VTleather09

Best bang for my hard earned buck

Hey guys, 

I looked at my e-mail from Tandy, as others mentioned on this forum, and saw the deals for their Oak-Leaf doubles.  With shipping, I'm looking at $107.00 for 6-7oz and 12-14 sqft.  Is this a good price and if not where can I find a better deal?  Also, is "Oak Leaf" comparable to Herman Oak? This will be my first big leather purchase as I usually buy small pieces off ebay.  I am at the disadvantage of not having access to any shops where I can look at a selection in person.  The closest place is about 300 miles away.  So far, I have had inconsistent success with good leather.  I even bought a split of Amazon at one point as it was advertised as tooling leather.  It was my fault for not knowing my terms, but it hurt none the less.  Anyway, I would truly love some input.  Thank you kindly. 

VT 

New to leather work. My experience with tandy leather has not been great. Not even close to HO. Look up JLSleather on this site. He is moving and getting rid of some of his stock. High quality HO and Wicket and Craig. Also he has a lot of belt blanks. tooled and plain. He was selling HO bends for the same price as Tandy "European Bends" notice the quote marks. From all accounts he has good stuff and quick to ship. Free. I ordered from him yesterday.

107/12 = 8.92/sq.ft.

107/14 = 7.64/sq.ft.

IMHO, you can get Hermann Oak (from some place like Springfield) or Wicket & Craig (direct, split to your weight) for about the same price.  Pay $30/yr. to Springfield and you can purchase HO Craftsman for 7.59/sq.ft. AND they'll sell you the amount you want if you don't want to buy a full side.  

I'd prefer either of these domestic tanneries over Tandy's imported leather any day.  There is night and day difference in workability and consistency.

Unless you are making projects that require a large unblemished piece of hide, buy the domestic in lower grades.  The leather is all processed the same, the only difference is in the defects.  You can work around defects and end up with very little waste.

That's what works for me anyhow....

Good luck

I buy "A" grade hides from HO and "standard" grade at Wickett & Craig - the best available at each place.  The price difference between "A" and "B" is pennies per foot, so the "top of the line" costs only $10 more per side (40¢ per foot x 25 feet).  I dont' see the point of less quality leather just to save $10

A big point is, teh HO leather dyes quite well.  I've seen some leather from Tandy that looked fine, and even tooled fairly well, UNTIL you tried to dye it - then the difference became obvious.

Edited by JLSleather

Yup, I don't disagree, if that fits your budget.  Just comparing as close to apples to apples on $/sq.ft. as possible, although there really is no comparison between Tandy's leather and domestic.

Some folks will walk buy a $10 bill layin' on the ground and some will stop and pick it up.  ;)

Even Tandy's h.o. is a crap shoot. I bought a side from them before I knew what I was looking for and it is pretty terrible wrinkles, bug bites and scars. 

If you are stuck to just ordering online, I think probably anybody can beat their quality and pricing.

2 hours ago, VTleather09 said:

Hey guys, 

I looked at my e-mail from Tandy, as others mentioned on this forum, and saw the deals for their Oak-Leaf doubles.  With shipping, I'm looking at $107.00 for 6-7oz and 12-14 sqft.  Is this a good price and if not where can I find a better deal?  Also, is "Oak Leaf" comparable to Herman Oak? This will be my first big leather purchase as I usually buy small pieces off ebay.  I am at the disadvantage of not having access to any shops where I can look at a selection in person.  The closest place is about 300 miles away.  So far, I have had inconsistent success with good leather.  I even bought a split of Amazon at one point as it was advertised as tooling leather.  It was my fault for not knowing my terms, but it hurt none the less.  Anyway, I would truly love some input.  Thank you kindly. 

VT 

How far away are you from the folks at Brettuns Village leather (website: http://www.brettunsvillage.com/) located in Maine?
Perhaps you might contact them and see if you can get the leather quality you want.
I haven't bought leather from them, so I can't vouch for their products or reliability.

2 hours ago, DJole said:

How far away are you from the folks at Brettuns Village leather (website: http://www.brettunsvillage.com/) located in Maine?
Perhaps you might contact them and see if you can get the leather quality you want.
I haven't bought leather from them, so I can't vouch for their products or reliability.

At least 4-5 hours one way.  Sometimes the seclusion of the mountains isn't so cool:)

Wow, I can't imagine anything in Maine being four hours away from somewhere else in Maine......

Learn something new everyday.

Find yourself a source for W & C or HO and you won't regret paying a bit more for it as it is the finest on this planet.  The Tandy leathers are also NOT tanned the same as what we know to be vegetable-tanned as they are tanned outside of the U.S. with a modified formula (that doesn't contain any real Oak tannins or other Oak related products) and include the use of animal urine to balance the pH of the water that is used (which isn't really high quality either when it comes to particles, etc.).  Not to mention, Tandy pretty much gets the lowest priced hides to start with so you know that from the start you are not going to get a quality piece of leather.  If you are serious about putting out a high quality product, you have to start with a high quality material; and then treat is with respect and dignity through your skills.

You can use that Tandy stuff for anything that will never see the light of day or be designed to be a "show off" piece.

In the end, and by way of an actual recommendation, Wickett & Craig is in PA. Great leather. It's going to be more money "up front" since you'll need to buy a whole side, but you'll be getting the real stuff, and saving money by not paying multiple shipping charges.  Their dyed skirting is quite nice, and their tooling leather forms and dyes well.

NOTE that the bellies are inexpensive, and since you mention "bang for the buck" I will add that belly leather is not suitable for projects which need to be firm.

Edited by JLSleather