Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

Sewing machine for sale

It's big, it has a table and it sews something like 750 stitches per minute. The man in Macon who fixed all the shoe shop machines called it a "mattress machine" and made it purr like a kitten. A very fast and powerful kitten. I'm scared to death of it, and will never use it. It is sitting in my basement with all its pieces, and has been there since John Henry died. He used the Singer for jobs that required sewing two pieces of 8-9ox leather together, and it never dropped a stitch. It was fast, though. It has a foot pedal, and he always talked about modifying it to run by hand, but I don't know how he planned to do that. The shipping would be horrendous, but I have a truck and would be willing to take it to someone within reason, and I can post pictures of it if anyone is interested. I would like to reclaim the space it is using, and see it go to someone who can put it to work. No reasonable offer refused.

Johanna

Hello JoHanna

A picture along with a model number would be nice. Where are you located? I have a client in Florida looking for machinery.

Thanks

Blake

Johanna,

I know what you mean. I purchased a 'Chandler' from a friend of a friend. I'm scared I'm gonna sew my arm to the table. It was much more machine than I need, so I bought another. Now they sit and stare at each other, waiting for me to actually sew something. One day.

shirleyz

It's big, it has a table and it sews something like 750 stitches per minute. The man in Macon who fixed all the shoe shop machines called it a "mattress machine" and made it purr like a kitten. A very fast and powerful kitten. I'm scared to death of it, and will never use it. It is sitting in my basement with all its pieces, and has been there since John Henry died. He used the Singer for jobs that required sewing two pieces of 8-9ox leather together, and it never dropped a stitch. It was fast, though. It has a foot pedal, and he always talked about modifying it to run by hand, but I don't know how he planned to do that. The shipping would be horrendous, but I have a truck and would be willing to take it to someone within reason, and I can post pictures of it if anyone is interested. I would like to reclaim the space it is using, and see it go to someone who can put it to work. No reasonable offer refused.

Johanna

Hello Johanna

My client still has interest in your machine if you are really serious about selling it?

We need information.

Blake

P2200015__Medium_.JPGP2200016__Medium_.JPGP2200017__Medium_.JPG

Months later...she ventures into the basement and confronts the machine.... I'm trying to find the manual I had, may have to find another. Other than Proleptic, anyone have any suggestions in case I can't find it? My husband started the machine and seems to be working just fine, but the tension is off a little (surprise surprise!)

Johanna

P2200018__Medium_.JPG

post-5-1172081669_thumb.jpg

post-5-1172081682_thumb.jpg

post-5-1172081692_thumb.jpg

post-5-1172081707_thumb.jpg

I should add that John apparently did fix the foot pedal. You can turn corners or get into tight areas by using it manually (without the motor) and switch back and forth as needed. I think this modification was done before I bought the machine, but John fixed it. My husband, Wade, just tried it, and it works fine manually,too. He asked me why anyone would want to sew without the motor (he's not a leatherworker!) and I explained the reasoning. As you can see, it has a large table and I do have a box of different presser foots, needles, and other goodies to go with it. John liked this machine because of the deep throat. I hunted for the manual, but I can't find it (too many years and too much stuff!) so I called Proleptic and ordered another one. The manual is 40 pages and has a complete parts list.

Johanna

I should add that John apparently did fix the foot pedal. You can turn corners or get into tight areas by using it manually (without the motor) and switch back and forth as needed. I think this modification was done before I bought the machine, but John fixed it. My husband, Wade, just tried it, and it works fine manually,too. He asked me why anyone would want to sew without the motor (he's not a leatherworker!) and I explained the reasoning. As you can see, it has a large table and I do have a box of different presser foots, needles, and other goodies to go with it. John liked this machine because of the deep throat. I hunted for the manual, but I can't find it (too many years and too much stuff!) so I called Proleptic and ordered another one. The manual is 40 pages and has a complete parts list.

Johanna

You could also try: http://parts.singerco.com/. The have the majority of their manuals on there as pdf's.

This Singer was made between 1939-42. Model 153w103

"High speed, compound feed, alternating pressers, belt drive, link take up, safety clutch, foot lifter, four motion feed movement." Whatever that all means.

:dunno:

I have all of it from the manual to the original oil can.

Johanna

how much are you wanting for this machine?

Rob

Edited by AKRob

I've still got the machine, and the manuals & parts list. Quite a few people have asked about it, but not one person has made me an offer- they keep asking me what I want for it! I need to get rid of it before my husband becomes too attached to it (or attaches his hand to something!) Someone make me an offer:

johanna@leatherworker.net

Johanna

I've still got the machine, and the manuals & parts list. Quite a few people have asked about it, but not one person has made me an offer- they keep asking me what I want for it! I need to get rid of it before my husband becomes too attached to it (or attaches his hand to something!) Someone make me an offer:

johanna@leatherworker.net

Johanna

have you sold your machine?

No, but my husband likes it now, and I can't convince him that we need to get rid of it. Sigh.

Johanna

And WHAT is Wade going to do with it????? huh

Inquireing minds and all that.......

You can't sew wood with it, you know. Well maybe you can. It is big and heavy.

And NO you can't bring it to my basement

Sincerely

Your cousin

Are you volunteering to teach Wade to lay out patterns and sew?

I don't think you have enough room or light in your basement yet, but if you want to clear out a spot upstairs...at least the machine would get used! (It's hard living with packrats, isn't it?)

Seriously, he asked me to keep it so he could sew on it. In his spare time, right, sure.

Johanna