myjtp

NEW Tandy Stitching Pony only $22.99 !! Amazon

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I found a different one with some sort of cam lock for 28 bucks on Amazon last night. I wasn't in the market for one, but, I have a hard time passing up a deal.

https://www.amazon.com/KINGSO-Desktop-Leather-Sewing-Leathercraft/dp/B01FUBBY7Q

An unusual piece of hardware design. I can't figure out, from the photos, just how that cam lock *closes* the jaws together, since it's not clear how the end opposite the cam lever is attached to the wood.

39 minutes ago, DJole said:

An unusual piece of hardware design. I can't figure out, from the photos, just how that cam lock *closes* the jaws together, since it's not clear how the end opposite the cam lever is attached to the wood.

I think there is a piece of all thread involved. The handle looks like it disappears into a slot when closed.

On 1/19/2017 at 2:29 PM, Mattsbagger said:

Resized_20170102_114105.jpeg

So I just started using this pony (like literally yesterday). I like it well enough, but I was wondering what other people do when they're stitching a larger piece of leather? I'm still working on a practice rectangular piece I got from the stitching class at Tandy and sometimes I have to ram the leather in and sort of fold it up because that screw is right in the middle of the pony. It seems like this could get in the way if you were trying to stitch something larger, like a bag, and still have the clamps close to your stitching line. I've noticed that Ian Atkinson has ditched his screw in favor of some plastic clamps, but he's also got the cheaper Tandy pony where the two arms touch each other. Has anybody else encountered this problem and what's your workaround? 

Edited by strathmoredesigns

When I have hand stitched a bag or larger piece I just lay it on my table and stitch while it is laying flat.  

Sometimes I will take the bolt out and use a pistol grip style bar clamp. Sometim I just clamp it to outside of pony with same style clamp. Like when I do a bag. Anything I can get to work so I have 2 hands to stitch.

It really isn't made for doing things like a bag or large items of that design; I too just lay the larger items on my table or my lap and just stitch away.  It is much easier to control and work with a big item outside of a stitching horse.

My Tandy pony has enough tension to use without the bolt for most things.   

I have only done one large tote and I laid it flat on my desk with a piece of granite on top.

Thanks guys. Good ideas all around. I'll give them a try and see where I get.