BillinTR

Using a Stitching Pony/Horse

I am a new guy just getting started. My first project will involve just stitching and finishing. I have read threads here and books there and watched videos somewhere else. Everything I have seen so far shows sewing two flat pieces of leather together on the stitching pony. But how many projects involve just pieces of flat leather? What do you do when you formed pieces of leather into block shapes or some other three dimensional shapes that then need to be either stitched together at the edges or elsewhere or be stitched to some flat backing. It appears to me that a stitching pony doesn't accommodate 3D shapes well. Does anyone know of a video or illustrations on how to use a stitching pony for such things?

You either have to plan around it, make a jig for it, sew if flat and then shape it if practical, or sew it up without a clamping mechanism or using it to hold a different part of the work further away from the joint.

Edited by battlemunky

I use a stitching pony for everything. Some times I use othe clamps just to hold it to the pony if It won't fit in the pony. I need to have 2 hands free to stitch. Use your imagination find what works for you.

OK, so essentially a stitching pony doesn't often help much for the kind of stitching I am talking about. Which makes me wonder why everybody seems to strongly recommend getting one. I don't anticipate doing too many projects requiring stitching two flat pieces of leather together. It seems like a hobby vise with jigs or supports appropriate for the project would be more useful. Maybe I am missing something.

Sheaths, holsters, wallets, belts, lots of stuff, you can get a ton of benefit out of using a clamping mechanism. 

What exactly is it you are making? Most 3d objects out of leather start off flat. Not a lot of cubes occurring out of leather without a few flat pieces being sewn together somewhere.

You really need two hands to sew leather well. Having something to hold them makes life a lot easier and your work a lot more tidy. Eliminating variation in your stitching will become a goal here shortly. Clams, ponies, and horses make that goal far easier to approach than freehanding it.

5 minutes ago, BillinTR said:

I don't anticipate doing too many projects requiring stitching two flat pieces of leather together. It seems like a hobby vise with jigs or supports appropriate for the project would be more useful.

I thought exactly the same thing when I first started out and was looking at the expense and/or time involved in buying or making a horse. Once I built mine (according to the plans in Stohlman's "Art of Handsewing Leather") and used it a couple of times, I realized it was time and money VERY WELL spent.

Mattsbagger and Battlemunky have it right: For odd shaped pieces (and sometimes even for huge flat pieces) just use your imagination and turn/bend/squeeze until it holds. Sometimes a block of wood or old bathtowel shoved inside a pouch or such piece will bulk it up enough to clamp in the horse the way you want it.

Bottom line: They were invented quite a long time ago for a reason and the basic principle hasn't changed much because it works. Not everything works for everyone, but I would not want to be without mine!

If you don't want to go out on a limb with a full size stitching horse, I would suggest to build or buy a simple clam (or "pony") and try it. if it's something you like you can always upgrade and if it doesn't work for you then you didn't spend a lot of money.

Whatever you decide, have fun with your new hobby (or should I say addiction?) and enjoy it!

Black Dogg

I will second what everyone says.   I have taught basic leather work at a summer camp and a couple years ago I took the time to make two of them up form Al Stholmans plans.  Made a world of difference for the kids and then i realized how Hard I had made it on myself ...needless to say I made one.  Mine was a simple one that goes under my legs but still...its worth the time to make in my opinion

Ross

Same for me. When the item gets to that stage where it can't be flattened I block it out with off-cuts of wood and scrap leather. Still goes into the clamps.

Mine is a sort of clam. Two shaped up-rights attached to a plank, which I sits on on a chair or bench. It'll go anywhere easy*. - Today I plan to get two new springs for it; first improvements on it since I made it 20 years ago   * a workmate thingy doesn't pack up or store as small as my clam

Trust me, it's a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what you will spend on this addiction.

Maybe my problem is that I need to study up more on techniques of construction. Initially the first couple of projects I have in mind will probably work fine in a stitching pony. But I have a couple of plans to do stuff that needs to be molded like holsters and cases. It seems that once something is molded I would not want to clamp it in something that would crush or deform what I molded the leather into. And I can see myself doing more of those kinds of things than flat stuff.

Like I said I still need to study construction and design techniques. I am still gathering materials and tools also. I will take another look at the whole stitching horse/pony.

I am not sure you have thought it completely through. The stitching pony for me is just an extra set of hands. If you are making your stitching pony as I did you can think through your needs and build accordingly. Mine has a bout a 3.5 inch gap so that I can sew things that have some girth or that need to bend. Even if I am sewing a wallet there is a sharp bend if you accommodated for the extra material for the top so the bent part goes in the gap and the part I am sewing goes in the clamp.

The European style clams have a big belly that seems very useful though I have never gotten to try one and you might want to consider them. Before I die I will get hold of one to try.

Here is a thread on those. With the narrow clamp area and large belly they seem ideal.

but your question was about molded objects. You didn't specify what they might be but below I post a pic of a simple molded bag I made. After I glued my molded piece to my flat piece I was able to set up my pony so that one leg was inside the bag and one outside and still keep the clamp up very close to the stitching area for support as I used my awl.

Butterfly%20bag%204.jpg

I have posted pix of my pony many times before but here it is again. I use it for virtually everything and I make a wide variety of leather goods. This has been in use at least 4 days a week for a couple fo years now

stitching%20pony.JPG

Edited by Boriqua

Even if the clam/pony/etc isn't holding the project, it can bring up to the correct height and hold the tiny clamp/clip/mold that is holding your project.

I echo the above.   There are also special jigs that help sew box corners.  Nigel Armitage shows one in a youtube video.  So just because a project is 3D you still only have two hands and proper stitching requires two.

BTW, my pony was made from some scrap lumber and took maybe an hour to complete.  I purchased a hinge and a bolt with wing nut and washer.  Total cost was under $5.00.  It has proved itself invaluable as a third hand.  I no longer use the bolt.  I saw a video where a guy was using a plastic clamp to hold the jaws together.  I already had a clamp and tried it.  Never going back to the bolt.  I know aesthetically it isn't cool, but in this case function trumps form.

I didnt have spare lumber but the 1x4 was under $10. I think the hinge was $3. I had the bolt and the spring was from an old 1911. I had a large knob but went to the cam and love it. I think the cam was $5. So about $20 total and its the perfect hieght for me when sitting in a chair. I put the bolt kind of low to accommodate larger items but tugadude's clamp idea would mean you could move it wherever you want.

I appreciate all the comments and learned a lot from them. I do recognize the need to be able to have both hands free. I never really questioned that need. It just seemed that the stitching pony was most suited to a specific need. I have plenty of scrap wood available to build one and possibly even the necessary hardware. And a couple of the comments above have given me an idea for modifications to the basic stitching pony.

Thanks again for the insights.

1 hour ago, BillinTR said:

I appreciate all the comments and learned a lot from them. I do recognize the need to be able to have both hands free. I never really questioned that need. It just seemed that the stitching pony was most suited to a specific need. I have plenty of scrap wood available to build one and possibly even the necessary hardware. And a couple of the comments above have given me an idea for modifications to the basic stitching pony.

Thanks again for the insights.

That's the big point. Modify to your needs.