The first of two scabbards for my brothers-in-law. This is the biggest project I've tackled.

Some of my first lace work... Just a little for now.

I was a little disappointed with how scuffed up the piece got over the course of construction. I was thinking a carpeted work table might help protect it some- any ideas? I know I should be more careful with how I handle it, but any specific ideas you've used that help avoid collateral damage to your project when you handle and work it? 

2017-05-30 13.08.21.jpg

2017-05-30 13.10.06.jpg

2017-05-30 13.19.23.jpg

Edited by LonesomeLeather
Added pic

Very nice! I like the multi-tool designs you came up with. May have to steal the big one for some coasters.

18 hours ago, Fonzarellis said:

Very nice! I like the multi-tool designs you came up with. May have to steal the big one for some coasters.

Thanks! Help yourself, im glad you like it-  I'm not worth much for carving yet so I stick with the stamps mostly..

Well slap me on the bum and call me Judy... That's fantastic! How did you lace the hole for the bolt end?is it double loop? The stamping is nice too. I know which tools you used except for the depressions in the middle row. Is that a small pear shader or something else?

very nice

I don't make anything really big; but I have lots of scrap upholstery leather and felt which I put under anything I'm working on if necessary to protect it from too many scrapes and bumps

I think it looks fantastic.  I have that same problem with accidents mucking up my work.  My latest project has some unwanted dye splatter, twice.  First it picked some up off my owrk surface and second time I knocked over the cup I was working out of.  Very frustrating.  Nicks and scratches happen too, especially when lacing.

Keep your finger nails trimmed and watch out for any other thing like shirt cuff buttons, rings, etc.  Watch where you lay your tools down too.  That will reduce a lot of your marks on damp/cased leather.

When lacing, make sure the leather has dried so it doesn't pick up impressions easily.

Tom

11 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Well slap me on the bum and call me Judy... That's fantastic! How did you lace the hole for the bolt end?is it double loop? The stamping is nice too. I know which tools you used except for the depressions in the middle row. Is that a small pear shader or something else?

Thanks Judy :-)

Yes the lacing is double loop, with 1/8" lace from some kangaroo I've been hoarding.

If you mean the depressions around the letters, yes - that was done with a small smooth pear shader.

Thanks for the tips from you other folks as well, I think my biggest problem is getting too eager and not letting the leather rest after dying or whenever its still tender from tooling and stamping. Like was mentioned.  And I need more dedicated workspace, so I can quarantine my leather a little from everything else that goes on around here.