Big Sioux Saddlery

What Is This Piece of Hardware?

I've had a box full of these for a long time.  I don't even remember where it came from, but it was in with a large lot of harness and saddlery hardware, or came with a shop buyout.  The chrome or nickel plated ones all have a piece cut off of them, and I'm assuming they were identical to the black/brass ones when new.  They are about 1-1/2" wide and maybe a couple inches top to bottom. 

untitled.png

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Well the picture shows up so dang small I can't even see it once it was posted.  So someone tell me how to fix that, please!

I can't tell you how to fix the picture, but I can see enough to tell you those are miniature English saddle stirrups. The are often used as decorations on shoes and purses. Some people who love horses even use them as pendants on necklaces or charm bracelets.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/545908019/miniature-leather-stirrup-keyrings-ltd?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=miniature stirrups&ref=sr_gallery-1-4

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I can't really see the photo well at all , but they look like "D" rings and your verbal description seems to confirm this.  These would be very usual in a saddle or harness shop, in various different  sizes and the fact that you have boxes of them is not uncommon either for that type shop.

Paul

Well, I gotta fix the picture, because they aren't mini English stirrups, and they aren't just dee rings, although I have to admit, with what is visible, they look like they could be either one. I tried enlarging the picture, and it just got blurry.  There is a curved hook at the top of the piece, like it is intended to hook into a strap, and the bottom (the part that looks like the tread on an English stirrup) has a couple of bars spaced like a strap is supposed to feed through and back around, or something.  The frame is way too light to be any type of hardware used on any equine equipment, so I ruled that out right away.   I'll take some more pics tomorrow.

English stirrups DO have two bars on the tread portion. It's so they can hold a rubber tread that's designed to fit in between the bars (see full sized saddle - there's a tread on that stirrup.)

i think they could still be decorative mini stirrups, and the hook at the top is so they can hook onto a chain or a small strap of some sort.

Thank you Tug, that is the closest I've seen.  I did a Google Image search and came up empty.  On mine, the bars are offset from each other, so not like the stirrup tread on an English saddle at all, but I guess if the designer needed to take some artistic license to make the buckles function better, then that's what they must be.  I rode English horses all through high school and professionally for several years after high school, and they just didn't look enough like an English stirrup to me to call them that.  Two dimensionally, yes, but not when I had them in my hand and looked at them from all angles.  In any case, I must have a couple hundred of them if anyone wants some!

Did you take a photo with your smart phone?  Tell us how you did it and we might be able to help get it uploaded a little larger.

Tom

6 hours ago, Northmount said:

Did you take a photo with your smart phone?  Tell us how you did it and we might be able to help get it uploaded a little larger.

Tom

Yes, Tom, the first picture was taken with my smart phone.  However, I went back out and took a picture with my digital camera this morning, because I know that has worked in the past for this site, if I shrink them in size.  And I THOUGHT I posted them here this morning, but it seems I did not.  I just have a lot going on right now! Lol.  Anyway, here are the pics (hopefully) if anyone is interested. 

Thanks again Tom!

IMG_6131E.jpg

IMG_6132E.jpg

IMHO it is clearly a belt buckle.  Found several examples similar to the Hermes one I posted.