Ola Lindberg

Help with info

I am collecting a sewing machine at a friend’s place. I am unsure of the brand, and what is a reasonable price for it. The brand is The Inge Company, model 144A305. It’s equipped with Variostop. Anyone have any useful thoughts on that?

A479F0C3-D818-4AC1-9711-9CB2500A9E7E.jpeg

Looks like a Singer clone (unlikely) or re-brand (likely) to me. There are threads here about these machines. IIRC it is used for stitching upholstery to fiberboards in the automotive and furniture industries, therefore too fast for leather work.

Google the same model number with Singer.

Edited by DrmCa

5 hours ago, Ola Lindberg said:

The Inge Company, model 144A305

I suppose it's missing the "S" and "R"?

144 A 305 is a Singer for sure.

Looks like the machine is in nice condition and the Variostop is a good Efka motor/controller. The pedals indicate foot operated presser foot lift and reverse.

I think this may be a model shared by Adler and Singer.  It looks just like an Adler 220 and the "A" in 144A305 may well indicate a re-badged Adler. You can look for Adler 220 documentation and compare. The Adler 220 brochure (2205073.pdf) has some specs.

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 7.33.32 PM.png

@Gregg From Keystone Sewing has a double needle version of this machine on his website (http://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/1bb153606d494c4a9b634c398c3a8095) so he may know more about  it. 

Edited by Uwe

Thanks for all the help! Now back to the matter of the value. What would be a reasonable price for a machine like this? As a private deal, not dealer-price.

That's a nice looking new toy! I just barely started paying attention to this type of older long arm machine, but it's impressive how the various models/brands in working condition seems to hold their value quite well even when they've obviously been rode hard.  It would be interesting to know where the demand is that keeps the low end prices up so high.  DIY boat sails? Tarps? Upholstery shops with an occasional wide sun shade? 

The lowest price I've seen on what appeared to be a  complete head, but no guarantee of anything, was on eBay a few weeks ago - $500.  

We can't really tell you what you should pay your friend for this machine. 

Somewhere between $1,000-$2,000 between friends would seem reasonable to most people in North America. But my idea of reasonable pricing was shattered when I went out for a casual dinner in Oslo, or took a subway ride in Stockholm (it was by far the nicest subway I have ever been on.) 

Edited by Uwe

Uwe is right.  This is an Adler 220-76-73  which is a 30" single needle long arm.  Great machine.  Singer contracted with Adler to build the 144A305 which was a 220-76-73 with the Singer name and model number on it.  These machines were $7,000.00 plus.  A very good price today in America would be anything under $2,000.00  I have a 220-50-73 which is the 20" machine and it cost me $4,000.00 rebuilt head only in 1998.

Great machines for sewing truck covers, outdoor furniture, tarps and canvas.  Not to good for leather.  They are built like tanks and better than the Singer 144W's.

It has reverse, so it would be on the higher end of the price scale.  I really liked the one I restored a few years ago.  They are very heavy, and not that easy to move around so I bolted casters on the feet.  Still if you have larger canvas project it is a great machine. 

5a81e23f40ab0_singer144w305sale.JPG.d3fed85f8343e659c2707535a5d56f98.JPG

I Know a little bit more about the machine now, after we tested it when collecting it.

The reverse function doesn’t work properly, so the previous owners just disconnected that pedal. It’s also unclear if the needle positioning is working properly. So I guess that means I need to bring in a service company to get it in order. Would you say that affects the value of the machine?

This is an interesting post, with a nice machine.  I must say hiring a service tech does affect the value. Then again this requirement is an investment for most large companies. 

Many of us here on the site including you, either start learning to repair their machines in interest and or a cost investment. Only you know what your primary focus is to be at this start.

In a begining getting the machine to function as the factory designed is an asset. So anyone interested will also need to account for this. If you know a technician in this industrial field then this may be a great option.  

There is no doubt others here have been a great asset in their help. This internet has been the best thing ever for the sharing knowledge.  In this strategy we just have to account for time and patience if we ourselves decide to repair beyond operator levels.

Good day

Floyd

Congratulations on your new arrival! 

It's most likely that the machine will need some adjustments to work properly.  That's just normal and does not affect its value. If parts are missing or broken, that's a different story.

However, if you have to get a service technician to come out every time it needs and adjustment, that will add up over time. 

There's a lot you can do yourself if you are the least bit mechanically inclined. If you want remote, internet-based help, then you'll have to describe problems and details as precisely as possible and provide good photos or videos.

You can crowdsource a lot of help right here on LW if you are patient and have a tolerance for noise and opinions. If you prefer one-on-one help for specific troubleshooting or adjustment, I'm one of the people who offer remote one-on-one service calls.

An Adler 220 Parts Diagram (Adler 220 parts.pdf) will be helpful in working on the machine and to identify parts in question.