480volt

Original use for the 29-4

The Singer 29-4 and associated machines are discussed frequently on this forum. I own one and I know its uses and limitations. It's usually referred to as a cobblers machine, designed for patching shoes- which brings me to my point. What would a cobbler actually use one for? You certainly couldn't sew the welt on a sole. Ive worked in construction for decades and I've never seen a boot wear out where applying a patch would do you a bit of good. It's always heels, soles and the tips of the toes that wear out. Granted, you could resew the backstays on my Wescos, or maybe repair the stitching on the vamp or heel counter but it wouldn't be pretty and you certainly wouldn't use it on an expensive fashion shoe where the pressor foot marks are going to be objectionable. Quite a few of this class of machine must have been sold, based on how many are still around, but how were they actually used? Any cobblers willing to weigh in on this one?

IMG_0606.JPG

Every shoe repair shop has one or more patcher machines. Some are Singer, some are Adler and others are Claes brand. These machines are a must have if one is asked to repair stitches inside a cylindrical object, or to sew a patch over a pocket on a vest, or onto the sleeve of a jacket, or to resew something on a shoe upper, or replace Velcro or elastic on a shoe or replace a zipper in a boot. They can also be used to resew internal sections of wallets that have thread going or gone.

I use mine for all of the above, plus, resewing and replacing strap tabs and zippers on purses and other bags, sewing cue stick cases, sewing certain otherwise inaccessible areas on rifle bags, sewing patches and hatbands/sweatbands on hats, and last but not least, darning tears in boots, vests, jackets, purses and other soft leather and denim goods,

So, in a nutshell, if you repair leather things, you'll probably need a patcher. If you only make new things of your own design and choosing, you probably won't need one. With their little tiny bobbins, the 29-4 patchers are only good for repairs, not production.

Finally, when a customer asks you to sew a torn seam on their valuable-to-them purse, wallet, boot or shoe, tooth marks aren't going to bother them.

I don't know anything about sewing shoes, but these guys did.

soldier29_4.jpg

Great Pic! Knee deep in shoe repairs! Looks like they are giving the good old 29-4's a workout!

I have been able to sew inside the toe area on half boots and most flat shoes to resew loose threads, using my Singer 29k71 patcher. The nose is just 1 inch wide and tall. The main person in the factory photo is sewing a side seam on a 29-4.

Patchers cannot sew soles, just uppers.

Great photo! As they say, a picture's worth a thousand posts! Was there a date attached to that photo, or can any military historians identify those uniforms?

Wiz, thanks for ideas on how far from shoe repair you can go with one of these machines! Now, if it just had the capacity of one of those Claes patchers...

See image, this is from owners manual describing what the intended use is.

29-4 Owners Book Image.JPG

1 hour ago, 480volt said:

Great photo! As they say, a picture's worth a thousand posts! Was there a date attached to that photo, or can any military historians identify those uniforms?

Looks like British Army. The moustache was compulsory until 1915.

3 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

See image, this is from owners manual describing what the intended use is.

I have friends who make custom shoes in downtown Flint, Michigan. One day last year, a young lady who worked there at the time came to my shop to sew a difficult pair of new boots on my patchers and CB4500. It seems (no pun) that their then existing machinery was more geared towards assembling insoles to uppers, then to outsoles, than upper assembly. My long arm patcher did everything until the pull tabs needed to be sewn onto the back of the boots. That required the use of my CB4500 to go through the solid 5/16"+ combined thickness with #207 thread, which was just beyond the capability of the Singer 29k172. If I had an Adler 30-70, or a Claes patcher (I wish), the entire job would heave been doable on it alone.

My 29k belonged to a Breton cobbler who used it to make shoes, boots and clogs ( sabots )..The soles of the boots a, shoes and clogs ( wooden soles in the case of the clogs were nailed onto the boots via a thinner sole which was sewn on to the uppers around the edges..kind of the way that a "goodyear" welt is made..and then the thicker "wear" sole was nailed onto it with "hobnails" the heads of which were turned over as they struck the "lst" which was inserted into the shoes or boots..then a thinner inner sole of leather was placed inside the boots or shoes to protect the wearers feet from the turned over nail ends..
The leather clog uppers ( boots and shoes were for richer folk , labourers and working people wore leather wooden soled clogs, with leather uppers..on sundays ) were nailed to the wooden clog soles..and in place of padding , or socks, they stuffed straw around their feet, come rain or shine, winter or summer..

Weekdays and for work..the non rich folks in this region of France wore clogs made entirely from solid wood, hollowed out with gouges..My father in law and mother in law both wore entirely wooden clogs all day every day except Sundays..as did many here..

I'll try to find some images, or take some photos of the wooden clogs and wooden and leather clogs and some of the old shoes and boots ( from when they had more money after WW2 ) we still have..but not right now as it is nearly 02.00 am :)..all were made by local cobblers or clog makers, and all the leatherwork was done on 29Ks or the equivalent models from other manufacturers..Life was very similar back home in Ireland for my folks too before WW2..
real leather shoes were a rich peoples thing..most sunday shoes ( if you had the money for shoes, might be made out of cardboard..or as it was called "patent leather" ) were worn until they near crippled you ( cos your feet grew ) and then handed down to the next kid in line..Irish and Breton French ( both catholic places ) had families with very many children..I had 15 cousins in one family, 19 cousins in another family, and 23 cousins in the largest family..and that is only the families related to me within a half a day walking distance from my folks house..real shoes were a luxury that very few could afford.My grandfather used to repair his own..and hand sew all the bridles and saddles and "tack" for himself and sell and repair harness, saddles etc..he bred and trained/broke horses , was a sort of "whisperer", well known in Southern Ireland..was his own blacksmith and farrier too..as were many poor farmers..

He grew up mostly barefoot, shoewearing ( if you had any , even handme downs ) was saved for putting on just before you got where the other church goers could see you..My wife says her grandparents had similar lives, a lot of the Bretons migrated..as did many of the Irish, we just had the famine as an extra reason.

I did once see a singer treadle domestic sewing machine in Ireland when I was a child..belonged to what to us was a very rich relative ( one of the Kennedys, we all are from the same 2 or 3 square mile area of the Kilkenny / Wexford border )..no children allowed to touch it..twas a wondrous thing to behold, even when still :)

Edited by mikesc