FresnoFox

Moving a Singer 31-15?

I am new to posting here though I’ve been reading for several months. Someone is giving me a Singer 31-15. It is my first machine bigger than a home machine. I know it is not ideal for sewing leather. But it’s free so....I am going to pick it up Sun. I haven’t seen it in person yet, just pictures. If I take the head off, will the table fit in the back of a Yukon? It looks like the original table based on google searches I’ve done. Also, what tools will I need to remove the head?

Great Deal !! Yes.it will fit,we've even put the stands in smaller vehicles like a Honda CRV.

Edited by CowboyBob

I've put one in a VW Polo before (small hatchback). Took along a tool bag and spent a half hour stripping it down. Head off and in the passenger footwell. Motor ditto. Table top in the back (seats folded down), legs on top of that, all the other gubbins chucked on top of that. Finished the cuppa the nice lady made for me, washed the worst of the rusty schmoo off my hands and off I went.

If its the solid wood table and standard H-legs with a clutch motor still attached it will be heavy and awkward.  I put some cardboard down and slide it on top of that they look bigger in pictures than the actually are, I figure the table is 48 long by about 20 wide, easy for a big SUV.  you will have fun they are nice machines and easy to maintain. 

It is the wood table with H legs I believe. My phone automatically deleted the pics she sent me unfortunately and I only have a couple I sent to a friend to look at. I am going to replace the motor with a servo so I could take it off to move since I’m going to anyway. What all tools should I take to remove the head and motor? I’m just starting to make purses so free with some maintenance cost is good until I see if this is going to make any $ at all.

The table should be 20" x 48", with steel legs and a (probably clutch) motor underneath. The head sits in a cutout in the table and has two tilt clamps on the back, for tilting it back to remove the vbelt. With the belt off the 50+ pound head can be lifted off the table.

The top of the table will probably have a thread stand and flex lamp and a bobbin winder.

If you need to remove the thread stand, you will need a flat blade screwdriver for sure and possibly a Philips driver.

The motor will be bolted onto the table with nuts that may have SAE or Metric heads, ranging from 1/2" to 5/8", or 12mm to 18mm. Bring open end wrenches.

The motor will have wiring clamped to the table bottom, leading to a switch box that will need to be unscrewed and removed.

Perfect! Thank you all so much for the info!

I've done this to several (different) tables, I take a set of socket spanners (metric and imperial), a couple of adjustable wrenches, assorted screwdrivers (flat and philips), assorted pliers, a pair of locking vice-grips and a cordless drill (probably not necessary but I take it anyway) - you never know what problems you might run into. Don't forget to take some old cloths as it can be a grubby job!  Remove the head unit and turn the table upside down to remove the motor (heavy!!) and dismantle the legs if needed (I find it better to do this as it makes everything manageable).

Edited by dikman

No need to remove the motor. Pull.the head, no tools. Clean the top by removing a bobbin winder lamp thread stand. Screwdrivers, cresent wrech, wire cutter for lamp cord. Cut and replace if necessary. Slide table in upside down on top. Use ratchet strap to hold in center of vehicle.  Don't loose hinges which will fall.out of head.

Open end wrenches along with crescent wrench to shorten legs if necessary.

You don't have to remove the motor, but unless you're Hercules it makes it much easier (and safer) to get that dead weight off the table before trying to load it into a vehicle (I'm assuming here that you're by yourself, if you have a mate with you then that's different).

The whole thing should fit in a Yukon, perhaps with some disassembly. Personally, I'd be tempted to say "Just the head, Ma'am. Would you mind dragging that sagging table, rusty legs and infernal clutch motor to the curb on trash day?"

If that free head is worth bothering with, you can probably justify a few hundred bucks towards a new table and servo motor. If that's not in your budget, then industrial sewing machines are probably not something you should get involved in.

Edited by Uwe

16 hours ago, Uwe said:

If that free head is worth bothering with, you can probably justify a few hundred bucks towards a new table and servo motor. If that's not in your budget, then industrial sewing machines are probably not something you should get involved in.

Yep, they do have a tendency to act as a money sponge:rolleyes2:.

I am kind of late replying to this thread. I did get the machine and table in my Yukon quite easily. The machine was in much worse shape than I anticipated so I did a complete refurb on it. Stripped to bare metal and repainted and re-decaled. Repainted table legs. Table top was in excellent shape besides needing a good cleaning. Took out all the insides behind the face plate and cleaned and replaced. Ordered a few new parts "guaranteed to fit" which didn't even come close to fitting. Still waiting on a few to come in. I should have a new servo motor from Toledo Sewing Machine in the next day or so. Clutch motor works fine but I'm not going to listen to that racket the entire time I'm working. 

All of this and I still can't get it to pick up the bottom thread. I got so tired of messing with it I just quit. 

It looks really pretty though. Lol I should post before and after pics. 

The moral to this story is I should have just bought a used running machine. I could have made and sold several bags by now.

18 hours ago, FresnoFox said:

Oh goodness! Been there, done that! Well, now you are in love, or maybe the machine will grown on you.

Always nice to have a really pretty machine to look at! Great inspiration anyhow, even if you have not made any bags yet!

Can't wait to see the pics. Please please post! Sounds like a lot of work!

18 hours ago, FresnoFox said:

------------------------------------------------------

All of this and I still can't get it to pick up the bottom thread. I got so tired of messing with it I just quit. 

It looks really pretty though. Lol I should post before and after pics. 

The moral to this story is I should have just bought a used running machine. I could have made and sold several bags by now.