SouthernCross

Most popular gun and holster?

So, if I want to get really good at holster making, well, I've got to start making holsters.:rolleyes:  I want to start by making some holsters and trying to sell them on a couple of gun forums that I'm a member of.  What gun(s) do you guys build the most holsters for?  If I've got to buy a blue gun or two I may as well get some of the most popular ones....probably no need to get something obscure and obsolete.  I'm thinking 1911, Glock 19 or 26, and S&W J-frame snubby.

Also, what style holster is your most popular?  I personally like avenger-style holsters, but I believe I'm in the minority and most folks want IWB holsters these days.  That's just my perception, though.  What do you guys sell the most of.

Edited by SouthernCross

My most popular one is the G19, followed by the 1911, and the hammerless SW J frame. Starting the get the G42 and42 lately.

Both IWB pouches and OWB pancakes.

Edited by TacticallySharp

I don't know where you are, but here in Georgia, folks like to hunt hogs with their pistols. Usually a Ruger SBH with a scope. Second most requested for me, is for a S.A. .45. I have done both Western Full Skirt and regular Belt versions for the .45.

Glock 19 and 1911, which both can come with or without a luggage rack. Keep that in mind. The rail will affect the fit of the holster. One without a rail will likely fit a holster made for a rail, but not the other way around.

I have a 19 I can use for a mold, but it's a gen 2, no rail. My 1911 also doesn't have a rail, so again, somewhat limiting. It's also a Commander length slide. I guess I need to buy more Glocks and 1911s...

I already have a hammerless J-frame 642, so maybe I'll start with that.  I also have a Single Six that I've made a shoulder holster for - maybe I can fancy it up a bit and capitalize on that. 

There are SO many guns and SO many combinations of holsters available that it would almost seem like one would have to specialize in a limited few or else go broke buying blue guns and trying to accommodate all the possible combinations.

I'm not sure if this happens to others but I find that I tend to build holsters for guns in phases. It also applies to tooling and colors. My guess is that it's because that's what people see and then they want something similar. For instance, you built a black 1911 holster and it gets shown on a 1911 forum then you get a bunch of orders for black 1911 holsters. Build a Hi Power holster and then you have a run of them for a while, and so forth. 

Mostly I get orders for 1911's, Glock 17's and 19's and SAA western rigs. I haven't had any orders for 1911's with a rail and I don't mind using a longer gun/mold to make a holster for a shorter version of the same gun. That being the case, if I was just getting started I'd get a 5" 1911 mold, a G17 mold and I'be get an Uberti SAA clone or newer model Ruger Vaquero. Sure, you could get a mold for the SAA, but why not just have one instead :)!

That's my 2 cents.

All the best,

Josh

"So many guns". You aren't kidding. That is why I prefer working with local folks. I use their pistol to make the patter and get measurements, and even mold with. I cut them a deal on the price, because I don't have to buy the mold.

@Josh Ashman- I had a request to do a holster for a 1911 w/rail not long ago. I have the mold with the same BBL, but no rail. To make it more interesting, it was also my first Mexican Loop holster. I used my  mold to do the pattern, and had to have the customer bring in his pistol for a test fit before sewing it up. I ended up having to add a welt, but it did work out.

Just now, CaptQuirk said:

@Josh Ashman- I had a request to do a holster for a 1911 w/rail not long ago. I have the mold with the same BBL, but no rail. To make it more interesting, it was also my first Mexican Loop holster. I used my  mold to do the pattern, and had to have the customer bring in his pistol for a test fit before sewing it up. I ended up having to add a welt, but it did work out.

Nice! Good job working around an issue! 

@Josh Ashman- Working around issues is a daily operating procedure ;)

I get more Glock 42 and 43 than anything else.  

The Taurus .38s have a $40 Mail in rebate and are going on sale in most shops.  I've had several inquiries, but no customers. 

On 9/13/2017 at 8:06 AM, Josh Ashman said:

I'm not sure if this happens to others but I find that I tend to build holsters for guns in phases. It also applies to tooling and colors. My guess is that it's because that's what people see and then they want something similar. For instance, you built a black 1911 holster and it gets shown on a 1911 forum then you get a bunch of orders for black 1911 holsters. Build a Hi Power holster and then you have a run of them for a while, and so forth.

Agreed. For me, things definitely come in waves. I can go a year without touching a particular mold, and then suddenly I get a handful of orders for it.

It's really hard to predict what will be popular as a holster maker. Even though some guns are indisputably popular, in my experience, that doesn't mean holsters for those guns will be in high demand. Early on, I bought a S&W J-frame mold, and it was almost 2 years before I got an order for a J-frame holster. I've used it a lot since, thankfully, but it continues to be sporadic. It's like that for a lot of really popular guns, like the Glock 19/23, CZ-75, and S&W M&P varieties.

For me, the only ones that get near-constant use are the 1911 and the Hi Power. I know the Hi Power isn't popular for everybody... In my case, I think that's because I'm a Hi Power fanatic, and tend to hang out on a lot of Hi Power groups online. If I were to claim to have a specialty, I suppose the Hi Power would probably be it.

Wes

17 hours ago, BHPshooter said:

If I were to claim to have a specialty, I suppose the Hi Power would probably be it.

Wes

That's a good one to specialize in!  

On 9/19/2017 at 2:23 PM, BHPshooter said:

If I were to claim to have a specialty, I suppose the Hi Power would probably be it.

Hmmm, BHPshooter...wouldn't have guess that. I'm still looking forward to shooting one someday. I would think it would somewhat like a 1911, but with even more cachet!

1 hour ago, SouthernCross said:

"If" it had a grip safety, that is.

AND, . . . if it was .45 caliber..........:rolleyes2:

Actually just kidding the BHP is a fine piece of firearm technology, . . . I respect it, . . . but it just is not my cup of tea.

We had a Bos'n Mate in Vietnam, . . . carried one on the PBR boats, . . . I never saw it go, . . . but his brag was that it had a "go fast" switch which turned it into a machine pistol.

That was the first one I ever saw.  

I actually prefer making holsters for the  1911, . . . to me they always look "like a holster should look", . . . and sometimes I just cannot get that "look" that I personally want from my work, . . . on some of these new plastic fantastic firearms.  

The next one is the Colt Detective Special, . . . and other small revolvers about that size, . . . they come out good for me, . . . I enjoy making them as well.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, alpha2 said:

Hmmm, BHPshooter...wouldn't have guess that. I'm still looking forward to shooting one someday. I would think it would somewhat like a 1911, but with even more cachet!

Yeah, I know... Subtle, aren't I? :lol:

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:34 AM, Josh Ashman said:

That's a good one to specialize in!  

Might as well follow my obsession, I guess. :)

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but for whatever reason, it fits my hand better than anything else. 

Anyway, to steer back on topic, I think it's better to see which way the local wind is blowing before you blow a lot of money on molds that you think might be popular.

Southern Cross, if you have a particular favorite gun, focus on that while you hammer out the fundamentals. If you're already a fan of Gun X, you probably have some experience using and carrying it, which is helpful when you're testing and evaluating your designs. 

Wes

Looks like I'll be working on holsters for J-frame snubbies then.  

Most of my other favorite guns are older and not very popular with today's crowd, though - such as Sig P232, S&W 3913, etc..

Since I've started keeping records of such things...

-- I've made about 75 holsters for the 1911and its variants

-- 60 holsters for the Sig P938.

-- I've made 34 holsters for the G-19

-- 21 for the G-17

-- 17 for the G-43

-- 15 for the P226/220

-- 14  for the G-42

-- 12 for J-frames ( I think it should be more but my records say not)

Thanks malabar.

Looks like a good excuse for me to go buy me a 1911. ;-)

Edited by SouthernCross

I just did a second holster for the Ruger LCR38. Nice little revolver. If I continue to get orders for them, I might just have to buy one... you see, the pawn shop has been letting me use one of theirs for a mold.

18 minutes ago, CaptQuirk said:

I just did a second holster for the Ruger LCR38. Nice little revolver. If I continue to get orders for them, I might just have to buy one... you see, the pawn shop has been letting me use one of theirs for a mold.

Ahhh, the ever damning "test drive". 

Edited by bikermutt07