Tinkerton

Recommendations for dremel burnishers

I may be an outlier, but I burnt out my dremel using a cocobolo burnisher. Granted I was using it for strap work. If your projects are smaller like holsters, wallets etc, you may have better results with longevity. That said I found one on ebay for about $10

I bought a set of the ebay burnishers that go on a dremel.  Half of them unscrewed (threaded wrong direction) and my dremel sounds weaker now.  Might be better off looking a different direction, just my 2 cents.:)

I bought two of the Pro Edge Burnishers for a Dremel. The quality is good. I wish the grooves would have been a little deeper. They work good for small things like wallets. I don't really like them for belts, I can do it quicker by hand. I think for belts a larger one in a drill press or grinder would work much better.

-Adam

I recently had the opportunity to use a dremmel burnisher and did not care for the results at all the surface area on the thing was way too small for my taste and the speeds were all over the place.  That's my opinion. I'm sticking to it..

I cannot find the picture right now, . . . but I made several burnishers that I use with my Dremel.

I took a 1/2 inch dowel rod, . . . drilled a hole in the end of it in the center, . . . forced a finish nail in the hole, . . . cut the head off the nail, . . . put it in the Dremel, . . . took a file or two and shaped the burnisher the way I wanted it.

I would not be without mine, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

I bought a 7 wood burnisher set off Ebay for $7 or so, the order came from China.  The set has various sizes and widths and the shafts are actual screws with a nut to tighten it.  The screw/nut combo seem to work loose with vibration, so I put a drop of thread locker on the nut.  They work fairly decent for the price!   I recommend a multi speed Dremel. As for wearing out your Dremel, the one in my leather shop has been going "bad", for a while but still runs, ithe jus makes a bit of noise.

A member here named slipknot made this one for me to use in my Dremel. 

Works great. Made from 

lignum vitae.  It's hard as woodpecker lips. 

379C3DF3-FA37-4945-8409-EA2899806415-996-0000039BB959AA10.jpeg

9 hours ago, JKHelms said:

A member here named slipknot made this one for me to use in my Dremel. 

Works great. Made from 

lignum vitae.  It's hard as woodpecker lips. 

379C3DF3-FA37-4945-8409-EA2899806415-996-0000039BB959AA10.jpeg

I also have one from Slipknot. He only made a few of them.

If I hadn't had that opportunity, I would have bought one from pro edge burnishers. I have a larger one from pro edge and it is great. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

I am not sure where I saw this video, A guy made one with a nail and a piece of wood.Check you tube. I couldn't believe how easy it looked.He had no other tools, glue and sand paper and a drill.

Jim