KeithHideWorks

Edge Guide for Consew 225 (and clones)

I have seen these on some of the higher end machines, a bracket or plate that acts as an edge when sewing belts and the like.  Does anyone make something like this for a Consew 225 class machine?

I think they may be called a roller edge guide?  

You have a few options with varying degrees of expense, utility, and installation work involved.

A simple, strong rare earth magnet that attaches to the slide plate works for many folks. You can buy a commercial version, or just a plain long bar magnet for around $10. Having holes in the magnet allows for attaching a knob/handle or additional guide bits. I buy magnets from http://www.apexmagents.com

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 6.05.16 PM.png

You can also make your own edge guide that attaches to the slide plate with screws, like this:

IMG_3892.jpg

The fancy swing down edge guides are nice and versatile, but you have to drill and tap mounting holes on the back of your machine.

IMG_3461.jpgIMG_3471.jpgIMG_3466.jpg

Neodymium magnets are strong as hell.  There are two in every computer (tower style) hard drive.

I have several coffee cans full of them. I used one and a small scrap of sheet brass to make an edge guide. They also make great tool holders, screw catchers, etc.

EdgeGuide.jpg

EdgeGuide2.jpg

EdgeGuide3.jpg

Here is one i have yet to get but other stitchers and woodworkers have mentioned this exact one, with the release its pretty neat. 

Floyd

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.aspx?p=65258&cat=3,42363,42356&ap=1

Damn man, that looks fantastic. Im trying to order them but you have to get them in person....and the stores are in Canada!  4.5 Hr drive from vancouver ,wa to vancouver,CAN

After Searching this is the best I can do: https://www.amazon.com/Magswitch-MAGJIG-95-MagJig/dp/B003FWERRC/ref=pd_sim_469_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2NNMJY3WCNJNEBBPBZWY

Its the only one that i am reasonably sure is small enough to clear the head of the machine. 

Edited by KeithHideWorks

There's a sweet spot with plain (non-switchable) rare earth magnets - strong enough to stay put, but not so strong as to be dangerous. It's tempting to think that stronger is better. My coworkers experimenting with rare earth magnets for electric motors had warning signs plastered all over their cubicle about the magnets. The truly strong magnets will pinch/remove skin and fleshy parts of your finger in a split second if you handle them wrong. Definitely not for households with kids and pets, either. If you swallow one, you're in deep trouble, if you swallow two an hour apart, you're on the operating table. 

9 hours ago, Uwe said:

There's a sweet spot with plain (non-switchable) rare earth magnets - strong enough to stay put, but not so strong as to be dangerous. It's tempting to think that stronger is better. My coworkers experimenting with rare earth magnets for electric motors had warning signs plastered all over their cubicle about the magnets. The truly strong magnets will pinch/remove skin and fleshy parts of your finger in a split second if you handle them wrong. Definitely not for households with kids and pets, either. If you swallow one, you're in deep trouble, if you swallow two an hour apart, you're on the operating table. 

LOL.  Never really thought about that, but you're right.

12 hours ago, KeithHideWorks said:

Damn man, that looks fantastic. Im trying to order them but you have to get them in person....and the stores are in Canada!  4.5 Hr drive from vancouver ,wa to vancouver,CAN

After Searching this is the best I can do: https://www.amazon.com/Magswitch-MAGJIG-95-MagJig/dp/B003FWERRC/ref=pd_sim_469_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2NNMJY3WCNJNEBBPBZWY

Its the only one that i am reasonably sure is small enough to clear the head of the machine. 

Try this url and make sure that you pick US in the top right if it isn't already there.  http://www.leevalley.com/us/

Tom

May have to be a registered buyer, I do recall this issue its been several years ago but I dont remember the work around.

Floyd

23 hours ago, brmax said:

May have to be a registered buyer, I do recall this issue its been several years ago but I dont remember the work around.

Floyd

Assuming you are referring to Lee Valley.  They are a retail business.  Not sure if you have to register for an account, likely handled much the same as Amazon.  You register for an account with them too.  Lee Valley is about 25 minutes away from me on a good traffic day, so I always go to their store.  Have pre-ordered on the web so it is ready for me to pick up.  They have some really nice stuff, and some very expensive woodworking tools!  Most of those tools are way beyond my price range.

Tom

I ended up buying this after doing a bunch of magnet research. I only hope that the magnet doesn't throw off the bobbin timing or throw it out of whack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UU6W3Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by KeithHideWorks

Please report back after you get it. I enjoyed reading the Amazon review of the football player who struggled to get this magnet off his fridge. 

Edited by Uwe

This is my take on an Edge Guide for a 226. Two rare earth magnets fixed underneath. They grab on to the machine bed rather than the bobbin cover.

Took me about an hour to whip up but I did have to dimension the piece of timber with hand tools.

I'll put a couple of coats of polyurethane on to protect the timber and the leather.

You can see from the straight lines on the test piece that it works really well.

Edge Guide1.jpg

Edge Guide2.jpg

Edge Guide3.jpg

Thanks for the ideas, folks, this is my version. I have plenty of old hard drive magnets but unfortunately they don't have convenient screw holes in them, so I used a small steel bar and super-glued two to it. Rather than wood I used a piece of hard nylon that I had and milled the sides flat and a rebate in the bottom for the bar. I had already made a guide roller for a different fitting so I milled a groove in the top and screwed it to the nylon. (I have to use a screwdriver to lever the bar from the machine base to move it!!!).

edge guide 1a.jpg

edge guide 2a.jpg

edge guide 3a.jpg

So I got the Magnet it in. Lets just say its a little too powerfull for this machine. Going to look into getting a smaller one and trying that.  This one is WAY WAY to powerfull and takes everything I have just to move it. I really don't want to operate the machine with this massive magnetic field that attracts everything metallic within 8inches.  I am thinking a smaller, round one will work better as an index.

This is a N50, 71LB magnet and is 3x.5x.5.   Something with much less than half this magnet power, I'm thinking in the 25lb range would be a much better choice.

Debating between:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX884DCS&cat=173

or 

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DA8

If we could locate some with the switch it would make the whole process a lot better. I have the normal stands for dial indicators to use in the craziest places and its just great. I took a look around for that type and a few are available, but it may be better to just make a couple nice brackets as Dikman posted and implementing something. Its possible though still not cheap one of these newer fandangled switchables from woodworkers place can fill the need.

Them at sailrite are pretty slick, i can see these being real handy, really key in on that nylon or pvc bracket material again cool!

Floyd

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/magswitch-magjig-60-switchable-magnet-for-jigs-and-fixtures?gclid=CP6p_Ymk4dECFQkPaQodkOgPjw

Switchable magnets would certainly be easier to use and those that northmount linked to would probably be easier to adapt to a guide.

Keith, if that magnet is a bit strong try putting a few layers of tape on the bottom, that should reduce its "grab" a bit. I wouldn't worry about the magnetic field affecting other parts of the machine, as once it's clamped to the metal base that should contain the field and stop it extending beyond where it's clamped.

I think I need to figure out some sort of fitting on mine so that I can easily break the magnetic contact to remove it, as using a screwdriver to lever it isn't very elegant.

Edited by dikman

Since this topic is sorta-kinda morphing into a show&tell of DIY magnetic edge guides, I started tinkering. I live near an IKEA and IKEA hacks are one of my favorite things. I made a magnetic edge guide based on an IKEA  $9 GRUNDTAL magnetic knife rack bar and a small $4 BLANKETT handle (longer ones cost more). Each knife rack has twelve rare earth magnet bars glued to the back. The magnets can be removed carefully (the magnets are brittle, I broke one out of the twelve.) The BLANKETT handle comes in different lengths, has a low and a high guide edge and a nice, smooth anodized brush finish.

The small version of the handle is just the right size for a set of three of the magnet bars and fits on the slide plate. I cut a longer handle to size to fit nine magnet bars for a stronger hold and longer guide edge. Simple double sided adhesive tape a or a few drops of glue will hold the magnets to the handles. The handles are big enough to grab with your fingers when pulling the guide off and the holding force can be adjusted by adding/removing magnets.

I didn't spend quite enough time to scrape the glue residue off the magnets to make it look super pretty, but it's functional and can be made to look nice. I'm attaching a few pictures. 

IMG_7147.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7158.jpg

Dang... that's a mighty big wall.  Who's going to pay for it?  ;-D

I've never really cared much for the magnets as an edge guide....most of the ones I've played with all look like they will tend to abrade away the paint if they are strong enough to be reliable...just from the friction of making position adjustments over time. I've been using a captain obvious quick-change plate that has a set screw on the back end...it secures the plate into the bobbin cover dovetails for the machines like the 225/226 or 111w types that don't have a spring lock like the Juki 563's etc. use.

-DC

Guide_1.jpg

OOPS. This is the guide mounted in the table.

-DC

Guide_2a.jpg