Tent99

how to remove belt on Cowboy 4500

This place is definitely not "harsh" :) , programmer's fora ( even the "lightweight" ones like "el reg" ) on the other hand..

Edited by mikesc

On 9/6/2016 at 6:54 PM, JLSleather said:

On my piece of cobra, I can put the belt on or off without loosening something else.  Much like the old bridgeport mills l.. :)

Do NOT try this at home on yer sewing machine:

That's a great way to change a belt,I always would take the nut off & do it the slow way & then adjust with the washers!

Of course, you could count the number of times that that method has gone wrong, on the fingers of ...

what is the cowboy thread that you speak of here Jeff.  Is it some other type of new fangled, non tangle, never brake thread, that someone came out with and they put a cowboy hat on it.?  requiring minds would like to know.  Thanks  

Yeah, Bob got some thread made and put a cowboy brand on it (ALL those puns entirely intentional - in fact, that was jus funta say).

I like that, though... as opposed to most places today have someone else do it, and then say "we" make this ... or that.. Like apparently "everybody does it" is not only an excuse, but some type of honor.

So, I haven't tried it as yet.  Got me to check though, I didnt right off see anyone else with 346 thread in natura (though for all I know at this point, it could be the same thread someone else calls "wheat" or "sand" or beige....)..  

Here's the show... http://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread.html

No trouble, Bob -- no referral discount required.  You're welcome ;)

Edited by JLSleather

I've been using Cowboy brand bonded thread since Linhanyl stopped exporting to the USA. I think that was around 2011 or 2012. It has matching color codes across several sizes. That means I can order #69, 92, 138, 207 and 277 in a particular color code and they all match. Of course, white is white and black is black. But everything in between can be color matched.

You can order Cowboy thread from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. It is their brand.

Of course one has to wonder how a cowboy mounting a cobra would work out, just hope it wouldn't choke up and start spitting thread like chew without accuracy?

Just wonderun!

On 9/7/2016 at 11:38 PM, Uwe said:

So how did the belt get on the machine if you didn't install it and Bob shipped the machine with the hand wheel removed? 

My 17 year old son put it on.  BECAUSE he actually has some experience using leather sewing machines (not a CB 4500) for making chaps and repairing tack...AND because he is a lot stronger than I am and it was easier for him to do.  I was standing right there, but occupied with reading the manual trying to discern what we were going to mess up next that I could ask irritating questions about on leatherworker.net. B)

Edited by Tent99

On 10/09/2016 at 10:59 PM, Tent99 said:

My 17 year old son put it on.  BECAUSE he actually has some experience using leather sewing machines (not a CB 4500) for making chaps and repairing tack...AND because he is a lot stronger than I am and it was easier for him to do.  I was standing right there, but occupied with reading the manual trying to discern what we were going to mess up next that I could ask irritating questions about on leatherworker.net. B)

Ignore Uwe. He is a legend in his own lunchtime

I put mine on myself.  And when it turned out to be a lemon, I took it off and shipped it.  Then I put the replacement on myself.  Then I removed it, and then I put the THIRD one up myself.  

The worse these things get,the better shape I'm gonna be in. :rofl:

I put mine on myself.  And when it turned out to be a lemon, I took it off and shipped it.  Then I put the replacement on myself.  Then I removed it, and then I put the THIRD one up myself.  

The worse these things get,the better shape I'm gonna be in. :rofl:

Each time I read your post there, I think, the THIRD time .."Ouch !!!!" :o

Edited by mikesc

I just took mine off and on in about 5 seconds one handed while filming with the other. Considering my previous posts,I feel i must say that i did NOT do it with the power on....  Will post video tonight after work.

Its much easier with two hands. It is also hard to film in landscape with my left hand....whatever, deal with it.

No fair.  You had help from a storm trooper.

May the torque be with you. 

I found that storm trooper head on the street and glued a magnet into it. Never stayed on my fridge but he likes it on the wheel. Reminds him of the spinning of a death star. Here is my bobbin winder hole cover if you haven't seen it:

bobbin 002.jpg

So one little video is worth about forty written posts. 

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. (unless you wrote those thousand words I'd reckon):unsure:.

On 9/7/2016 at 6:09 AM, CowboyBob said:

Just take your hand & start pulling the belt off on the back & turn the handwheel towards you & it'll slide off,you can also roll it back on the way by starting it on as far as it will go & trun the wheel towards you.

Or, perhaps just read these 45 words.  Bob got a little 'conversational' more than technical, but the facts are all there.