TonyRV2

Cobra Class 3 machine

So I'm noodling around on youtube today and I came across a video done by Kevin and Rusty over at Springfield Leather that was about 45 minutes long and going over the Cobra Class 3 sewing machine.  It looked like an impressive machine and would suit my purposes as I make primarily knife sheaths.  I've also been thinking about branching off into guitar and instrument straps as well.  So a medium duty machine is in order unless I want to spend most my time hand sewing as I have been.  I'd like to hear from others that own this particular model.  What are the pros and cons of this machine.  Any buyers remorse?  It looks to be well built and reasonably priced but you can only tell so much from a video and there's really no where around where I live to actually put my hands on one.  So....what say you?  Thanks.

Oh....here's a link to the video if anyone is interested..... http://springfieldleather.com/Sewing-Machine-Cobra-Class-3

...Tony

I use my friend's Cobra 3 all the time for sheath making, and holsters. I like it and the best part is it will easily handle 3/4" thick stacks of leather. There are times I stack 5 layers of 9 oz with an exotic inlay piece. This machine handles it with no problems. Remember you can find a used one too. Sometimes Cobra has them.

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

For what you're making, have you compared this one?

http://www.tolindsewmach.com/cb3200.html

I did as a matter of fact look at that one, and even though its less expensive, I wasn't as impressed with the specs as compared to the Cobra 3.  I really don't mind paying the price as long as the quality is there...you know....pay once cry once.

1 hour ago, TacticallySharp said:

I use my friend's Cobra 3 all the time for sheath making, and holsters. I like it and the best part is it will easily handle 3/4" thick stacks of leather. There are times I stack 5 layers of 9 oz with an exotic inlay piece. This machine handles it with no problems. Remember you can find a used one too. Sometimes Cobra has them.

Yeah George, that was one of the things that I'd liked about this model as well....rated for 3/4" of leather, and is one of the reasons I asked the question.  You've answered it.  Thanks.

Perhaps I could just use your buddies too...I see your just down the road from Gainesville. :rolleyes:

Am I wrong or is the cobra the only one with a bobbin winder?

I haven't seen one on the cowboy or the techsew machines.

That will be a deciding factor one day when I can get one.

The Cowboy machines DO have bobbin winders.  

Ya have to admit them guys at SLC do put in their videos some great humor while getting use to your new Cobra machine.

Like was mentioned earlier a machine for products your focused on making and then there is always an option for other machines to do something specific. 

The potential for classifieds here on site is great to keep an eye on. good luck

Floyd

50 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

The Cowboy machines DO have bobbin winders.  

Is that the stuff on the front of the machine? 

On teh CB 4500, it's right on teh top right (same as the cobra thing).  On the 3200, and 3500, push the thumb button to wind bobbin ;)

cb3500.jpg

Thanks, I have been just researching out of curiosity and not seen it in the pictures on the sales sites. I hadn't seen them in the specs come to think of it. Or maybe I'm just nuts/confused.

The Cobra 4 has a built in bobbin winder. It works as you sew other stuff. Just to the right where it says "leather weather machine', there is a spindle on which you place the bobbin. Thread is pulled through the spring thingy to the right of the lamp. Works good. The C3 has an independent (kinda) winder but still works off the machine.

Cobra-4-P-Heavy-Duty-Industrial-Leather-Sewing-Machine-_57.jpg

leathermachineco-cobra-3-leather-sewing-machine.png

On 10/5/2016 at 3:31 PM, TonyRV2 said:

I did as a matter of fact look at that one, and even though its less expensive, I wasn't as impressed with the specs as compared to the Cobra 3.  I really don't mind paying the price as long as the quality is there...you know....pay once cry once.

They are both basically the same machine with different paint. I would phone both and see who you like to talk to on the phone better. Its also not a bad idea to choose the closest. Both will stand behind their machines and can provide all the things you need. Both have a really good reputation. Toledo will also tailor the package to what you need if there is an accessory included in the cobra package that you want. Do not pass over the cowboy machine just cause it is listed with less feet. Both Cowboy Bob and Cobra Steve are known to work with people and get them the machine they need.

Edited by TinkerTailor

Talk to Bruce Cheaney.  He has a Cowboy and a Cobra 4. They are the same machine as previously stated  

I purchased my Cobra 4 from SLC which is about 400 miles from me but they're my closest dealer. 

I actually talked to Kevin just a couple of days ago. When I switched from #96 thread to #346 thread the bobbin spring was acting up. I'd not had any trouble in the past, but the thread kept jumping out of the notch in the bobbin's tension spring, or sometimes the spring would split the thread. I shot a quick video for them and tossed it up on YouTube. Kevin didn't even go look at the video after I described the problem. He said he'd send me new new bobbin tension spring ASAP.  Rusty is the real Cobra expert at SLC but was out at the time I called.  There's another young fellow there that is also pretty knowledgeable, so you can always get help if you need it  

Since they're sending me that new part I decided to perform a little percussive maintenance on mine. I tapped on the spring to bend it slightly into a tighter curve.  I fits the bobbin case better now and works like a charm. 

I think most guys will tell you that you should expect to become a sewing machine mechanic if you buy one....any brand....they all require maintenance but generally its pretty simple. 

Here are links to the videos in case anyone is interested  

Before: 

After:

Rex

Edited by rejerome