Sheilajeanne

Using Eco-Flo Dye

Trying to finish a project tonight, using Eco-flo dye, and I can't seem to get even coverage, no matter how many coats I put on.

Any tips for using this dye? It's water based.

begin by abandoning the eco-foo-foo cr*p and use an alcohol based dye.

The Eco-Flo products are not very good in providing consistent coverage and also has an issue with excessive rub-off no matter what you do with it.  I agree, drop the eco-junk and get some quality products to start finishing your projects.  Water-based products such as dyes, stains, and Antiques are nothing more than somebody's "feel good" moment towards environmental protection but the reality is that the products do not provide the leather craftsman with anything more than a tinted batch of water that has no use aside from advertising "I am doing my part" while only serving an injustice to beauty of the leather to which it is applied.

I struggled with the water stain dye at first, this video really opened my eyes to how it works.  As the gentleman says, it is not a pigment with a solvent carrier.  This works entirely differently.  I have also discovered that lightly dampening the leather accelerates the process and improves the end results.  I have been able to get more even colored results with this dye than the solvent based ones doing it this way.  YMMV, don't let others discourage you, you will find which dyes and techniques work best for you.  In some cases you may discover you want different types of dyes for different projects, as I have.  They each seem to have their places.   I don't really buy into the environmentally friendly aspect, I am sure the manufacturing process isn't all that friendly, and instructions mention well ventilated area if I recall.  Anyhow, Best of luck to you,

YinTx

Thank you. Yeah, I found that out the first time I used dyes. I went out and bought some Fiebing's Pro. Unfortunately, I was colouring a fllower, and Fiebing's doesn't come in pink! The background was the main issue: I didn't want to mix dyes in case it caused a problem. The Eco-flo tan was a real PITA to apply. Now that it's dry, it doesn't look too bad, so I touched up the uneven spots, and I think it will be okay.

I totally messed up another project using Fiebing's alcohol based dye last night, so there's a learning curve with ALL these products, though the Fiebing's Pro has given me the best results so far of any of the dyes I've used.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I do not care for the regular eco flo dyes at all.   But when I want more muted colors, Fiebings is usually the better choice and eco flo pro dyes are great for more vibrant colors.  And yes, there is a learning curve for all of them.

FYI, both the cream suede and red suede lined valet trays here were done with the Eco-Flo dyes, including the tooled leather inserts.  I mixed the colors without any problem, and even lightened them up using the "Pull up Addititive."

YinTx

5 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Thank you. Yeah, I found that out the first time I used dyes. I went out and bought some Fiebing's Pro. Unfortunately, I was colouring a fllower, and Fiebing's doesn't come in pink! The background was the main issue: I didn't want to mix dyes in case it caused a problem. The Eco-flo tan was a real PITA to apply. Now that it's dry, it doesn't look too bad, so I touched up the uneven spots, and I think it will be okay.

I totally messed up another project using Fiebing's alcohol based dye last night, so there's a learning curve with ALL these products, though the Fiebing's Pro has given me the best results so far of any of the dyes I've used.

You need to go look at Angelus leather dye (https://angelusdirect.com/collections/angelus-dye-1)
Their Rose and Light Rose might be the pink you needed. 
I have a growing collection of their dyes, since they come in a wide variety of colors which cuts down on the mixing, and I think they match Fiebing's in good results.
I only keep Eco-Flo stuff around for working with kids.

Yin-Tx, that looks REALLY nice!  Did you use the Pro dye, or the regular Eco-Flo?

DJDole, I went to their website, and the first thing I saw was "Does not ship outside the U.S...."  So, so much for that product! :(

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Honestly since I've started airbrushing the dye on I've had zero issues and I've been using the eco-flo water based dyes.  I've used the alcohol and oil ones too and defintiely find it's easier to get even coverage with the waterstains while using the airbrush.  Plus now I airbrush on the resoline afterward and again, zero issues any more.

SheilaJeanne,

Thank you.  The lined and stitched valet trays were done with eco flow dyes, worked into the leather as shown by the gentleman in the video.  First time I ever used the dye, I just tried to apply it to the surface like an oil based dye, and it looked caked and terrible.  However, after I learned to lightly dampen the leather then to rub the dye in and work it like oh... say, lotion, until it was absorbed by the leather, and wiped the excess off, and buffed dry, things began to look much much better, to the point that I really kind of liked it. Now that I understand how to use it, I can select what type of dye I want to use based on the product I am making.   Venator, I can't imagine air brushing it, I'd like to see a video of how that worked and the finished product since you have had success doing it that way.

YinTx

On 12/25/2016 at 5:37 PM, DJole said:

You need to go look at Angelus leather dye
Their Rose and Light Rose might be the pink you needed. 
I have a growing collection of their dyes, since they come in a wide variety of colors which cuts down on the mixing, and I think they match Fiebing's in good results.
I only keep Eco-Flo stuff around for working with kids.

Contact Turtle Feathers Inc. They ship internationally and carry a large selection of Angelus products at good prices.

Thank you!

And now I find out from Barry King Leather that WyoSheen is no longer available! 

http://www.sheridanleather.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=Wyosheen

What else would people recommend as a resist for colouring leather, other than Eco-Flo products?

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On 12/27/2016 at 10:56 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

Yin-Tx, that looks REALLY nice!  Did you use the Pro dye, or the regular Eco-Flo?

DJDole, I went to their website, and the first thing I saw was "Does not ship outside the U.S...."  So, so much for that product! :(

Ah, I didn't think to look at where  you are posting from! Whoops...

Well, a quick search finds some Canadian sources for you:
<http://www.longviewleather.com/angelus-dyes/> in Alberta
Amazon.ca has Angelus dyes for sale also.

Look on this thread for some more possibilities: