plinkercases

Alternatives to poundo board/matt for punching

Other than the end of a log as has been discussed elsewhere what do folks us under there work when punching/dye cutting?

My old Tandy poundo boards/matts are at the end of the duty cycle and I think there must be a better alternative to replace them with.

A forum search came up with things like:

• redsheet,
  • Cow/horse stall matt
  • Industrial belt rubber section

Any thoughts or experience is appreciated thanks.

HDPE plastic sheets.. Between a 1/ 4th to an inch thick works great. 

Thanks I will check around.

Do you cut on it as well or just for the punching and under the tooling slab?

I have some HD mine belt (coal conveyor belting) and it dulls tools quickly. A tree stump makes a great punching surface because you can easily remove the tool because the end grain. Once it gets worn, you can cut the top slice off and start fresh.

These are great and can be sanded when they get rough.

image.png

I just tried to stall matt and it is has too much bounce for punch work...

I use a rubber mat about a half inch thick on top of a 2" thick maple cutting board.  The punch can go into the rubber and remain sharp and undamaged.  The rubber mat is similar to what you'd find on a gym weight room floor or a horse trailer.  Works very well.  Have used it for 20 years plus now.

sound like a stall matt. I think I will try again and place it on my granite block....

I agree with Colt that a tree log on end basically acts like a good solid one piece cutting board. The end grain of the wood will not fight the tool (like a board on its side does), its very solid for a cutting surface, and renewable by cutting a thin layer off the top. 

Colt and MadMax, S stump may be ok fro stationary work but I used the poundo in different sizes and shapes along with shoe lasts and steel pieces to punch on awkward places/paces and also I don't have floor space for stump or even a slab of tree to lift onto bench.... maybe a slab... I could look into that for when I need more area...

Red cent... I have an arbour press but those look excellent...

Three considerations for efficient punch and cut board:  'self healing', non-dulling of tool edge and resistance to force.  

A stump is great per above comments but 1/2" thick, custom sized HDPE poly (30" X 60", or larger) board over a hardwood table top is better for cutting large patterns.

There are several wholesale suppliers of large custom HDPE boards in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" and in several colors.  I like red and black.

Edited by krusatyr

This is practically the same as a stump, but I use a 6"x18"x42"-ish piece of glue-lam beam standing on end. No problems with sap, cracking or knots. I use it standing, where I can get nice and close to the work. I use HDPE where that doesn't work.

I have an end grain bamboo cutting board, which works well. the end grain acts like the stump/slab,. I use the side with the channel for punching and use the flat side for cutting. The one I have came with rubber feet on one side, but I pulled those off.

It's similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Antibacterial-Top-Notch-Kitchenware/dp/B011EQF4ZY/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1504011992&sr=8-15&keywords=bamboo+cutting+board+end+grain

If you go HDPE, get a thick one, at least 1". Once both sides are worn enough to cause problems you can run it through a planer and make it smooth again.

I did that with the kitchen cutting boards when I had my wood shop. Worked out great.

I have 5 tables made of UHMW bathroom stall dividers color is irrelevant durability and ability to clean with solvent is not of concern,  tool sharpness and nondulling qualities of UHMW are fantastic have had no issues...

Edited by Sanch

Walmart white plastic cutting board, 12 dollars give or take.

i use them every day and they hold up for years, no tool dulling that i can see.

great to use with round knife, andipound on them all day. If you know someone with a planer, 1 pass and like new again.

For pricking irons could I use any hard surface with just thick leather on top enough for the irons not to go all the way through?