My first attempt with a Ranger style buckle, some sterling picked up at the market in Guadalajara.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Another fine piece. Your work has a unique look that I really like.   Great job!

I was just gonna say that spud.

Gray, I like how it's western floral but you take some of the "rules" and just say "nope! Not today!" And it turns out awesome every time. 

Youre kind of like the Tim Burton of leather carving haha, the shapes and things are all there but exaggerated and skewed (in a very good way) to portray something different and more organic and original. 

Then there's me who tries to figure carve a small horse head and it turns out looking like a daft my Little pony reject. hahaha!

I love the belt, good work. 

Really nice work. It is beautiful!

Now that is some deep tooling! Great work. Nice buckle set, too.

I agree the depth and style of tooling hit me first off. very very interesting approach.

As much as I love the pattern and your tooling, I have to say that I  don't think this belt is a true ranger. Don't ranger belts have narrow billets for the buckle and tip over a wider strap? I think this beauty would be considered a tapered belt.

Maybe I am just picking nits. I still absolutely love your work. It is more organic than traditional western style. Very cool.

@Sofaspud you are right. The belt is not a ranger belt. But I think Halliday was strictly referring to the buckle itself, which is a ranger buckle. That shape buckle is what was used by rangers (and the set consists of the buckle guide and tip) 

An actual ranger belt came into existence because the new colt six shooters of the 1840s weighed so much a regular belt wouldn't support it. So they adapted certain ideas from horse tack and made the ranger belt, a wider strap with billets attached for tightening. 

I had no idea about any of this until I saw Montana silversmiths site about ranger buckles haha. Interesting stuff, and beautiful buckles just fyi...

4 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

@Sofaspud you are right. The belt is not a ranger belt. But I think Halliday was strictly referring to the buckle itself, which is a ranger buckle. That shape buckle is what was used by rangers (and the set consists of the buckle guide and tip) 

An actual ranger belt came into existence because the new colt six shooters of the 1840s weighed so much a regular belt wouldn't support it. So they adapted certain ideas from horse tack and made the ranger belt, a wider strap with billets attached for tightening. 

I had no idea about any of this until I saw Montana silversmiths site about ranger buckles haha. Interesting stuff, and beautiful buckles just fyi...

Thanks for clearing that up. Interesting factoids.  That is a very nice buckle set.

I learn something new on this forum nearly  every time I open this  website. 

Me too haha that's why I'm always on here haha. 

Thanks, everyone!

I'm mostly self taught and am actually trying my best to mimic traditional Sheridan style carving. I'm just making it up as I go, and not very good at it. But people seem to like the goofy, flawed results. So, I'm just going with it, claiming that I've got some clever "style" that I'll elaborate extensively upon some day in some grandiose, narcissistic artist's statement... (sarcasm)

Mentioned before that I was a "pen" and "pencil" artist prior to finding leatherwork. I wear out pen nibs and break pencil tips all of the time, always pressing so heavy against the paper. Always a heavy handed artist. Interesting that the same pressure applied in my leatherwork is noticed.

Thanks, Stetson, for the clarification regarding the Ranger style buckle vs. Ranger style belt. The Ranger style belt is beyond my limited capabilities with the sewing machine. Maybe I'll get to it eventually. 

Thanks again for all the encouragement! I really appreciate it. 

Here are some other recent projects. I don't want to post multiple threads on the message boards here, especially for a keychain or something small. The medallion is made from brass plumber chain, the stuff that goes in the toilet. That's James Trussart in his guitar studio, with a pick guard and guitar strap that I did a while back. He's making guitars for Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Billy Gibbons, James Hetfield, Lucinda Williams, you name a famous guitarist and they've played one of James' guitars. Cool guy. And I made a couple of keychains for Mick Fleetwood's daughter. I'm now working on a strap for the guitarist from Foo Fighters (not Dave Grohl).

IMG_7047.jpeg

IMG_7051.jpeg

IMG_7055.jpeg

IMG_7071.jpg

IMG_7053.jpeg

IMG_7072.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

I love your style man.

Just awesome haha all good stuff. 

My latest called, "Tangled Tumbleweeds."

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_7108.JPG

IMG_7109.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Serious talent meets its genuine material...

Edited by LederRudi

"Don't shoot your snake," is just fun to say.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

U should make one that says "don't squat with yer Spurs on"