I have been reading much on treating leather with neats foot oil, mink oil, resoline, bees was and such.

All I know is what I watch for free on Tandy's web site.

I've searched here and online for finishing instructions, with very little luck.

Does anyone know where I can get some Free finishing literature? (please post link)

I did a sheath for my son, used water and a wood form and finished it with Super Shene.

Got some neats foot oil at the local Home and Farm store, but it turned the leather real dark under the shene on the front from treating the back.

I have some patches I did for a friend using Cova Colors and you can hardly see the colors now that it turned dark on the front from treating the back.

I am so confused on where to go from here I'm afraid to finishing anything now, it's unreal.

I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction I can learn something useful...Like what to use and when to get the results I need.

Leather finishing confusion is not an elite club my friend so rest well knowing that it has stumped, is currently stumping, or will be stumping more of us in the future.

Youtube has a looooooot of finishing videos. The Tandy vids are ok but they are also marketing tools as well so take that with a grain of salt. There are some really good videos out there though so search on things like "leather dyeing techniques" "leather resist" and things like that. 

I wish you luck sir!

36 minutes ago, WoodysWorkshop said:

I have been reading much on treating leather with neats foot oil, mink oil, resoline, bees was and such.

All I know is what I watch for free on Tandy's web site.

I've searched here and online for finishing instructions, with very little luck.

Does anyone know where I can get some Free finishing literature? (please post link)

I did a sheath for my son, used water and a wood form and finished it with Super Shene.

Got some neats foot oil at the local Home and Farm store, but it turned the leather real dark under the shene on the front from treating the back.

I have some patches I did for a friend using Cova Colors and you can hardly see the colors now that it turned dark on the front from treating the back.

I am so confused on where to go from here I'm afraid to finishing anything now, it's unreal.

I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction I can learn something useful...Like what to use and when to get the results I need.

patience together with reading this forum.. and watching videos - leather finishing

p.s
oiling always darkens a leather.

Edited by nrk
miswording

Dont put on the "rough" side of leather. Use a little not a lot it will make the leather soggy and soft. When you put it on set it aside for a day or two and let it "soak in and level out". Once again a little goes a long way. And ifyou put on leather and leave in the sunlight it will be just like putting Hawaiian Tropic on your hide and sitting on the beach.lol

I try to dye my stuff lighter than I want it. Wait at least a day. Then a very light coat of neatsfoot oil. This will hopefully get the color I want. Then I finish with Aussie.

Every piece of leather is different and that includes cuts from the same hide.

I think you pretty much have to be the leather equivalent of an alchemist to achieve perfection. 

I have achieved no perfection yet.

Just now, bikermutt07 said:

I try to dye my stuff lighter than I want it. Wait at least a day. Then a very light coat of neatsfoot oil. This will hopefully get the color I want. Then I finish with Aussie.

Every piece of leather is different and that includes cuts from the same hide.

I think you pretty much have to be the leather equivalent of an alchemist to achieve perfection. 

I have achieved no perfection yet.

Preach Brother!lol I does get frustrating when one project turns out the way you wanted and the next one isnt even the same color!

What all of the previous posters said.
There is a TON of information on this subject here.  Not sure why you didn;t find much. 
What you will find is there are a number of ways to finish.  You should try several on test pieces and use whichever one suits you best.
Personally, I almost never use NFO. Maybe I should but I go a different route.
I case and do my impressions/stamping. Then I apply resist if needed.  Then I dye.  Next I apply Leather Balm with Atom Wax.  Followed by Antiquing gel if needed.  Finally, a coat or 2 of Resolene or Acrylic Floor Wax, diluted 50/50 with water.
Works for me. 

As Mattsbagger said, do not apply to the flesh side of the leather as it will create some issues.  When using Neatsfoot Oil you need to make sure that it is the Pure version and not one of the compounds that are out there as they are much darker than just pure oil.  Apply lightly and let it set for a day or two and repeat if necessary.  There is plenty of good information contained within these forums, all you have to do is search for it.  You would actually be better off if you didn't put much value into the information obtained from Tandy as it isn't overly explanatory and leaves many newcomers making mistakes that could have been avoided if provided with quality and clear information.  And the most important thing when it comes to final conditioning and sealing:  all products do not play well with everyone else!  In other words: you have to find out what is compatible with the materials that you plan on using and make sure that you only use those that will work with your intended direction; none of these are all encompassing so you will either have to get used to just a few items on hand which will limit what your overall direction is or get used to having a bit of everything laying around so you have flexibility.  That is the way it is, it always has been, and it always will be.