OLDNSLOW

NYLON versus POLYESTER who

Uses what, I have been up till the most recent spool of thread have bought Nylon to machine sew with, then I needed a new spool of some natural colored thread and bought some 277 polyester and now wonder if I should switch all of my stuff over?!  I run all of my thread through an oil pot before it gets to the needle ( I guess that is the only way it can be done ) DOH, but would like to hear all the arguments pro and con, so pile on for the ride and lets hear why one is better than the other!

Thanks

I don't machine sew, Yet. But from all I have read poly is supposed to be more resistant to sunlight. 

That's all I got.

(Following along for the lesson).

so far that is all I have heard is that it is more resistant to uv light,  well actually not the only thing the other is that if nylon gets wet it is more prone to lead to mold and degradation from that.  So with it being those 2 things still hoping for more responses to the pro's and cons of which is better when doing holsters and belts.

Maybe we could make some stuff up?

Like, polyester braided thread held the spacesuits together on the Apollo missions. Nylon was used by the cosmonauts.

I highly recommend hammockforums.net from it's style it's got to be a sister site to this one. It's how I got here. They have moved about a 1000 years into the future on this topic. I have a spool of cord ( thin enough I can sew with it, ill have to look up the name)  that can support 1000 lbs with no stretch. pretty sure its the poly that stretches.

http://zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml

Edited by Mjolnir
ps

I'll have to look at that site, I have heard that the nylon is a little bit stronger but nothing to jump up and down about, so that is one part that is not a deal breaker to make the decision to warrant a switch from one to the other.  still hoping more will chime in on the conversation. 

Is there a difference between nylon and polyester?
While nylon has a lower denier thickness than polyester does, it is inherently stronger than polyester on a weight-for-weight basis. ... This also means that nylon takes longer to dry than polyester does. The durability, mold resistance and ease of cleaning is so close between these two fabrics.

I think it would come down to what you sew. In this respect I understand polyester is better suited for sunny locations or really UV light.  That is primarily why I started with using it as a marine canvas fabricator.

Something I read lately and interesting is poly is much more expensive to make than  nylon, for whatever thats worth.  I wonder actually when the acrylic thread bandwagon will be a discussion. 

For what its worth I use only SolarFix thread in my marine canvas fabrication.

Its good to be able to keep other thread types for choice locations they might be used. Or wanted!, these may or may not get extreme use but do try. So its good to keep up on the benefits. Thanks you all

Floyd

I just recently has a need for some thread and ordered what I thought was going to be nylon in 277, it turned out to be polyester in 277.  Everything I have done till now had all been done with nylon, and about a year ago I started to run it through a lube pot filled with silicone lubricant, I started to do this for two reasons, one was to help keep the needle a little cooler, and the other was to introduce a water proofing element, now does it work on either step, I don't know.  but to bring up to date when I started to use the polyester I noticed right away that the polyester would not accomplish the task that I could accomplish with nylon,  if I tried to step from one layer of leather to another the polyester would break right away, tried the same task with nylon using the same settings and the nylon would sew the two layer leather with no problem, It was really interesting to say the least.  So still real puzzled about the differences between the two and for now will keep all my nylon and doing what I have been doing all along. 

That's strange that the poly is breaking,I've never really noticed any difference between the 2 types.

Are you using the same type thread on top and bottom?  If not, one could be cutting the other.  This is just a guess.

Tom

yes I was using 277 top and bottom, and Bob I thought it was strange that it was braking thread with the brand new spool of thread.  I went ahead and ordered some more 277 in nylon and ran it through a test where I was going from sewing on 10oz and the lower knot was perfect and also tested by sewing to the transition from 10oz to 20ox in a step and sewed perfectly with no issues at all.  It didn't really surprise me that it did accomplish the job but with very little ease knots set perfect and no fraying or breakage.  So know like I had mentioned I will continue to use the nylon and hang on to the polyester for another trial run at a job that I can experiment with a little, before rendering a complete analysis on the polyester.

2 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

yes I was using 277 top and bottom, and Bob I thought it was strange that it was braking thread with the brand new spool of thread.  I went ahead and ordered some more 277 in nylon and ran it through a test where I was going from sewing on 10oz and the lower knot was perfect and also tested by sewing to the transition from 10oz to 20ox in a step and sewed perfectly with no issues at all.  It didn't really surprise me that it did accomplish the job but with very little ease knots set perfect and no fraying or breakage.  So know like I had mentioned I will continue to use the nylon and hang on to the polyester for another trial run at a job that I can experiment with a little, before rendering a complete analysis on the polyester.

I'm am just guessing, do you think maybe that spool of polyester got too hot somewhere between manufacturing and you?

7 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I've not had good luck with poly, however, I've gotten some bad nylon also.  Some of it just comes down to being poor thread to start with.  I don't know if it would be a random bad spool, or a bad run.  Most of the time, thread that won't work on top can be used on bobbins, but I've even had thread that didn't work on the bottom.  None of it was "bargain" or "odd lot" thread.  It was all standard stock from reputable companies.

In my start not so long ago I never had a tough time locating 92 size thread as thats all I needed and setup for. I did then rely on Coats for much homework in my learning some tips. 

When lucky to get a used big stitcher a State away. I really only then pursued some homework on locating what i first wanted in machine size so 277 it was. It seemed to me my brand homework choices were not easily avail in big thread, and or possibly renamed and or respooled. 

I would like to hear any choice in comparison size to hand stitch thread, cord and what many use. I recently glanced at tiger and seen 4 choices, this is just what i googled and so took a look see. 

Always interesting topic this thread thing, I cannot do and so smartly try and choose to have projects with similar thread needs. 

Coffee time, Good day!

Floyd