Mjolnir

Clam, on the half shell.

11 minutes ago, thefanninator said:

YinTx had a lot of good points there. Something catching my thread while stitching is about the most annoying thing on the planet. Or the object you're stitching moves or falls out of the clam because it's not tight enough.

I agree. I've sanded down the points on the Klingon. Tight isn't a problem when you glue and screw these things together. A Hinge is the scary part.

18 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

And now a story on redneck ingenuity....

I like it, simple, repurposed, easily repeatable, earth friendly...cute? lol.

Can I steal your idea?

funny that I'm the only non redneck in town! I don't own a single camouflaged piece of clothing. this is a funny idea, but it may have actual merit for someone making small leather goods. this idea is copyright every half penny earned must go to the family of the inventor of the fork.

here I was about to make a joke about a crab (Fork) clam. and these little beauties popped up. There are potential leather tools everywhere!

41u-vaOxynL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg

Edited by Mjolnir
add

Ok, this is the closest thing I've found.  Apparently they are called loop clams, they fit inside your regular saddler's clam.  I know there are better photos out there, but they are eluding me just now.  If anyone else has a pair or remembers the thread, help a guy out, lol.

LoopClamp.thumb.jpg.204b1dba9c2e23fa621acdae61e7ccb7.jpg

YinTx

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

Ok, this is the closest thing I've found.  Apparently they are called loop clams, they fit inside your regular saddler's clam.  I know there are better photos out there, but they are eluding me just now.  If anyone else has a pair or remembers the thread, help a guy out, lol.

LoopClamp.thumb.jpg.204b1dba9c2e23fa621acdae61e7ccb7.jpg

YinTx

If I only had my bandsaw up and running. This looks very easy to make.

The other one I saw was metal, and smaller.  Doesn't look complicated, then again neither does the regular stitching clam.

YinTx

Wow!  I'm pretty sure I need one of those!  Sewing chaps is awkward and sometimes downright hard to get a good reach in a lot of places.  Here's my current set-up... :wacko:

IMG_0144.thumb.JPG.ea6e5ff293145cf466b3becb066717da.JPG

I think I remember seeing the loop clam on either a post here by Gmace99, or on one of his uksaddlery youtube videos.   But I could be wrong since as you get older the second thing to go is memory.

Bill

5 hours ago, billybopp said:

I think I remember seeing the loop clam on either a post here by Gmace99, or on one of his uksaddlery youtube videos.   But I could be wrong since as you get older the second thing to go is memory.

Bill

UKsaddlery does have it on one of his videos.

Abbey England have both the wooden and metal versions for sale.

img_0554%20steel%20loop%20clamp!.jpg

12 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

UKsaddlery does have it on one of his videos.

Abbey England have both the wooden and metal versions for sale.

img_0554%20steel%20loop%20clamp!.jpg

does that pinch together or hold apart. looks like hold apart. I'm half done making one to see.

42 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

does that pinch together or hold apart. looks like hold apart. I'm half done making one to see.

You don’t hang around....

this is the video of the small clam in use. Speed up to 28:11

he's using a stirrup to clench the clam. Cool add-on!

5 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

I know... I’ve watched all of his videos. He is pretty rough and ready when showing his way of leather working but he’s very knowledgeable. He’s also on this forum as Gmace99.

8 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

One of the best tips he gave me is using bees wax to help pull the needle through leather when it’s sticking.

11 hours ago, MillieB said:

Here's my current set-up.

Hahaha, that is awesome.  I always end up snagging some unsuspecting passerby and ask them to "kindly hold this for a second while I do something" then proceed to stitch for 30 minutes or as long as the arm strength and willpower of said passerby lasts.

And thanks to the rest of you for finally coming to my rescue.  Those are the lil contraptions I was looking for.

YinTx

I was asked about a few details on the wood and I realized I should share this technique. I might have posted it on another thread. But here is how to bend you a clam today for the price of the wood.

Rule 1. Use a hardwood. I tried poplar 1st for the price and it folds. Pine is said to not hold a bend very well.

My only other choice at my local lowes was red oak in their craftwood. I went with 4' x 6" x 1/2". fifteen bucks. I cut it in half, hence the half clam. the leg on of these just didn't seem necessary to me. ( my idea for a cheap extendable leg. is drill a hole in the bottom. cut off a hiking pole from Walmart and glue it in!)

Using an $8 stockpot from Walmart I boiled the 2' pieces of oak, 1' or half at a time for two separate bends.

Boil for a half hour. work quickly to bend it. Be firm. Once the wood is cooled to room temp it will keep the form. I left longer till it was almost dry.

heres my setup for bending with stuff I had. Everything was eyeballed and guestimated. I have a strong art back ground so this is easy for me. I suggest visualizing a spot on the wall so all of your bends match and pay attention to putting your wood the same distance under your block or whatever you use.

The rest was shaping with a sander. I had my first one bent the day I went to lowes for the wood. After seeing a guy on you tube in England boil some wood.

ratchet straps in the photo. a dowel to keep even pressure. with out the dowel it warps the wood. PS I bent the bottom of the clam first before doing the big bend of the mouth.

20171209_181518_resized_1.jpg

Thanks for posting your set up love how you use what you have to not make it overly expensive.  I have done wood bending in wood shop years ago, I planned on making a clam but with thin pieces and laminating them together in a fixture. Just haven't gotten around to it. Everything I want to do ends up turning into a hobby.

On 12/28/2017 at 5:52 PM, Mjolnir said:

Here is a good tightening system you could make for your clam and gets clamped into a panavise I bought one of these vices from ebay for really cheap.  They swivel any direction you want them to.

_Valet_Nathalie_02-1.jpg

4 minutes ago, AdamPCain said:

Here is a good tightening system you could make for your clam and gets clamped into a panavise I bought one of these vices from ebay for really cheap.  They swivel any direction you want them to.

_Valet_Nathalie_02-1.jpg

I spent a week looking for this and you have one. I bought a cheap crappy version of that clamp! LOL! :) Been researching compound bows to learn resin impregnating wood.  please tell me what the hardware in the 'tightening system' is. I'm pretty sure its a leverage lock. It slides up to lock? (If it doesn't then I have a patent.) my ideas for a working model are Neanderthal compared to that.

33 minutes ago, AdamPCain said:

_Valet_Nathalie_02-1.jpg

Exactly what I want for a bench mounted stitching clam. This is a Moreau Clam. Do you own one? I tried to order one but he retired due to health problems.

BenchmountClam.jpg

Edited by thefanninator
added photo

6 minutes ago, thefanninator said:

Exactly what I want for a bench mounted stitching clam. This is a Moreau Clam. Do you own one? I tried to order one but he retired due to health problems.

BenchmountClam.jpg

Panavise. thank you!

20 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

Panavise. thank you!

This isn't my design but the guy who designed it sent me all the pictures and drawings I am sure you heard of him he is no longer making these do to his health.  I have no idea what I did with the drawings I will have to look for them.The clamping system is all custom machined you can pretty much make one from threaded rod and some bolts and washers. So it pivots when you tighten it look in the hardware isle and look at furniture hardware I am sure you could find something you seem very mechanically inclined.  

It is a Moreau clamp no I do not own one but have talked to him a bunch I am a Tool maker by trade and he sent me all his plans. I was in the process of trying to help him find a way to still manufacture these were he could still sell them.  He is the nicest guy ever it is hard to get a hold of him he has very limited access to the internet.

21 minutes ago, AdamPCain said:

It is a Moreau clamp no I do not own one but have talked to him a bunch I am a Tool maker by trade and he sent me all his plans. I was in the process of trying to help him find a way to still manufacture these were he could still sell them.  He is the nicest guy ever it is hard to get a hold of him he has very limited access to the internet.

22 minutes ago, AdamPCain said:

I've seen the site, and all I can find. Yet pics keep showing up here that I haven't seen! I would move to france to work in this shop.

His site is down now.

Here's a few more pics he sent me.

Clamp1.jpg

Clamp2.jpg

Been following this thread and just looked up Fred Moreau..He lives about a hours drive from me ( unless he has moved ) ..I'll give him a call ( won't call now as it it near 19.00 hrs Sat evening here and for French the weekend before the new year is sacred, reserved for family and friends, would not want to disturb the man ) next week and see if he is OK for a visit..

Wayback machine has his site as last on line in sept of 2017..

Adam..can you drop me a pm..

Edited by mikesc