At the bottom of the card slots. The card slots fold up and then stitch. So, the radius at the bottom is actually 2 back to back cuts. Little bitty ¼ circle cuts.

I'll get you a pic of the pattern.

Ok, I think I understand- the cuts allow you to fold the end of the wallet up to allow it to lay flat for stitching.  Otherwise there would be a lump at the bottom edge of the wallet on the card slots side.

I am thinking of getting a head knife or round knife in the near future. Which one did you buy, and what were your reasons for picking that particular one?

As I'm female, with a small hand, I'm thinking the Texas Rosebud might be a good choice, but would like to know the pros and cons behind different knives.

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I am thinking of getting a head knife or round knife in the near future. Which one did you buy, and what were your reasons for picking that particular one?

As I'm female, with a small hand, I'm thinking the Texas Rosebud might be a good choice, but would like to know the pros and cons behind different knives.

Sheila the French model from Terry Knipschield is a smaller headknife (about 4" across the tips).  I chose this model because it has two different cutting styles incorporated into the blade. The regular side is for wide sweeping or straight cuts. The cut back end of the blade is great for tight outside radii. By dropping the  back of the handle down I have gotten as small as ½inch full radius 180 degree turn. 

Think of a round end on a small strap.

It won't cut everything which is why I eventually got the curved detail knife. I have no doubt that it could make that same cut mentioned above. So, it with the rosebud would be a good combination.

The straight trim knife I have was bought only because I had the opportunity to add it to my tiny collection without the wait. A forum member here had it up for sale.

A little more to know about Knipschield Knives.

Terry will absolutely not take your money until your knife is ready to ship. I haven't experienced not having the money ready for payment at the time of completion.

I imagine he has people lined up to buy your knife if you don't.

He has many styles to offer that are not on his website. He has no time to update it. I know of at least 2 models not on his website.

You maybe best served to call him for a consultation on your needs, but please don't waste his time. He is really busy making knives for good boys and girls.

And if I haven't said this, I am in no way affiliated with Knipknives. I am just an overly satisfied patient customer.

Good Luck, Terry.

One thing I wanted to know is what's the difference between a head knife and a round knife?  What's best for what task?

Terry, I have a detail knife. It's one with a disposable blade, and I don't use it often enough to want to splurge on a really expensive one. Like someone said recently, even the disposable/snap off blades can do a good job if you look after them, and strop them!

I suppose you could even sharpen them, if you wanted to. 

Sheila, a round knife is design based from a half circle. Traditionally, a head knife is based off a half oval. 

Lots of head knives today only loosely use the traditional basis. Most are a custom shape that the maker says is a headknife. 

You can pretty much use either term. It's not like talking to an old stubborn carpenter who wants to explain to everyone the difference between level and plumb.

Oh, and my name is Matt. Terry is Mr. Knipschield of Knipknives.

Cheers.

Don't know how I missed this thread. I placed an order Dec 12 for a skiving knife. 

On 12/9/2017 at 2:38 PM, bikermutt07 said:

KIMG0038-1170x2080.thumb.JPG.4158fed14f55e99fe1c45778230cec21.JPG

My collection is now complete (as far as I'm concerned for now). I started with the French style head knife over a year ago. Then a forum member sold me the long knife. Now I finally have the curved detail knife.

Man what a cutter. Terry Knipschield, if you didn't know, is a custom knife maker. One of the few that build custom leather knives, period. There just aren't many out there. Terry makes a super sharp quality knife. He does a terrific job on every one I have seen, which are these three.

It took about 3 months to get my first knife. It took 6 months to get the curved detail knife. And let me tell you right now, the are worth every minute of the wait. Every minute.

Mr. Knipschield is a man who has been making knives for over thirty years. But, he is a one man show. He won't sacrifice quality for quantity. He just won't. And that's why I don't mind waiting for his work.

I am a hobbyist and can afford the wait, and his prices are overly reasonable to me.

Each order I have placed I politely let him know that I was willing to wait and I promised not to pester him. Things happen in small business that consumers just never consider. One man businesses get sick, have to have a day off at least once a month, and sometimes they just need a minute to get back to their bearings. Having been in business before I can totally relate to this scenario.

I am very proud to have been blessed with some of Terry's work. 

Just wanted to share. Thanks.

Great looking set there!  I'm amazed that he doesn't charge twice as much for his products because he could and it would still be a good deal for the buyer.  

Now you need to ask him if he will make you a Petit French Model knife.  It's a smaller version of the french model you have and it is BY FAR my favorite knife.

9 minutes ago, geargarcon said:

Great looking set there!  I'm amazed that he doesn't charge twice as much for his products because he could and it would still be a good deal for the buyer.  

Now you need to ask him if he will make you a Petit French Model knife.  It's a smaller version of the french model you have and it is BY FAR my favorite knife.

I remember you sent me a pic of it when I bought the bevel knife from you. With these three and my rotary cutter, I haven't needed anything else.

Although one of those bigger head knives could come in handy....

I don't have one of Terry's knives, since I went a different direction and have antiques with the exception of the two really cheap ones that I bought specifically as "learners" ( to learn to sharpen and use).  They are over 100 years old, are still in great shape and very nice to use.  If you look at old price lists, these would have cost one to two weeks wages when they were new - a BIG chunk of change. 

Knipschield or Leatherwranglers are every bit as good if not a bit better than my antiques and with a little care will last as long - Your great grandchildren could well be using them.  The prices might seem a little high, but for most of us they are a few days pay - even after taxes.  Not at all bad in comparison to the antiques when new.  It's a pretty good deal, really.

Just some food for thought

- Bill

P.S.  Mutt - When are you gonna make some sheaths for those?  

1 hour ago, billybopp said:

I don't have one of Terry's knives, since I went a different direction and have antiques with the exception of the two really cheap ones that I bought specifically as "learners" ( to learn to sharpen and use).  They are over 100 years old, are still in great shape and very nice to use.  If you look at old price lists, these would have cost one to two weeks wages when they were new - a BIG chunk of change. 

Knipschield or Leatherwranglers are every bit as good if not a bit better than my antiques and with a little care will last as long - Your great grandchildren could well be using them.  The prices might seem a little high, but for most of us they are a few days pay - even after taxes.  Not at all bad in comparison to the antiques when new.  It's a pretty good deal, really.

Just some food for thought

- Bill

P.S.  Mutt - When are you gonna make some sheaths for those?  

I have a sheath in mind for the round knife, but they all came with what looks to be w&c bridle blade covers.