mixmkr

good upgrade from the LU562

I'm using the Awntex only because the customer said get the best you can buy..and supposedly this is just a tad better than Phifertex.  90% UV blockage.  Wants to keep the sun of his new SeaRay.  Trivantage was the source.  I didn't heat cut it either. 
Here's the LU 562 rippin down the side lanes....

The long-arm Adler 220 style machines (also Consew 744, Singer 144) have even bigger bobbins. Those machines run $4-5K used. True monsters. I could barely lift up one end of the machine head high enough to get them off the ground and onto a dolly.

Rough bobbin size comparison:

Juki 562= 1x

Juki 1508= 2x

DA 867 (XXL option)= 2.7x

Adler 220 = 4.5x

On 9/11/2018 at 4:24 AM, Uwe said:

Here's the side-by-side parts list of the two hooks you can install in a Juki LU-563:    Standard: B1830-563-0A0     Thick Thread: B1830-563-BA0

Both hooks were carried over to the later Juki LU-1500 Series of machines. 

Juki LU-563 Hooks.png

On 9/10/2018 at 4:52 PM, Kailupe said:

Hi,

I am curious and wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to discover whether the larger hook form the Juki LU-1508 in fact worked with the Juki LU-563 to increase its ability to use the V207 gauge thread top and bottom. I would like to know if that is a good route to try before I order that Hook?

I am needing to sew with some thicker thread so any recommendatons/upgrades from my LU-563 to something different  would be much appreciated!

On 9/11/2018 at 3:55 AM, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

They are 100% interchangeable from LU-563 to LU-1508, just as long as the see attached. 

KobanHookPages.pdf

On 1/16/2017 at 4:16 PM, Uwe said:

That Ebay listing is an auction, by the way, not a buy-it-now listing. I'd talk to the guy before bidding and find out exactly how he plans to ship it. Many perfectly good machines have been destroyed in transit, especially if they're shipped by people who don't ship sewing machines for a living.

On 1/16/2017 at 6:47 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Our member dealers, who have the ad banners in rotation on top of our pages, are the life blood of this forum. Please do contact them about your goals.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:02 PM, Uwe said:

Personally, I think a proper upgrade from the average Juki LU-562 setup would be something like a Durkopp Adler 867. Both machines do essentially the same thing (single needle flatbed for medium weight materials,) but you just know you're not in Kansas anymore the moment you sit down in front of it (or try to lift it out of the table.) I can hook you up. Call me after you explain the situation to your first-born.

On 1/16/2017 at 2:20 PM, mixmkr said:

unless somebody beats me to it...  I'm about ready to jump....but is there any downside to just the 1508... no "N", NH...etc?  At least that's what's on the plate...just "1508".    or am I just getting a larger bobbin LU562?  Seems the changes since the LU562/563 might be of benefit... like the rectangular presser foot rotation.  I like the top feed bobbin too. 

On 1/16/2017 at 8:50 AM, Tejas said:

The Juki 1500N Engineer's Manual lists the various models' specifications.

Gregg characterizes the differences:

"As for the H model of the LU-1508N...this machine has a heavier 'flywheel' or handwheel. It's about six pounds, the standard is is about one pound. This helps with starting torque starting the run and getting the machine turning over. The H model also has a heavy hook that will allow a larger needle and thread to be used. That's it, part for part, really. I don't really know why people would think this is a much heavier capacity machine than a standard walking foot is capable of. It's not."

In the following thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/66067-machine-choice-heavier-than-a-juki-1541s/

LU-1500N Engineer's Manual 2002.pdf

On 1/15/2017 at 5:51 AM, brmax said:

A few differences I would consider standard, and that i look at to see are that the NH as a requirement in my book being heavy             duty model just like other heavy equipment I spent working on can be represented in many ways, here are just a few.

A Door that opens readily, hood- or this case the needle bar door thats cost a 100. bucs; how do i know i bought one for a 41s               and believe it or not i have a plainjane 41 that had a door, go figure!                                                                                                 (revert to top mention, what I consider standard heavy duty options)

A bigger Balancer pulley, provides an constant range of momentum higher than others that zippyity doo around like little cars

A bigger Casting at lower end, providing torsional strength with durability as the webbing that carries the bearings.

A Tension assembly with more and better range of adjustments, there is a difference!; weather you need to have it ?

These are some things above I think are considered, I suspect pressure spring parts could be different but really haven't any measures on coils. 

There is no doubt that in my mind some dealers and pro sew machine tech's and some others have seen clear differences and    that is just the difference in my experience, a call to them can make this all pretty boring as the answer would be in short order. Then what would we do here, finger gallopin on the table!  do 2 doo

hey coffees done, and oh ya good morning!

Floyd

On 1/14/2017 at 8:41 PM, mixmkr said:

I think the NH has a higher ultimate presser foot lift and can sew thicker materials (and heavier)...and a slightly longer 10mm stitch...versus just the 1508, which is what I'm referencing in my original first post.  I've got my hand on the trigger, but.......

In your assessment of a used Juki lu-1508,  presumed to be in good to excellent working condition and could probably be altered to match many of the  characteristic advantages of the H model upgrade, what do you think is a fair price to pay for just the head??

Wholesale typically is 20% and hardly ever over 30-40%.  So anything your happy with below these new retail price range.

I have found more importantly in sales of any not new or new old stock items are the persons interested. These buyers no matter what have their own point they will take a serious pause. 

If they the buyers have a legit use, personally! the price can go as you know crazy hi 

good day

Floyd

Very few of the normal pricing guidelines apply to Hawaii. Some things are cheaper because you're much closer to the Asian manufacturers, but many things get the very-remote-island markup. 

You probably know best what new machines cost in Hawaii. Take a third off and you have fair deal on a good used machine, half off is a very good deal, two thirds off is a bargain. Much depends on the condition of the machine, as always.