DonInReno

Singer 132k6 head

On my wish list is a singer 132k6 - it's classic old school shape alway sparks memories of childhood.  One great deal was missed because of bad timing/schedule conflicts and almost a year has passed since with nothing.  I can get a mostly stripped head for $150 but I don't know 100% for sure it's a 132k6 or something similar but different.  A second head has more parts for $150 more and still has the label. Knowing a partial machine is like a hole in the sewing table that sucks money in, there is no doubt this is not saving any money in the long term, but it gets the project started. My thought was to refinish the stripped head and when another complete head comes along moving all the bits over.

In side profile the unmarked machine looks correct, but what do you think? I'd feel silly doing a full repaint on the wrong model of head!  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well, 132K parts no longer grow on trees - some are still available because Seiko and Mitsubishi and so forth are still making similar machines but I´m not sure if all parts are interchangeable. Not sure what other parts are on the black machine but the silver one looks totally stripped - I would not buy it. I think I would not buy any of them as it will be really expensive. You are aware of what it will cost to restore them, right?

Edited by Constabulary

I would agree with Constabulary. these machines are not worth the bother as they are missing basically all of their parts. $150 each i would call that "DAYLIGHT ROBBERY."

It's not just the parts, if the screws are missing, well, I think we all know how difficult it is to find screws for sewing machines!!

+1

Walk away - Only value here would be if you had a complete one that was cracked in half or something, and just needed the casting.

Otherwise, nothing but scrap value - Someone's got a lot of nerve asking that much :wacko:

I'll have agree with all of the above good advice too,only buy one them if you find a complete machine w/a broken casting,otherwise only buy a complete machine.The hook & bobbincase alone for these is around $300.00

After reading too much last night about different variants I’m convinced the silver one isn’t a k6 anyway - it appears to be a non-walking foot version - something like a k10...and everyone is right about getting a whole machine to start with - you guys helped saved me $$

What they said.  I think a better description of these is 'boat anchor'.  I bought a complete, well functioning, cleaned up 132k6 for $750 on table with clutch motor.  Best part was the original small format manual.

Did you just buy the k6 that was on the San Francisco craigslist?  It looked good.  If it was $100-$200 less I would have taken a day off to drive over and look at it.  I’d love to find a crusty one for cheap