This is my latest small offering. A variation on a Tandy project for a swivel knife case.

Fish leather about 1.0 - 1.5mm thick, hand sewn with waxed poly thread.

Any errors are entirely my own any critiques or advice welcome.

20180220_161248280.jpg

20180220_161429034.jpg

20180220_161504615.jpg

20180220_161532614.jpg

I like it,  did you dye?  What brand?

No dye, just the colour the leather was made in the tannery.

That's cool! I always wondered how fish leather was to work with?

From my limited experience, its a lot like thin chrome tan I think.

The flesh side is quite rough (lots of fibrous matter hanging off it), and the edge does not burnish easily.

The only good things about it are there's no need to tool a design, this lot came already dyed and it sews pretty easily.

Wait a minute.... I think something fishy is going on around here.

Love it.

I have some toad skins I want to do a wallet back with. Just haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking gonna need to laminate to either some 3oz or black pigskin I have. It's amazing what people will make leather out of. Since I'm from close to Plainfield WI originally some of you will know what I'm talking about.

I have some toad skins heading my way (without the inside bits). They're from "The Toad Factory". I will post a review after I have done a bit with them.

G'Day ,

Looks quite a nice pouch, such a nice texture too  ,  and the buckle goes well  with the colour, well done . I've never used fish skins before . Have you used Cane toad skins ?  The 'glands' can be a bit thick at times when sewing. 

I   get the skins ( from QLD )  and make and sell Cane Toad leather  goods myself.  They're a bit fiddly at times trimming all the daggy bits,  but I  do enjoy  working with them. Heres a few examples. 

Good luck with the Cane toad skins, look forward to seeing some pics. 

HS

Cane Toad Handbag pic edit.JPG

Cane Toad  Stubby Holder Pics 020.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, Handstitched said:

Have you used Cane toad skins ?

My toad skins arrived. They look great. I need to think of something to make with them. Maybe some inlays for larger items ... I have a few the same colour, so maybe some thing like your prize-winner there, which looks awesome!

Nice texture!  Do you know what kind/species of fish?  I like what you've done with it.

(Excuse me, Frog Parking Only.  All others toad.):rolleyes:

JMixx

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, JMixx said:

Nice texture!  Do you know what kind/species of fish?

No idea of the species, sorry. I obtained the leather from a salvage store that purchased a job-lot from the tannery. Tannery is over 700kms away, so I can't drop in to ask them!

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, JMixx said:

(Excuse me, Frog Parking Only.  All others toad.):rolleyes:

:lol:

This is the case I made for my stitching chisels.

The leather is an unknown something or other that I was given, except for the strip across the front where I made the front flap too short, that strip and the welt are 2.5mm vegtan.

Stitching chisel case 3.jpg

Stitching chisel case 4.jpg

Stitching chisel case 5.jpg

Stitching chisel case 1.jpg

Stitching chisel case 2.jpg

To me this fish leather looks like Tilapia. I have one skin lying aroubd here I could post a pic of the raw skin if anyone is interrested. 

@Rockoboy may I ask how you finished the „grain“ side to be shiny? Mine seems rather matte

Nice job.  I always have found textured leather to be a pain to keep the stitching straight and even.  Never thought of using fish leather.  Funny thing is once they make it into leather it probably isn't waterproof anymore!

5 hours ago, charon said:

To me this fish leather looks like Tilapia. I have one skin lying aroubd here I could post a pic of the raw skin if anyone is interrested. 

@Rockoboy may I ask how you finished the „grain“ side to be shiny? Mine seems rather matte

I doubt that this is Tilapia, because they are considered a feral pest and not bred for eating in this part of the world, plus the town where the tannery is, is even less likely to have access to Tilapia. IMHO.

I did nothing to finish the leather, this is how it came to me. It does not burnish very well along the edges, so I am thinking it is chrome tanned.

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Nice job.  I always have found textured leather to be a pain to keep the stitching straight and even.  Never thought of using fish leather.  Funny thing is once they make it into leather it probably isn't waterproof anymore!

Thanx. I guess tanning is a process that stabilises the leather (stops it from rotting after the animal is dead), but as with most things, moisture changes the parameters.

On 3/24/2018 at 1:50 AM, Rockoboy said:

I doubt that this is Tilapia, because they are considered a feral pest and not bred for eating in this part of the world, plus the town where the tannery is, is even less likely to have access to Tilapia. IMHO.

I did nothing to finish the leather, this is how it came to me. It does not burnish very well along the edges, so I am thinking it is chrome tanned.

I wasn't aware of that. I just went by the look and my Tilapia skins looks close to what you had. As said, mine is matte so I'm currently wondering how to finish it. Working with Resolene or Carnauba Creme doesn't seem to be a good idea because of the bulky surface. I don't think the result will be an evenly covering finish.