Brown64

Good leather

Does anyone know a good place I can get some decent leather at a reasonable price. You wouldn't believe this garbage I got from Springfield leather today! I mean it was B grade, but I don't think I would consider it economy grade personally. Mostly junk for practice.

Edited by Brown64

This doesn't really help but all the B grade Hermann Oak I have gotten from Springfield has been really good. Very few marks at all. Perhaps you might contact them and see if they will fix this issue for you.

Just order from wickett and craig or any of the other decent places. Goliger has good prices and quality product, maverick is decent, hide house is pretty good.

WC is closer to you I think then the others unless you specifically want HO leather. 

Oh and all the places I listed have better prices then SF for the most part.

Edited by MADMAX22

Yeah, SLC has sent some REALLY rough leather.  At least they've always been good about taking it back (and paying the return shipping as well).

I suppose if you send rough leather to enough people, some of them won't know better and will keep it ... :whistle:

I emailed them hopefully they make it right. I was looking on there site again and I noticed the have the economy grade that sell for $19.00 and is about 5 square feet. I'm guessing someone just got lazy, and decided they didn't want to cut me a piece of grade B leather, and just sent this instead. Same square feet, but I paid three times the price!

1 hour ago, MADMAX22 said:

Just order from wickett and craig or any of the other decent places. Goliger has good prices and quality product, maverick is decent, hide house is pretty good.

WC is closer to you I think then the others unless you specifically want HO leather. 

Oh and all the places I listed have better prices then SF for the most part.

Thanks for the info I'll definitely check them out.

Try Wickett & Craig...good leather, but you have to buy either a whole side, a back or a belly.  They will not sell it by the foot.

Well they replied back, and said too keep the junk, and they are sending me a new piece free of charge. I hope it comes better than the last stuff. If they do as promised at least they back up what they sell.

Edited by Brown64

Yeah I purchased a #1 pre-cut from them and felt that it was a #2 at best since it had an awl mark in a bad location but they just fully refunded the piece. Still a little irritating but I buy from SLC with confidence that they are good on their product. 

I would rather buy in the confidence of getting a good product in the first place. 

21 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

I would rather buy in the confidence of getting a good product in the first place. 

I agree, I should clarify that I have only purchased tools and leather that is smaller than a full side from them. When I get some more cash flow I intend to purchase a full side from Wickett & Craig. The wife would prefer if I not blow all our cash right now. LOL. :dunno:

I hear that. You'll like the WC when the time is right.

I like W/C leather. But not everything they sent me has been wonderful ;)

H.O. the only place has never sent me a piece I didn't like.  No, wait -- and Goliger leather, too -- but the price is considerably higher than at HO

On 3/3/2017 at 3:01 AM, Brown64 said:

Does anyone know a good place I can get some decent leather at a reasonable price. You wouldn't believe this garbage I got from Springfield leather today! I mean it was B grade, but I don't think I would consider it economy grade personally. Mostly junk for practice.

yeap, happened to me also.

you can get directly from WC or HO - WC have no minimums, but HO does..

there are also thelatherguy, maverick etc.

there was a topic, which has been closed recently

you know, guys, we are all here to communicate, some have positive , and some have negative experience with the mentioned supplier, but insisting that 'paying a banner' means we have to be loyal and tolerant to a supplier, who does mistakes  and shows careless on regular basis and not once a year.. not reasonable enough - we spend money, we spend time, some spend nerves and some are cold - but truly 'careful' and professional supplier  won't push crap and non-usable materials to a customers no matter a customer is a pro or a newbie..

personally, I've shifted to WC in order to get a good leather, having a negative experience (not a month or year, but much more, with SLC)

remember - we're talking about leather, not other products they sell (however I did received a lack of screws for the floral carved belt sets, or ordering one kind of stamp and at a result getting another)

paying a banner doesn't mean we have to be zombie slaves

6 hours ago, nrk said:

but insisting that 'paying a banner' means we have to be loyal and tolerant to a supplier, who does mistakes  and shows careless on regular basis and not once a year..

Yep

6 hours ago, nrk said:

there was a topic, which has been closed recently

you know, guys, we are all here to communicate, some have positive , and some have negative experience with the mentioned supplier, but insisting that 'paying a banner' means we have to be loyal and tolerant to a supplier, who does mistakes  and shows careless on regular basis and not once a year.. not reasonable enough - we spend money, we spend time, some spend nerves and some are cold - but truly 'careful' and professional supplier  won't push crap and non-usable materials to a customers no matter a customer is a pro or a newbie..

I agree.  I think I may know which post you refer to.  Ended up great for the guy who complained the most.  The rest of us are just out of our hard earned cash :(

I would have rather sent that money to support the forum!