I have been tasked to make a battery bag it's used for hunting I have never done any bags of any kind just dog collars and so on so I am a bit stuck at the moment hears what I have so far but was thinking of changing it all up and putting in a gusset I no there are more experienced guys than me on hear and would like a little help if you can post a few pics and ideas up I would be very grateful thank kevIMG_20171012_22931.jpg.e0fa542dff96f14df111690bb0cc8d6b.jpgIMG_20171012_12146.jpg.3db4018f3577ecc36979260dc20fbf68.jpgIMG_20171012_4998.jpg.8066c6ace469b8191df9832bf0f0088c.jpg

I think gusset is the way to go to finish that pouch. The other option is wet molding the front around the battery. You'd need to make a mold/form of the battery though. A gusset isn't anything more than a strip of leather haha. 

Wet molding around something that needs bag to protect it from the elements might not be such a good idea..shorting what might be a lithium pack can be spectacular, and very hard to extinguish. "samsung galaxy note 7 syndrome"

When I've "wet-molded" leather around sensitive materials (like cell phones and guns), I've put them in ziplock bags first. Haven't had a problem, but I'm not making any guarantees, either.

I think wet mould is out as I only use bridle leather for my work so looks like the gusset is the way forward 

Edited by the gafer

I don't know if this will help you, but I did a cell phone pouch to sit on the front of my belt. I used chicago screws. way easier than stitching.  9 oz or thicker leather. lots of grooving/skiving  on the flesh side... 

resized 1.jpg

resized 3.jpg

resized 2.jpg

resized 4.jpg

Gusset way it is guys any tips on how to do it right

I did say to make a form if wet molding for the purpose of not getting the battery wet, but bridle doesn't wet form very well.

All you do with a gusset is measure how long it needs to be. Cut a strip of leather a little longer than that (to protect against it being too short) and to the width you want, and clip or glue it down to the sides making sure the edges are flush. then stitch. Trim off the excess at the top and there you go lol. 

How about a two piece pouch? I made this for a tool bag - back piece folds up to form the base and there's no complicated gusset stitching in what looks like a small item, you could always re-enforce the back for belt attachments.

ToolBagSideLow.jpg.8583c87250037d7fe89b0792524428cb.jpg

Just a suggestion :-)

Harv

ToolBagLow.jpg

Edited by dGinLeatherCraft

On 12/10/2017 at 9:17 PM, Stetson912 said:

All you do with a gusset is measure how long it needs to be. Cut a strip of leather a little longer than that (to protect against it being too short) and to the width you want, and clip or glue it down to the sides making sure the edges are flush. then stitch. Trim off the excess at the top and there you go lol. 

and skive the long edges and one end of the gusset piece and the corresponding length of the main piece. Make the bottom corners rounded, not too much, just a bit to ease the the front/bottom/back piece around without any tight corners

I like to make my gussets longer than needed, then skive and fold over the top end; give a neat finish

Thanks @fredk. I forgot to mention skiving. 

Made a start on it today IMG_20171016_18554.jpg.d4748189444c2be41cd235e076549648.jpgIMG_20171016_26706.jpg.a8338c87890dc9a77bf1928c561e5e2e.jpg

Awesome. Here do you get your bridle?

There is a few places hear in UK that sell it

Have any of you guys put a zipper in a gusset my missus wants a bag but doesn't want the flap just a zip

Take a look at this Video by ian Atkinson about putting in zips.

bill

This is the bag I will be making for herIMG_20171017_9617.jpg.fa060905a79c6f7ca2c205d4aa3cdb58.jpgIMG_20171017_59885.jpg.10f657d41f9b892804c2a5c0f35fd087.jpg

If the scribed lines are your fold lines- I GUARANTEE that the pouch is going to be way too small.

You need to consider the thickness of the leather and allow for it when marking your folds. Make the fold lines/cuts outside of the actual width of the piece by the thickness of the leather. 1/8 leather- the fold is 1/8 outside of the actual edge. You LOOK as though you are measuring the leather to actually fold up at the edge of the box.

On 10/17/2017 at 6:42 AM, billybopp said:

Take a look at this Video by ian Atkinson about putting in zips.

bill

Mind if I jump in here and ask a question. I didn't see it addressed in the video.

Do you punch the stitch holes through the cloth zipper lining edge(or use the stitching awl to pierce) after gluing it to leather, or do you punch the stitch holes in the leather first and just let the needle be the only thing that pierces the zipper material?

Zip material is pretty sturdy.   I use the awl.

Bill

Likewise, I glue the zip to the leather, then use my stitching irons to punch the holes through both leather and cloth zipper tape. On a similar style bag, I skived the long edge and folded under for a clean finish and some extra firmness along the zipper.

896BAD30-21C6-4FDE-AFF2-49B06E8D10B2.jpeg

On 19/10/2017 at 10:46 PM, pete said:

If the scribed lines are your fold lines- I GUARANTEE that the pouch is going to be way too small.

You need to consider the thickness of the leather and allow for it when marking your folds. Make the fold lines/cuts outside of the actual width of the piece by the thickness of the leather. 1/8 leather- the fold is 1/8 outside of the actual edge. You LOOK as though you are measuring the leather to actually fold up at the edge of the box.

I changed the design of the bag and made it bigger in the 1st picks it was going to be folded but now it will be a gusset