Greetings, all! My name is Elizabeth, and I'm a relatively new member, who skipped over this step a few months ago. I have been reading hundreds (thousands?) of forum posts, and analyzing the amazing member creations in the gallery.

I'm a beginning leathercrafter, who has been honing my cutting, burnishing, and handstitching skills with totes, purses, journals, and card holders for a little while. I have a background in textiles, having embroidered and sewn fabric since elementary school, as well as working with yarn, crocheting, knitting, and weaving. In addition to making items, I hand-dye fabrics and yarn, for myself and for sale. I re-discovered leathercraft this last winter, in need of a new hobby as an outlet while I finish my business degree; as an adult full-time student, and a Type-A perfectionist, I needed something to focus my creative energies. Having tired of the horribly low-quality leather items readily available, and the ever- rising prices on the somewhat higher-quality "luxury" leather goods, I hoped to learn to make something in-between.

I first checked out Valerie Michael's The Leatherworking Handbook over and over from the library when it was initially published, wishing and hoping for access to all the specialized equipment described inside; as you all know, all the obscure, specialized equipment I previously could only dream of is now just a few clicks away. 

I have known for months that I wanted an industrial sewing machine. A new machine seemed to be the answer, as very, very few used machines come up for sale on either Craigslist or eBay, anywhere nearby, and I don't own a large vehicle. Having read all the pinned posts, and taught Google to rank leatherworker.net/forum posts high in searches, I narrowed my options... then BANG! Two machines "fell" unceremoniously into my lap, one via Craigslist, and the other on eBay. Thankfully, I am somewhat mechanical, and I have relatives who are fairly well-versed in engineering and electronics. 

So, I am now the proud owner of a Singer 111w155, and the soon-to-be owner of a Consew 226. My understanding is they are the same basic machine; both are currently equipped with clutch motors, soon to be changed out (once I make a few decisions, sigh). I am in the process of cleaning up the Singer, as it was stored for quite some time, and is dirty and gunky. My living room is in the process of becoming studio space, with the addition of the giant tv/ chair-and-a-half, as it makes more sense to have the sewing machines/ cutting table/ weaving loom both spread out and more readily available (and because I can:rolleyes:). 

Anyway, I thank you all for so readily sharing your knowledge/ expertise/ opinions. Without this forum, I don't think I would have dared take such a big plunge into this hobby- I would still be worrying about choosing my first side, let alone getting over making that first cut. 

- Elizabeth

Welcome and congrats on the machines !

Thank you! I'm both excited and anxious, as picking up the Consew will be an adventure (I'm also planning on picking up a rescue dog during the trip, and may be able to visit Toledo Industrial in person). There are so many decisions to make, especially regarding the necessary Servo motors (I've read so very many forum threads and conflicting reviews, I think I'm more confused- manual or digital, brushless, dealer/ manufacturer?!?), plus the re-arrangement of my house, and classes begin anew in a couple weeks.... it'll all work out, eventually. 

Congratulations on the machine buys and don't worry too much about the clutch motors they are not as bad as some make out. I have some with clutch motors and some without and though I do prefer the variostop motors and stepper motor ones I could not be bothered to change the clutch motors ones just for the difference.

Look forward to seeing some of your product efforts and stay true to being an  Type-A perfectionist. Regards Brian

Hi Elizabeth,

Today I'm finishing a rush job that must be done to by 3:00 so I can't talk much. But wanted to let you know I have a Consew 226 and love it. Servo motors ...... yes. Clutch motors .... NO !!!

I'll show you my set up with servo and speed reducer pulley when I have more time. It's dialed in and perfect for leather. My new Pfaff 142-6 twin needle that I just got isn't dialed in because I just bought the wrong servo motor. (don't buy a Consew Preimer 3000, 750 watt) 

Does a Singer 111w155 have reverse? I know the consew  226 does. You want reverse.

jeff

2017-01-21 005.jpg

2017-01-21 030.jpg

IMG_20160409_123951.jpg

Primo,

How the devil did you get away with that much room in a leather shop?  I work out of a horse stall, 10 1/2 by 11 1/2.  Gotta go outside to change my mind.  I'd love to be able to do layout like that!!!

Hello Elizabeth,

Welcome to the forum & the leather sewing business.We also look forward to help you with a servo motor & anything else you might need.We have a lot of machines for you to come down & drool over on our showroom floor.LOL

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Rocky, I am afraid the clutch motors need to go, at least one of them, if I want to make any progress (aside from being noisy, and scaring my dog). The perfectionism is something I work on, as Type As don't tend to live quite as long as they might.... especially since the newest trend in teaching is "group projects". I haven't missed being part of a "group" all summer, and it was the main reason I had to take a few months "off" (to focus, remember how to breathe, and take stock of real-life, without others' constant nonsense). 

Jeff, thank you for your offer, and I look forward to seeing your machine setup. Knowing what combination is working for someone else would be very helpful. I was pretty content with moving my equipment into my living room, with a west-facing window, until I saw your shots, and now I'm wondering where I went wrong in life, lol. Your great room, and those windows/view, are on a whole different level (and your work is quite good, btw). cowboycolonel, I wouldn't feel bad about your space, as many I know must content themselves with their dining room table, between meals, etc. "It's not what you have, it's what you do with it".  

CowboyBob, I can't wait to see your showroom, and I need the "basics", in addition to the Servos. Seeing the machines in your showroom will give me a whole new level of wants/ needs, I am sure. 

Dialing in a machine the way "you" like it.

This is the set up that works best for me ..... on my Consew 226 I have a Consew Premier CSM550-1 (550 watt) servo motor with a speed reducer. The reason this Consew servo motor works so well for me is that I was able to open it up and disable the brake. With the brake disabled (I think I just removed the brake shoe pads, it's been a while) I can start to feather it up to speed so slowly that I can clearly see the thread being pulled or dragged through the the needle. I can also control the speed well enough to take 3 or 4 steps (stitches) forward with "no jump at all" and 3 or 4 back to lock in the start of a seam. I can also slow it down when coming to the end of a seam where I have to put the needle on a specific mark and then carefully/slowly back stitch it again to lock and finish the seam. I usually sew with a bonded nylon and or poly thread T-69 , T-90 and T-138 and 18, 21, or 23 needle for reference but it shouldn't matter what you use. The other thing I love is it has the power to push through a knot of just about any fabric at a dead crawl. Leather or like this last job with ballistic nylon where it's folded over a few times at a seam/corner and you need to sew through as many as 5, 6, 7 or 8 layers. It will slowly drive the needle through it like butter. Reminds me of tiny hydraulic press. No doubt the speed reducer is contributing to the desired slow speed, torque and control. 

Another really nice touch are the 4" casters with brakes that I've put my tables on. I can easily move the machines over to my cutting table (dinning table) if I'm doing a large canvas boat cover for instance so that the table can support the weight of the heavy canvas or roll the machines out on my patio to work outside. It makes the tables much taller than normal but I've found that with my bad eyes it just brings the work up a bit closer to where I can see it. 

The problem I have with this new Consew CSM 3000 (750 watt) that I just bought for my double needle Pfaff 142-6 is that I can't figure out how to disable the brake. So when it starts up it's like it "jumps into motion" all be it to the slowest speed (200-500 spm) rather then the needle slowly starts to move. Same thing with the stop it just comes to s screeching stop instead of letting me slow it down. This CSM 3000 is a newer style of motor (with digital speed control out front on the on/off switch box ... very nice) but does not have the mechanical brake that my older CSM 550-1 has. I've googled "servo motor brakes" a bit and these newer Consew servo motors may have a magnetic brake. I've opened up both ends of the motor and was still unable to figure out how to disable the brake.

If any of you folks out there that know what you're doing and can shed some light on this servo motor brake business I'd like to hear from you. If I can't figure out how to disable the brake and get control of this newer servo I'll have to return or exchange it for the older Consew model or buy a different brand that has much more control over startup speed and stopping. Looks like I'll probably have to pony up the money for a speed reducer pulley as well, something I was hoping wouldn't be necessary this time around.

jeff

20170826_075134.jpg

20170826_072849.jpg

2016-11-13 015.jpg

20170826_073635.jpg

20170826_081922.jpg

20170826_081024.jpg

20170826_073435.jpg

20170824_220749.jpg

2017-06-23 035.jpg

Jeff-

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your setup information. You've given me a lot to consider/ponder; knowing your setup, it helps in the decision process.

The posts on the Servo motors have been very confusing, with many, many people having extremely negative opinions, and writing about poor experiences, with the new, Chinese-made servos, yet others whole-heartedly advise purchasing them. Figuring out the reasons pro/con is making my head explode, especially since choosing a more expensive model doesn't necessarily mean it will prove to be any "better"; your situation is an excellent example of this situation. The CSM 3000 motor that you dislike should be "better"/ new and improved, yet it's not allowing you to sew properly. Many don't seem to like the digital controllers, either, but I'm not really seeing any models with increased power (oomph) which include the dial format; and the alternative manufacturers/models from Japan/Germany are extremely expensive and have limited models in the $300-500 range (and ordering from overseas seems like it could be a disaster, in terms of waiting for shipping, and a lack of service if/when problems arise). I don't have a supplier, or a repair service for industrial machines, anywhere nearby (and in the past, didn't had the best luck with a local, "reputable", repair service and a domestic machine, it was as bad an experience as with a shady auto repair). 

Armed with this info, I look forward to getting to Bob's next week, after which I can get going (or tangle a lot of thread....).

- Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

After contacting the Amazon seller "Zero Express" for a return authorization for the Consew 3000 (they email authorization and if you ask a free UPS shipping label) I sat down at my computer last night and ordered a new servo motor AND bit the bullet and ordered a $$$ speed reducer pulley. I bought the old style Consew Premier 550-1 with the finger dial on the body where you have to reach under the table to adjust speed. The cheapest SRP I could find was on Ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/302295377518?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=302295377518&rmvSB=true

It was $169.28  with California tax and free shipping !! The servo motor was only $105 with no tax and free shipping. I can't believe the Chinese or the US sewing machine import merchants can't flood the US with speed reducer pulleys on the cheep.

So now I wait a week. I'll need to figure out what size my second belt will be and get that ordered. I have to drive an hour into the garment district in Los Angeles to buy these things but after the gas and $12 for parking it's usually cheaper to buy on Amazon.

As for finding a reputable service guy. Don't waste your time or money. You need to learn to be your own "go to guy". I did. I fix my own machines now .... all of them. I've restored 4.5 domestic vintage machines (sold two and made money) and I fixed/replaced the "tension release slide arm" on my Consew 226. When I bought the 226 it was my 1st industrial machine and the seller/repair guy said it was in great shape and that he'd had gone through and fixed any and all issues and it would last me forever. I paid $730, it came with a Consew 550-1 watt servo and a clean, decent but not new table. (No locking caster wheels) 

When I realized the thread tension wasn't releasing when I lifted the presser foot I went on-line to see what was up. And lucky for me and you there was this guy "Uwe Groose " who makes the very best "how to fix your industrial sewing machine" videos in the world. His videos are so well done it made the repair look "doable ".... and it was. It is extremely satisfying to do your own repair work. When you do your own repair you know "what was really done" you know "what it really cost" AND "how your machine works". Others that helped with that repair was Gregg O'Neil at KeyStone Sewing Machines http://www.keysew.com/ who got me a Japanese made part after I bought a Chinese made replacement part that was junk. Constabulary and Wizcrafts are two more forum members that know their stuff and were willing to help. There are a lot of very experienced members on the Leatherworker.net forum and they've all been very willing to help "us" less experienced figure it all out so ..... ask your questions and learn to do it yourself.  Tip number 1:  Take a ton of pictures as you dismantle a machine to make a repair.

enjoy your new machines. 

2016-05-09_16-05-25.jpg

08-28-2017 9-18-49 AM.jpg

010-cropped-1.jpg

2016-05-09_20-53-20.jpg

You are my new 3rd-best-friend (I promise this is a compliment, lol, after my dog, and my human best friend). Having read- and re-read your previous machine post, together with several members' ongoing, unequivocal recommendation of the dial-type Servos, that was the route I was leaning toward; this post just nudged me over the edge. As I will have 2 machines, I will start with the basic Servo, and probably order a second, rather than opt for an iffy "upgrade" at 2+ times the $$$ (there's the promise of a third vintage machine, I swear this is crazy, but I won't "look a gift horse in the mouth", not after turning up little to nothing at lower price points for months). Thankfully, my brother in law sells/creates/installs custom production line set-up, so there is the promise of pulley systems of any size/ configuration. You are right in that the Chinese systems could definitely be more readily available, at far better prices.  

Definitely plan to work on my own machines, more so than I already am. I am big on "do-it-yourself", grew up with the example if you don't know how to do something, you research/read/learn, and DO IT. Like I said, one bad experience with someone who charged for messing my machine up worse = never again (turned out was a design issue, and nothing I could have done, and had tried, helped). The amount if information offered by this site is incredible; once I am an "adult" again, not facing endless student expenses, I'll be able to give back in turn (I hope). Knowing there is assistance if I get stuck is enormously helpful. 

I'll post updates as they occur. THANK YOU, again.

- Elizabeth