Josh Ashman

Progress pics of Threepersons with San Carlos borders

We anxiously await the final results, Josh...as always! Thanks for dragging us along on this one! One of these day's I'll get me some of that thair antique-ing paste and give it a try...if I ever get the time to try some decent stamp work. Your instructions/hints herein have been helpful...

While this may not be a step x step tutorial it's providing an excellent insight into some of the processes involved.Looking forward to the end results.

Very nice work.

Thanks again everybody! I got the 3 Threepersons holsters finished up. Here are a few pictures I took while getting them put together. Once I finish the full order I'll start a new thread with some finished pics of everything. 

Have a great day folks! 

Josh

001.thumb.jpg.3f40636f409cbd3d5d5301e63ab390d6.jpg002.thumb.jpg.4a4181e1396d0b45bc0576d7bfcd7a52.jpg003.thumb.jpg.cf54245ee50851b9579594851e1f7b99.jpg010.thumb.jpg.98d5f193044878a6d0d74f92c94a64c8.jpg013.thumb.jpg.1fbae0d09f2f318943e4daa11824b5c9.jpg

Really super looking, . . . great job.

AND, . . . congratulations on the amount of patience you have, . . . I would never be able to keep my sanity with that much tooling.

May God bless,

Dwight

22 hours ago, Dwight said:

Really super looking, . . . great job.

AND, . . . congratulations on the amount of patience you have, . . . I would never be able to keep my sanity with that much tooling.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight! I appreciate the kind words!

All the best, Josh

It has given me something to strive for - but I see an awful lot of practice ahead!

Love your holsters. I’ve been watching the progression of this project and appreciate the time you’ve taken to post pics and answer questions. I have a couple of questions to ask.  How do you layout your initial border lines?  Specifically, the 2 narrow lines that form each of your stamping borders. They seem so  “perfect”, they almost appear to be double lines laid out at one time. Is that the case or do you layout 2 separate lines ?  Also, you said 2 of the holsters got “highlighter” for a finish. Can you be specific about what product and/or technique you used to “highlight” your stamping. I’ve researched highlighter products but just too many for me to narrow it down. Your work is an inspiration to an amateur like me. I just hope to someday turn out work  that resembles yours. Thank you for your time and sharing your talent and experience. 

18 hours ago, dikman said:

It has given me something to strive for - but I see an awful lot of practice ahead!

Thanks Dikman! 

51 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Love your holsters. I’ve been watching the progression of this project and appreciate the time you’ve taken to post pics and answer questions. I have a couple of questions to ask.  How do you layout your initial border lines?  Specifically, the 2 narrow lines that form each of your stamping borders. They seem so  “perfect”, they almost appear to be double lines laid out at one time. Is that the case or do you layout 2 separate lines ?  Also, you said 2 of the holsters got “highlighter” for a finish. Can you be specific about what product and/or technique you used to “highlight” your stamping. I’ve researched highlighter products but just too many for me to narrow it down. Your work is an inspiration to an amateur like me. I just hope to someday turn out work  that resembles yours. Thank you for your time and sharing your talent and experience. 

Thanks Humbug! 

I use a compass to lay out the lines and then cut them with a swivel knife. I start by laying out the line closest to the edge of the leather and use the leather edge as my guide. Once that line is lightly marked I cut it and then use that cut line to layout the next line. Different people do this in all manner of different ways and there are many specialty tools that a person can get, this is the method that seems to work for me. Practice makes you better, I still have tons of room to improve but when I first started trying it my borders were rough! I usually make my first line in 5/8" from the outside edge of a stitched line and 1/2" from an edge that isn't stitched. I aim for the next space to be 3/32", 1/16 is impossible for me to cut and have look OK and 1/8" looks too wide to me. The next space, which is the center is determined by what you're putting down the middle, with the "San Carlos" stamp I use it's just under 3/8". then the last line is spaced at 3/32" again. Hopefully that makes sense and answers your question. The first round of pictures shows the compass I use, it's a relatively cheap one I picked up from Tandy about 10 years ago.

The finish you asked about is Fiebings Hi-Liter, here's a link https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-Hi-Liter-Finish-Carved-Leather/dp/B00DTVHHT4  although I get it by the quart. I apply it with a piece of scrap shearling making sure to get it worked into the tooling and not leave any "voids", let it sit a minute or two, then wipe the top of the leather off with a damp paper towel trying to avoid washing out the tooling too much. FYI, when I put on an antique finish it's this same process and Fiebings liquid acrylic antique. 

Have a great Friday and weekend folks! 

Josh

Thank you. That’s exactly the information I was looking for. I was fearful my question wouldn’t make sense but you nailed it. Your work is impeccable. I appreciate your lengthy and detailed response. Even I can understand it!!! 

You’re a talented artist and most generous to share your time and technique.

Thanks again,

Humbug 

Gotta go cut some leather

On 7/6/2018 at 3:05 PM, Humbug said:

Thank you. That’s exactly the information I was looking for. I was fearful my question wouldn’t make sense but you nailed it. Your work is impeccable. I appreciate your lengthy and detailed response. Even I can understand it!!! 

You’re a talented artist and most generous to share your time and technique.

Thanks again,

Humbug 

Gotta go cut some leather

Thanks Humbug, I'm still just learning myself :) Happy I was able to be helpful! 

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Josh Ashman said:

Thanks Dikman! 

Thanks Humbug! 

I use a compass to lay out the lines and then cut them with a swivel knife. I start by laying out the line closest to the edge of the leather and use the leather edge as my guide. Once that line is lightly marked I cut it and then use that cut line to layout the next line. Different people do this in all manner of different ways and there are many specialty tools that a person can get, this is the method that seems to work for me. Practice makes you better, I still have tons of room to improve but when I first started trying it my borders were rough! I usually make my first line in 5/8" from the outside edge of a stitched line and 1/2" from an edge that isn't stitched. I aim for the next space to be 3/32", 1/16 is impossible for me to cut and have look OK and 1/8" looks too wide to me. The next space, which is the center is determined by what you're putting down the middle, with the "San Carlos" stamp I use it's just under 3/8". then the last line is spaced at 3/32" again. Hopefully that makes sense and answers your question. The first round of pictures shows the compass I use, it's a relatively cheap one I picked up from Tandy about 10 years ago.

The finish you asked about is Fiebings Hi-Liter, here's a link https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-Hi-Liter-Finish-Carved-Leather/dp/B00DTVHHT4  although I get it by the quart. I apply it with a piece of scrap shearling making sure to get it worked into the tooling and not leave any "voids", let it sit a minute or two, then wipe the top of the leather off with a damp paper towel trying to avoid washing out the tooling too much. FYI, when I put on an antique finish it's this same process and Fiebings liquid acrylic antique. 

Have a great Friday and weekend folks! 

Josh

Thank you for taking the time to explain how you layout your border.  The holsters are awesome.  Good job!

10 hours ago, Steve75 said:

Thank you for taking the time to explain how you layout your border.  The holsters are awesome.  Good job!

Thanks Steve!