LederRudi

Basketweave Belt, Oak Leaf Arm Guard

I measured the enlarged scan of a single impression of my favorite Berry King basketweave stamp and found that it requires an angle of 31,2 °.  Each kind of basket stamp has its own ideal angle, I guess.

I also strung together copies of the scan and filled a page with "digital basketweave" (without the usual aberrations to be found in my real projects) which I use now for planning layouts. The calculated angle proved to be just right. Then I knocked up a template for belt stamping.

IMHO the columns of canted impressions should be parallel to the symmetry axis of a project such as the folding line of a holster. 

Probably all old news, but for me a step further on the asymptote that nears perfection ;).

Tired of the basketweave science I made an oak leaf arm guard.

Comments, advice, critique and praise welcome.

P1060123.JPG

P1060118.JPG

P1060120.JPG

P1060119.JPG

Interesting, I never thought of using a template. I'll have to give it a try next time.

Jeff

Wow!  That's really cool!  Really nice work!

That is some perfect basket weave on a belt.  Nicely done.  Oak leaves are outstanding as well.

YinTx

Thank you all for your kind responses!

I'm actually looking for a basketweave template that holds the stamp in place for each Impression .... in other words: a machine that does the precision work for me ... 

No such thing of course, so I had to content myself with an angled ruler.

It helped.

... but I shouldn't have freehanded the border cuts ... 

Thanks for callilng my basketweave perfect, YinTx, but I've just looked at your latest rifle sling ... thanks anyway!

Concluding I'd like to present you a page of flawless basketweave!

On paper of course. I'll use it for planning the flow of basketweave around a medallion.

basketweave.jpg

Really nice belt and arm guard. Great stamping and carving the colour is really rich as well.I have a few different basket weave stamps and have been wondering how to set a different angle on a belt. I have only done 2 belts so far with a basket weave and on both the pattern is running parallel to the belt. Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the compliment, Noobleather.

I just measured my other Berry King basket stamp (both stamps that I own are size 3, I guess) and calculated its "ideal angle" which is 32,276°, that's ridiculous of course, so let's say: "a tiny bit more than 32°".

Simple trial and error on scrap leather may yield the same result. I prefer to use a large angle meter that allows fine tuning.

I hammered some impressions into a piece of scrap leather and (again) found the calculated angle to be just right.

basketweave 02 length.jpg

triangle calculator.jpg

basketweave 02 width.jpg

P1060124.jpg

Amazing what a little bit of math will do for the finished product!  :specool: