YinTx

Just a lil basketweave.. on some Hermann Oak!

Really enjoyed using my Beard basket stamp with a Barry King beader and Craftool Pro beveler...and an old border stamp on this Hermann Oak leather!  Looking forward to finishing this project, this is version 3 of the same thing since I wasn't happy with the first two rounds..  Stamped from the center out, came out fairly straight I think..

HOBasket1LoRes.thumb.jpg.fbfc88f8b43f91e31391460866cc3e86.jpg

YinTx

Admirable precision!   Perfectly aligned design!

Edited by LederRudi

I wish I could get my stamping that straight! I know...practice. I'm liking that beader, too.

Nicely done @YinTx

13 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I wish I could get my stamping that straight! I know...practice. I'm liking that beader, too.

Normally, I would blame my tools for accomplishing this task.. but the pile on my right would attest that your comment about practice is on point...

BasketPracticeLoRes.thumb.jpg.aa17fa48edac06d4890c8053e471f058.jpg

Thank you all for the positive comments on my basket weave, that was unexpected!  I was pretty excited it came out so straight, didn't know if anyone else had that same obsession for good basketweave... now if I could just get the *%$(* antique to look decent I'd be a happier man!

YinTx

That's some marvelous basket weave stamping. Really straight down the line, for sure. Good job, is right. ;-)

So eh, keep at it, will only improve over time. Ha

I need to get mine, to look similar to yours... 

Chas

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

Normally, I would blame my tools for accomplishing this task.. but the pile on my right would attest that your comment about practice is on point...

BasketPracticeLoRes.thumb.jpg.aa17fa48edac06d4890c8053e471f058.jpg

Thank you all for the positive comments on my basket weave, that was unexpected!  I was pretty excited it came out so straight, didn't know if anyone else had that same obsession for good basketweave... now if I could just get the *%$(* antique to look decent I'd be a happier man!

YinTx

What are you doing with all those basket weave samples? Are they dining table place mats?

Those combined, must have taken you many hours to complete, so I wonder about their ultimate use.

Ah, perhaps you are practicing for a super western saddle build.

Here's a short video that explains a few things about finishing your basket weave stamping.

Chas

Edited by ChasCS

Chas,

I have watched that video in the past, several times.  Interesting he shows the bottle on all the dyes and resists he uses, except the antique!  Just calls it high lighter.  In another video he did he mentions in the comments that it is water based, so I am presuming Eco Flow.  All of the antiques I have are acrylic or the Fiebing's paste style antique.  Resist I have been trying are Bee's, Angelus Acrylic, Clear-lac, Saddle lac, Tan Kote, Resolene, and probably some others I can't recall right now, none of which I have had great success with yet.  I have had some success with using no resist, but then I don't get the coloring effects I am looking for.  One day I'll hit the right note.

Those aren't really samples, more like attempts I wasn't happy with.  A couple of them came out well enough to use, they'll be on book covers, Ipad covers, 3-ring binders, etc.  The rest will likely end up in the scrap bin, not a fancy saddle.  And yes, many, many hours - and many other pieces that aren't shown.

YinTx

Well done, Y. 

Maybe you shouldn't worry so much about antiquing anything. It will get there on it's own with natural wear and tear.

And I think your talents are plenty good to be selling to people, if you want.

And you could always turn not antiquing into part of the sales pitch.

Just food for thought.

On 12/16/2017 at 6:15 AM, YinTx said:

Stamped from the center out, came out fairly straight I think..

Yeah, good stuff, too bad about that corner. There's always something right...? 
Myself, I always make mistakes. That's how it is being an artist/artisan/handicrafter/etcetera.
Personally I hate effing up my antiques so if it doesn't come out right as you wish, go take a bike chain to the piece and go to town on it. Then charge double for it on ETSY...

1 hour ago, robs456 said:

too bad about that corner

?  I suppose you don't like the little handcrafted stamp?  Sadly, I don't have a fancy hot foil press, or a maker's stamp.. perhaps you'd like to make a donation I could use towards such a thing?  :thumbsup:

Sadly, another artisan/perfectionist flaw I have reared it's head tonight, and I elected to donate a piece to the scrap bin that I was previously ok with, but changed my mind.  Starting over on a carved wallet...

Biker,

Thanks for the compliment, I am selling some items these days.  As far as antiquing, it is just one of those things I really want to get down right.  I'll just keep on tryin different stuff, but sure is getting frustrating (and expensive).

YinTx

Amazing precision, and a ton of practice. With my luck, I’d sneeze on the last stamp in the last corner and it’d all be over....

9 hours ago, YinTx said:

?  I suppose you don't like the little handcrafted stamp?

No, that's perfectly fine and I think you incorporated it well.
I meant the top left corner, I might be mistaken but in the two pics the weave looks a bit off there, a little 'bent'. Sorry if it's just the leather bending or my screen that's off.

On 12/17/2017 at 9:31 PM, motocouture said:

Amazing precision, and a ton of practice. With my luck, I’d sneeze on the last stamp in the last corner and it’d all be over....

On 12/18/2017 at 6:36 AM, robs456 said:

I meant the top left corner,

Not a sneeze - a blink, motocouture.  and leave it to robs456 to see that and point it out. :)

Actually, not as bad as it looks in the first photo.  The leather is curled on the end, making it look even worse than it already is.  Still, I stand by my need for a Spirit Thread in my projects, stamping is no different.  They show up, I don't even have to do them on purpose.  :blink:

On 12/17/2017 at 4:01 PM, bikermutt07 said:

And I think your talents are plenty good to be selling to people, if you want.

Hey, bikermutt, here's one I sold recently:

And this stamping project is for an IPad cover a good friend of mine ordered from me.  When I get done, I'll post a pic.

YinTx

I saw that purse today. You are braver than me. I have no desire to take on that much stitching by hand.

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

Not a sneeze - a blink, motocouture.  

Did it, done it, doing it tomorrow....

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

and leave it to robs456 to see that and point it out

Well, yeah, gotta go now, late for grinch duty... :)