utah leather

american made hand tools for leather

I'm looking for american made hand tools for my leather belt making business, especially an oblong punch that makes a  1/4 " wide X 1 1/4 long hole for the tongue slot  and a decent rivet setter ( to smash and round the copper rivet ) not these little tools that Tandy sells.

Barry King is one.

Bob Douglas makes the best copper rivet setting tools. The finish and detail on all his tools is phenomenal.

you can make your own rivet setter   take a #8 bolt 1/2 inch and about 2 inch in length. . on the end of the bolt the threaded end drill a hole thats a little larger the the copper rivet you want to set. and deeper than the rivet you want to use. this will set the washer. you can also use it to dome the rivet  by setting it on a pc of  12 iron  thick leather . as for the setter just take a 6" pc of hardened ill rod 3/8 and at one end drill a shallow divet  i'd use a 3/16 drill bit  then grind a long tapper to almost to the edge of what you drilled on the end re harden it if you  think you need to and your good to go

so if you have a drill press and a belt grinder go for it

Bob Douglas makes the best copper rivet setting tools. The finish and detail on all his tools is phenomenal.

This is the full set, #8,9,10,12 & 14. One tool drives the burr, one tool peens the shank of the rivet and the last one domes the flat head on the opposite end of the rivet. I have a good lathe (Hardinge) and I couldn't buy the Stress-Proof bar stock, turn the diameter, radius the ends, bore, knurl, and polish all the surfaces for what he charges for these, about 60.00 for each 3-piece set.

IMG_0414.JPG

The toolmakers mentioned offer a range of premium quality tools, but don't forget CS Osborne tools.  They are US-made (NJ), and tend to be on the 'workhorse' side of things.

Like many off-the-shelf tools, they often require a bit of touch-up before they function at their best. 

Weaver Leather has their Master Tool line.  They are all made in the USA and are very good quality.

+1 with Weaver Master Tools. Excellent quality. Wide Range. Sharp enough to use them out of the box. I'd have many more if I could afford them.