Dwight

Tell me about your "Hot Box"

Gonna resurrect an old thread here...

I followed Michael's (msdeluca's) buildup on his blog, using the parts list, etc, and assembled my own drying cabinet. I had my cabinet-crafting uncle build the box (to my surprise, he threw it in gratis!)...I placed all the controls (l/r; thermostat, fan speed controls, 4hr timer) along the bottom with a removable panel underneath and a wiring chase along the RH side up to the fans and heat lamps...then had him stain it a complementary color to the rest of the shelving and trim in the house. A peg board back on the interior gives me options for item placement...still figuring out what length pegs to use (thus the reason for leaving the sales tags on the 8inch-ers in the pic)...whichever length I end up with, I might bend them down slightly (you can see the problem in the photo). I had a few wiring glitches (I'm no electrician!) but Micheal gave me some pointers and its all golden now...takes about 45-50min to come up to my 125deg preset and then runs great!. I might increase the length of the stand-off's under the fans...they're currently at 3/4"...may take them up to 1-1/2" and see if I can get a little better circulation.  All in all, a build I'm very proud of...part of a months-long retooling process for me. Thanks Michael (msdeluca) for your excellent write-up and for the individual assistance!

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2658.JPG

On 10/21/2017 at 3:03 PM, Double Daddy said:

Gonna resurrect an old thread here...

I followed Michael's (msdeluca's) buildup on his blog, using the parts list, etc, and assembled my own drying cabinet. I had my cabinet-crafting uncle build the box (to my surprise, he threw it in gratis!)...I placed all the controls (l/r; thermostat, fan speed controls, 4hr timer) along the bottom with a removable panel underneath and a wiring chase along the RH side up to the fans and heat lamps...then had him stain it a complementary color to the rest of the shelving and trim in the house. A peg board back on the interior gives me options for item placement...still figuring out what length pegs to use (thus the reason for leaving the sales tags on the 8inch-ers in the pic)...whichever length I end up with, I might bend them down slightly (you can see the problem in the photo). I had a few wiring glitches (I'm no electrician!) but Micheal gave me some pointers and its all golden now...takes about 45-50min to come up to my 125deg preset and then runs great!. I might increase the length of the stand-off's under the fans...they're currently at 3/4"...may take them up to 1-1/2" and see if I can get a little better circulation.  All in all, a build I'm very proud of...part of a months-long retooling process for me. Thanks Michael (msdeluca) for your excellent write-up and for the individual assistance!

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2658.JPG

Nice job DD...!!! I've been gone for awhile doing some CJ7 Resto... I'm thinking of getting back into some sewing and leather work... maybe make some purses, and camping gear.

Sorry if this was addressed earlier—there were beaucoup posts...

But can you even FIND Incandescent Bulbs, since the Hated State MANDATED those TRIFLING LED lights!?!

I mean, except as recent antiques at like yard sales?

I would have REALLY loaded up on Incandescent Bulbs—but as usual, I was too broke to make a significant move...

…..RVM45

3 hours ago, RVM45 said:

But can you even FIND Incandescent Bulbs, since the Hated State MANDATED those TRIFLING LED lights!?!

Sure you can... and they are cheap!

2 Pack - 150W Ceramic Heat Emitter

image.thumb.jpeg.ab49b529f9d4f3598a77a2d9f6aca4c0.jpeg

3 hours ago, msdeluca said:

Sure you can... and they are cheap!

2 Pack - 150W Ceramic Heat Emitter

image.thumb.jpeg.ab49b529f9d4f3598a77a2d9f6aca4c0.jpeg

That's taking it to the old climate change demon. replace a 150 watt light with a 150 watt element then add a few  extra leds so you can see. 

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

That's taking it to the old climate change demon. replace a 150 watt light with a 150 watt element then add a few  extra leds so you can see. 

When he starts flying economy I'll take him seriously...;]

Dwight,

Although my work took a sharp right turn some years ago, I had good success drying holsters in a Nuwave oven. Racking my brain to remember, but I think the lowest setting was around 105 deg. F.  That's what I used, or the next setting up.  

Edited by SooperJake
Spelling

You can buy a small, cheap room heating fan for less than $15 bucks on Amazon.  Stick it in a box with a couple of holes punched in and you've got a drying box.

GAIATOP Space Heater

i rarely dry more than a couple at a time. ive used a countertop toaster oven for many years. Actually the same one that i use to temper knives in. I use a metal plate beneath to even temps when tempering steel (350-400*) and a wood board to put leather in for drying at 125*. Learned the very first time not to put leather on the metal wire rack ha