kellyblues

How to get a deep shine finish on veg tan.

Only thing i can think of is resolene or super sheene.

leather sheen works real well, sometimes it might take more than one coat and make sure you wear a mask or spray it outside.  Tandy and weaver carry it and I imagine that most other places have it or can get it.

I haven't liked the plastic like looks from the resolene, clear-lac, etc.  Resolene 50/50 water seems ok.  But I did find something that makes a fantastic shine, however it is a lot of work, unless you have a power polisher.  I think I saw a shoe maker apply carnuba wax to the bottom of a shoe sole, then use a power buffer to bring out the glory.  By hand, its a whole lotta work, but by George, it looks great. YMMV.  Let us know what you come up with!

YinTx

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

Depending on the context you could bull the item: 

Boots-Bulled (1).jpg

That brings back some memories! Spitshine!

Thought these two links may reduce the likelihood of repetition for more recent members. And nostalgia for others.

9 minutes ago, gary said:

Thought these two links may reduce the likelihood of repetition for more recent members. And nostalgia for others.

Bad flashbacks for some ;) If you were unable to get that mirror-like shine, there was usually one person in the barracks that would do it for a few bucks. I think that was how Elvis got through it. There were all sorts of opinions on how to do it, some involved first stripping the boot with alcohol, some said light the shoe polish until it melted, another was cottonballs or diapers, but water usually helped in most cases... and lots of elbow grease.

I used cotton balls and water. Small circles. We were issued 2 pairs of boots and one pair of shoes. One pair of boots were for work and always looked liked shit. The second pair were for parade and never got close to dirt! Always nice and spit polish....until it became an offense to spit on the Queens leather!. Shoes were for service dress only Number 1 uniform. I got a hold of a us cav mag and mail ordered in some shiny shoes. Problem solved!

I airbrush on full strength mop n glo for that super shiny look.