Hildebrand

Belt slide for rifle shells.

How do you guys do a belt slide for rifle shells?  I tried one I drew up and it is way to deep for my taste, 30-06 shells are right at 3.25” so with enough height to protect the full length it ends up being very large. 

Thanks

Todd

Personally, . . . from my hunting experience, . . . I don't even think of a belt slide for .308 or 30-06.  A butt stock carrier, . . . or pocket carry is much preferred, . . . and the length of the shells is the singular reason why.

I would make one for  a customer if he demanded I do so, . . . but it would be reluctantly, knowing after a couple hunts it would go in his drawer with the useless holsters he bought down through the years.

May God bless,

Dwight

Agreed on the length making a slide difficult.

I made a pouch/case for a customer that did the trick.

20151219_200032_resized.jpg

20151219_200008_resized.jpg

Thanks guys thats pretty much the concussion I came to I just wondered if I had missed something. 

Todd

2 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

concussion

Must have got quite a knock on the head!  Hope you recover quickly.

Tom

Over the past 45 years or so the majority of my hunting (Colorado mule deer, elk, antelope) has been done using a single-shot rifle, usually a Ruger #1 (.30-06, .25-06, 7mm Rem.Mag.). Hunting seasons here are typically during pretty cold weather requiring heavy clothing. Not very many options for carrying extra ammunition that will work, and a belt slide is way down the list of possibilities (because the belt is underneath a lot of clothing!). I always just carried a few rounds in my jacket or hunting vest pocket. Conditions might be different where you are located.

One thing that never changes, and that is the simple fact that a customer orders an item expecting it to perform in a certain manner (based primarily on his imagination), and when the product doesn't perform as the customer expects the customer will always remember that the maker failed to meet his expectations, but he will never remember that it was his poor idea to begin with. Don't think for a minute that some customers won't bad-mouth you to others after you have gone out of your way to give them exactly what they asked for.

I actually like the idea of a buttstock cartridge carrier (with appropriate warning to the customer to remove it during the off season to avoid damage to the stock), or a padded sling with a couple of cartridge loops to keep spares close at hand. Those are a couple of ideas that could actually work in the field, in my opinion.

Reality? A hunter of small game or birds might need a couple dozen rounds readily at hand, but a large game hunter seldom requires more than one or two to fill the freezer (assuming that he is competent). With the typical bolt-action hunting rifle having a 4 or 5 round internal magazine I can't see much to be gained by carrying additional ammunition into the field.

Best regards.

Edited by Lobo