT AGAIN"

"AGAIN"

"AGAIN"

"DO IT!"

"DO IT NOW!"

"I WANT TO SEE YOUR FINGERS BLEED"

I would watch  :)

But I have an odd sense of humor.

Yea,  Cuz how kinya have any pudding when ya dont eat yer meat?@#!#!

Oh man! PERFECT!Pink-Floyd-The-Wall-images-72eebf4c-0563TheWall_064Pyxurz.jpgWhat have we here Laddie

A secret Pouch

a bit O leather work

NO! A wallet no less, A wallet everyone

The Laddie rekons himself a leather crafter

I would soooo watch!!  :)

Edited by Boriqua

Yep.  But throw in a "HOLD STILL LADDIE!" and suddenly you have copyright issues in yer face!

Brings up a good point though.. IF these people making all the MULTITUDE of videos really are "experts", then HOW did they GET TO BE experts BEFORE the video? ;)  And IF they learned watching a video, then what exactly was the purpose of making ANOTHER video regarding the same thing? AND... ah.. nevermind ....

On 6/8/2016 at 9:24 AM, Thefirst said:

One thing I do like is when I need to go to sleep, Ill put on a really long drawn out video of how to do something simple and I fall asleep really easily. (no seriously, I actually do this)

You really need to get George Hurst doing an airbrushing video.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Art

I just went through OP's site and downloaded all of the pattern templates (except holsters). I'm new and they are perfect for much needed practice. Any other sites you guys know about that provide simple to follow instructions like JLSleather?

I watch tutorial videos from time to time and attend regular classes with old leatherworker. Obviously I learned much more from having teacher and working with him in person, than from watching videos.

But still Im very grateful for having these youtube videos available. Its always good to see how people do things, what tricks, equipment they use..

For example in one of the last Nigel Armitage videos, he mentions using simple pencil instead of awl or spatula to apply edge paint. I tried it and it really works for me too. So, leather youtubers, keep it up, I can only appreciate it.

So that pencil I've had for like 30 years is "tricks and equipment"? ;)

Again, there may be A video worth seeing.  Actually, I did find a second one with profitable information.  Stuff I already knew, but

• I could see where someone who didn't know that could benefit.  
  • it was chronological, steps in the order you would do them
  • without a bunch of irrelevant talk ("hey, everybody look -I'm over here :wavey: ) and such.  
  • showed the tools used - without being an advertisement. 
  • when it was done, the watcher could ACTUALLY DO THAT himself (herself) 

This is no commentary on that video, since I haven't seen it.  But if there's a video telling me I can use that pencil that has been around since great grand dad, I hope it didn't take an hour to tell me that.  I'm quite aware that there are MANY places that will sell you another tool when you could have used your pencil, so if there's a guy pointing out.. 'hey- you can use yer pencil' then this is good.

I found one other day, while making dinner.  Guy gonna show how to make a holster pattern.  Naturally, if there's a better way, then show me.  Guy broke it into two parts for whatever reason, and part two plays automatically after part 1.  Part 1 about 10 minutes long... basically he chicken-scratches some marker on a piece of paper.  Part 2 starts.... he points out that in part 1 that was wrong so I want to show you that .... :rofl:  Now, good for him if he can admit he was wrong.  MY point is,.. why not just delete the 'wrong' video?

And the next one... plays right behind those, I guess u-tube lumped 'subject matter"(?).  There's no discussion- no words at all.  Some music plays in the background while a pair of pudgy hands make marks on a sheet of paper, which I guess is supposed to be a paper pattern for a holster.

Nah... I like to see people actually DOING leather work - not watching tv about it.  Guess I'll stick to the pdf files and still pics ;)  Can't say I don't keep a finger on the line, just in case something changes about them videos ...

Edited by JLSleather

13 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

So that pencil I've had for like 30 years is "tricks and equipment"? ;)

Again, there may be A video worth seeing.  Actually, I did find a second one with profitable information.  Stuff I already knew, but

• I could see where someone who didn't know that could benefit.  
  • it was chronological, steps in the order you would do them
  • without a bunch of irrelevant talk ("hey, everybody look -I'm over here :wavey: ) and such.  
  • showed the tools used - without being an advertisement. 
  • when it was done, the watcher could ACTUALLY DO THAT himself (herself) 

This is no commentary on that video, since I haven't seen it.  But if there's a video telling me I can use that pencil that has been around since great grand dad, I hope it didn't take an hour to tell me that.  I'm quite aware that there are MANY places that will sell you another tool when you could have used your pencil, so if there's a guy pointing out.. 'hey- you can use yer pencil' then this is good.

I found one other day, while making dinner.  Guy gonna show how to make a holster pattern.  Naturally, if there's a better way, then show me.  Guy broke it into two parts for whatever reason, and part two plays automatically after part 1.  Part 1 about 10 minutes long... basically he chicken-scratches some marker on a piece of paper.  Part 2 starts.... he points out that in part 1 that was wrong so I want to show you that .... :rofl:  Now, good for him if he can admit he was wrong.  MY point is,.. why not just delete the 'wrong' video?

And the next one... plays right behind those, I guess u-tube lumped 'subject matter"(?).  There's no discussion- no words at all.  Some music plays in the background while a pair of pudgy hands make marks on a sheet of paper, which I guess is supposed to be a paper pattern for a holster.

Nah... I like to see people actually DOING leather work - not watching tv about it.  Guess I'll stick to the pdf files and still pics ;)  Can't say I don't keep a finger on the line, just in case something changes about them videos ...

I see now your point, I havent seen this kind of videos you describe, I was lucky I guess.. 

By way of reminder, this thread started at poking fun at what was clearly ridiculous.  I'm never surprised at how some people respond when you wiggle their comfort zone just a bit... suggest they 'go beyond' what they now do....

I've seen a couple of George H tandy videos (when recommended by someone).  Maybe that's George's pace.  Or maybe a team of lawyers told him that's his pace.  Whatever.  I can't do that.  But if I met George, I got no issue offerin' the guy a beer or a coffee -- maybe a fishin' rod if he likes that type of thing.

I don't watch much tv anyway.  Didn't even have one for a couple years .... I never watched it, so I gave it to a couple young kids who were getting married and basically had nothing.  Now, I LIKE to have nothing, but some people get a complex about it (governed by someone else's opinions).  Gimme a smart dog, a fishin' pole, and a truck what runs good -- and I'm happy ;)

But then I got married, and SHE thinks everybody needs "stuff".  SO, I have tvs... I think about 5 or 6 of em (don't know why... not my call).  BUT there IS one show I rather like, for people who like videos 'n' such...

Renovation Realities is on the DIY channel.  HILARIOUS.  Basically, some sponsors pay for all the materials and homeowners remodel some part of their home.  I've seen people get beams dropped on or near them.. skid loaders tipped ... one bright fella nearly electrocuted himself MORE than once.  Now, it's funny, because you don't actually believe that the cameramen are actually going to stand there and watch these people kill themselves. Again, I don't watch much tv, so don't ask me what day or time it's on... I just see it when it's there.

I am, however, not "ANTI-video".. I just like it to SAY something beyond... hey-I-can-make-a-video-take-all-day-and-say-nothing-new ;)

This one, about a year old, was done to make a few simple points, PLUS amuse my friend Robert ( mecopocketholsters.com ).  In under 10 minutes, you can learn that :

• You can sew 2 layers of 8/9 leather
  • You could use 277 / 207 thread with #24 needle combo
  • You may opt to stitch after gluing and trimming the parts
  • You can stitch natural leather and natural thread, and dye together later
  • You may also carve and/or color before stitching
  • Jeff doesn’t like more holes in the leather than necessary
  • Not critical where you start, when stitching full circle
  • You can stitch a small pancake holster in about 9 minutes with an operator who talks too much (prolly half that without the gabbin')

And this much is learned in a few minutes from an unplanned video in a corner somewhere....

Edited by JLSleather

14 hours ago, niniquesvk said:

I watch tutorial videos from time to time and attend regular classes with old leatherworker. Obviously I learned much more from having teacher and working with him in person, than from watching videos.

But still Im very grateful for having these youtube videos available. Its always good to see how people do things, what tricks, equipment they use..

For example in one of the last Nigel Armitage videos, he mentions using simple pencil instead of awl or spatula to apply edge paint. I tried it and it really works for me too. So, leather youtubers, keep it up, I can only appreciate it.

I do the same thing. It's how I got started. I have seen plenty of needlessly long videos but the bulk of what I know came from Ian Atkinson. He is also chatty but what he says carries substance. His videos are also shot and edited in such a way that makes it a pleasure to watch and easy to learn from. I play it at 1.5x speed though.

Okay, I tried. Really I did. Just can't sit through all that.  No matter, it's working for somebody ;)

Now THAT IS funny.  Little Dude next door just showed up, wants to know if I'll turn on the Wi-Fi.  When I asked 'what for' he says 'just like google n watch stuff' :rofl:

At age 5, he's already learned that y-tube (not a typo) is what you do when you don't really feel like doing anything.  Pool and trampoline not interesting at the moment, I guess?