Help! I have 3 tubs total of scrap leather I have accumulated over time. 1 tub oil tan, 1 tub veg, and 1 tub chrome tanned. I have drawn a blank on what to do with it, I don't like the idea of throwing any away if I don't have too. I just need ideas on simple easy projects that don't require much time that way I can continue with my normal day to day. Key fobs are the only thing I can think of right now, but it gets boring doing just those!

The pieces range from the size of a standard rounded key fob, to a large journal. any advice would be appreciated :) in fact any projects are welcomed easy or hard, because I hope this post might help others who are in the same boat :)

1 hour ago, ByNelson said:

Make a leather quilt... or whatever the blanket is called :) 

I do a lot of med. to heavy weight projects, that would make a pretty heavy quilt:) if I had more garment grade that sounds pretty cool :) Thank you

I have a very nice leather 'rug' made out of leather squares about 100mm a side sewn onto a backing or howasbout some patchwork place mats, trivets & coasters.

When you say journal size is that big enough to do a mouse mat ?

Heavy weight leather, perhaps some small boxes.

7 minutes ago, mdawson said:

I have a very nice leather 'rug' made out of leather squares about 100mm a side sewn onto a backing or howasbout some patchwork place mats, trivets & coasters.

When you say journal size is that big enough to do a mouse mat ?

Heavy weight leather, perhaps some small boxes.

never thought about that! :) I was thinking mouse pads, but most want to have them tooled and I'm limited on time, between my own products and custom work. I do like the other ideas though, thank you :) 

I once made a set of small napkin rings on out scrap leather.

Black River laser has some nice templates for guitar pick key chains.

Some one here was making key chain I phone stands too. It was really simple, but cool.

2 hours ago, ByNelson said:

I also use my scraps to make candle holders :) 

D5B447E2-8ECD-4998-B9D6-D42C6DB30FD6.jpeg

Do they stand well?

leather armor ;)
you can do a lot of that ))

15 hours ago, DarkGoku said:

Help! I have 3 tubs total of scrap leather I have accumulated over time. 1 tub oil tan, 1 tub veg, and 1 tub chrome tanned. I have drawn a blank on what to do with it, I don't like the idea of throwing any away if I don't have too. I just need ideas on simple easy projects that don't require much time that way I can continue with my normal day to day. Key fobs are the only thing I can think of right now, but it gets boring doing just those!

The pieces range from the size of a standard rounded key fob, to a large journal. any advice would be appreciated :) in fact any projects are welcomed easy or hard, because I hope this post might help others who are in the same boat :)

Small coin purses sell very well especially with a little exotic skin thrown in or on. Check my you tube for a little of the idea.

DSC01135.JPG

I'd keep the larger pieces for journals and the like if you can. 

But smaller pieces you could make needle cases, coasters, any number of keychains(you can stamp initials in it too if you have alphabet stamps), coin purses, mutt mentioned the phone stand keychain(there's a pattern for it on here somewhere), I've seen cat toys made too (little pouch to put some cat nip in and a long tail) zipper pulls and purse dangles, small bags or pouches with fringe, inlay/overlay work, card wallets(very minimalist), braided items if you can cut lace, bracelets and cuffs (mystery braid), headphone wraps, leather conchos and buttons, lace for bleed knots...

That's all I got at the moment haha

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:08 PM, ByNelson said:

I also use my scraps to make candle holders :) 

D5B447E2-8ECD-4998-B9D6-D42C6DB30FD6.jpeg

Those look really cool, never thought about candle holders:)

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, Bob Blea said:

I once made a set of small napkin rings on out scrap leather.

That is a great idea:)

These are all great ideas, and now I have something to look forward too when my table opens up:) Thank you all :)

I say armor as well. Make some scaled armor. The LARPers and RenFaire crowd will eat that stuff up.

Search on Pinterest, lots of ideas there. I used some of my scraps on knives I got at an auction that only had a handle insert on one side, customized with a name. Takes little time and a little epoxy.

Rings are something else I'm going to look into doing. Change purses, wrist straps, maybe knife handle wraps on fixed blades. Sheaths for folding lockbacks. Cell phone cases, Ipad and other tech device cases.

I carry a little note pad in my pocket everywhere I go, I thought about making a leather cover for it to keep the pages from curling. Wallets, coasters, even fanny packs.

journal covers (including small field notes sized covers; look up the Midori Travelers Notebook), pen slips, bookmarks

small draw string pouches (for the lighter weight stuff)

Luggage tags, ID badge holders

Wrapping tool handles (I like to do that to some of my larger punches for more grip) You can also make a wrap for just below the heads of axes & hammers for those missed hits that like to beat up the wooden handles.

Awesome ideas everyone, I started using it during my free time and made a few things. :) you guys have been a big help thank you:rockon: