Sanch

New life for old swivel knife (pic heavy)

Ok so I was inspired by @Mjolnir when he posted his swivel knife mod here's mine all frankenswiveled! Bringing the barrel down to size, clamped it in the drill and ran it on a belt sander . 20171230_142816_resized.jpg.86b74829b949b5b8b7363762c78dbb04.jpg20171230_142824_resized.jpg.3d9e43f9cf07844944459817b345bb78.jpg cut out a bunch of disks 4 ounce veg tan. Had some little hands help me!20171230_132901_resized.jpg.a9e0535d75c04279a857ec4c1276fdd1.jpg20171230_140025_resized.jpg.99e21f7fe62f8e1ce6eafba0a96d7bf7.jpg glue them all together in stacks of four. If there is any question as to the durability of Rania  Aquilim 315 I still have my money on it ! 20171230_155553_resized.jpg.586e15e215027bda710ca9cd7f177418.jpg here it is all stacked together and chucked back in the drill ready to be shaped on the Belt Sander.20171230_162504_resized.jpg.1d69051aeffda399aa4e4d4b44fb4072.jpg and here's the shape after some sanding on the Belt Sander while spinning in the drill to keep it round.20171230_165749_resized.jpg.418d2a2ee2eb576b00a9a74ef584b4a0.jpg a little bit of work on the saddle. This part was a pain in the you-know-what just because I had no way of clamping it to do the saddle Stitch.20171230_173501_resized.jpg.cccadf459d11b23d579d249bd223dea3.jpg and finally here is to finished knife it's a hundred times better than the original! I dyed both the saddle and the barrel tan. I then finished the barrel with pure beeswax melted in.20171230_181718_resized.jpg.b206a73346863294fce7b31a5523fd17.jpg thanks for looking and I hope you guys enjoyed the walkthrough sorry it was so lengthy!

Wow that is neat.    I might have to try that now.....like I need more projects lol  Great work, hope it gives you years of use

R

That is so cool.. that I poured myself a glass of Talisker just to raise it to you...love it..

Reminded me of the bicycle that someone here wrapped...and a leather wrapped swivel knife.. are just so cromulent..

Raises glass to you again.. :-)

So much better than mine! I love it! I had the same thought for the saddle. Amazing! Now I have to make another :)

15 minutes ago, Rossr said:

Wow that is neat.    I might have to try that now.....like I need more projects lol  Great work, hope it gives you years of use

R

Thanks! I have too many customs lol! One for every blade.!

5 minutes ago, mikesc said:

That is so cool.. that I poured myself a glass of Talisker just to raise it to you...love it..

Reminded me of the bicycle that someone here wrapped...and a leather wrapped swivel knife.. are just so cromulent..

Raises glass to you again.. :-)

Awww man! Thanks! Have another for me sir!

5 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

So much better than mine! I love it! I had the same thought for the saddle. Amazing! Now I have to make another :)

Thanks,  I've done more than a few stacked handles on knives so I knew how to attack it! You inspired me sir thanks again!

thanks for that! Now you've shown how its done correctly :)

The thin leather is much better suited for the size.

and don't call me sir. I work for a living ;)

Edited by Mjolnir
ps

57 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

Yes sir..err um ok boss,dude whatever lol! Yea I get ya been in the south for a long time here brother! 

The plain yokes always cut into my fingers.  Back in '61, covered my yoke with a scrap of leather.  Wasn't as pretty as this is!

Tom

23 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

I re-done my ergo handled Tammy knife as well but i used thicker leather like you it worked fine and less spacers to cut! Here she is next to her sister!20171231_171515_resized.jpg.558829cb11d1aa0882895a8d846ae523.jpg oh and here are the rest of the crew...20171231_171441_resized.jpg.bb278c6db29ada630a3ff9fead0f18e5.jpg

3 hours ago, Northmount said:

The plain yokes always cut into my fingers.  Back in '61, covered my yoke with a scrap of leather.  Wasn't as pretty as this is!

Tom

Thank you! 

Ok, so, I'm trying to play this game and have the saddle piece removed and wrapped. Mine has a split ring on the shaft that I can't get it back into the large barrel. Anyone know how to get it back in? I can get pics up if needed.

I'm working on the stacked piece now so I have a little time to figure out how to reassemble but I can't find it anywhere. This also led me to search on swivel knife maintenance which there isn't a whole lot of aside from sharpening either. Does anyone regularly take their swivel knives apart and lube 'em, etc.?

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Ok, so, I'm trying to play this game and have the saddle piece removed and wrapped. Mine has a split ring on the shaft that I can't get it back into the large barrel. Anyone know how to get it back in? I can get pics up if needed.

I'm working on the stacked piece now so I have a little time to figure out how to reassemble but I can't find it anywhere. This also led me to search on swivel knife maintenance which there isn't a whole lot of aside from sharpening either. Does anyone regularly take their swivel knives apart and lube 'em, etc.?

The saddle stem should just press back into place. Make sure the tiny split ring is in its groove you may want to lube the stem or the split ring itself with a lil grease or 3 & 1 oil.  I'd use the later.  As far as maintenance goes a light coat of 3 & 1 oil on the blade to keep any rust from forming between uses depending how often you carve, strop before use this will also remove the oil from the bevel so it doesn't pollute your leather! Don't throw it don't drop it nor use it to cut cheese. That's it. 

Thanks @Sanch. The saddle pulled out easily enough but it's fighting going back in and I can't keep the split ring compressed because the opening of the barrel is bigger than the split ring and is recessed. 

17 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Thanks @Sanch. The saddle pulled out easily enough but it's fighting going back in and I can't keep the split ring compressed because the opening of the barrel is bigger than the split ring and is recessed. 

I made mine a little different from Sanch. The saddle part on mine came off from the vibration of sanding. I got lucky and found the little ring. Mine either broke or it wasn't a full split ring, just a single ring open on one side. It popped right on the ring indention and slid back in. I'm guessing they aren't all the same and you've probably tried everything. A pic might help. sounds frustrating.

Thanks Sanch now I'm taking apart my ergo, which was a good knife, to redo that one too :)