SheltathaLore

This stitch doesn't look quite right on the backside. What am I missing?

Just about got the hang of my new machine, but I've got one last thing to figure out.  I've tweaked the tensions and read a lot on the forum (I never would have known about the hook in the take-up spring otherwise!), but I can't get the backside of the stitch to look quite right. 

In these pictures, I'm using a size 18 triangle point needle and size 92 bonded nylon thread on a combined weight of 4-5 oz kidskin.

Any suggestions?

Front:

9LjyqfO.jpg

Back:

hOmS6rR.jpg

Threading:

VJ6ZTTe.jpg

zooMI2e.jpg

0MFbC6p.jpg

The stitch line looks good to me, actually. 

The seam appearance on the backside looks different than the front side, but that's mainly due to the way the needle penetrates the material on top and pushes it out on the backside as the needle exits.

Fabric is a different story because the fabric's threads just get pushed aside by the rounded needle point and seam appearance is more similar front to back. Leather needles cut the material and leave a different seam appearance front and back. 

You can experiment with variations on the leather needle tip to alter the seam appearance in subtle ways, but you will probably be disappointed if you expect the seam to look identical front and back on leather with that machine. Of course the leather itself (type, thickness, tanning method, surface treatments, etc.) also plays a role.

There are a few (monstrous and expensive) machines like needle & awl machines that come closer to a perfectly symmetric saddle stitch look on leather because the material gets penetrated from both sides,  first with the awl from one side, then with the needle from the other. This double entry makes the seam appearance more uniform front to back. 

Edited by Uwe

1 hour ago, SheltathaLore said:

4-5 oz kidskin.

That does sound a little disturbing, though. 

I saw a thread here awhile back where someone posted pics of different needle point types and typical stitch results from each (needle side and bobbin side). Can't find the dang thread now.

Yetibelle, do you have those available as printable charts? Would be very handy 'cos these days I can't remember stuff like that!:blink:

@Dikman;

You can save the needle chart images to your computer then print them out from your photo app.

Thanks mate, good stuff. I have a couple of those already but you've got it all nicely assembled in one.

Wiz, for some reason I couldn't save the images (:blink:) which is why I asked.

Stitch looks good. Only improvement would be for the slight period of time when needle was brand new

18 hours ago, dikman said:

Wiz, for some reason I couldn't save the images (:blink:) which is why I asked.

This explanation assumes that you are using a computer or laptop, not a tablet or phone.

1. Bring the post with the uploaded images into view.
  2. Right click on the first image in the group. A vertical list known as flyout options appears.
  3. Left select the option to Save (Image) As (wording varies with browser brand)
  4. A window will open with that image selected and listed in the Save As field.
  5. Choose a location to save to
  6. Rename the image to something recognizable, leaving the .jpg extension in place.
  7. Click on the Save button.
  8. Continue saving other images.

If the Save As dialog shows a non-image file type extension, first use the View Image right click option. This will open just that file in the browser, stripping away any html or xml data. Then use the right click option to Save As.

If you are indeed using a hand held touch screen device, a long hold on the image may bring up some options, one of which could be to save it.

Thanks Wiz, I do know how to save images (I do it a lot!) but for some reason it didn't come up with the usual "save as" options only as "save as HTML". I just tried it again and now it works!!!! Gotta love computers but sometimes they drive me nuts!